iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » Veronica Mars

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Veronica Mars
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Veronica Mars opening credits

Neptune, California is full of rich and powerful citizens... but it appears at times that they make the rules just so they can break them. Which makes for the perfect environment for Veronica Mars.. a fearless 17-year-old apprentice private investigator dedicated to solving Neptune's toughest mysteries.

Veronica used to be one of the popular girls, until her best friend, Lilly, was murdered, and her father Keith, who was sheriff at the time, was removed from office after naming Lilly's rich father as the lead suspect. During the day, Veronica must still negotiate high school like any teenager, but at night she helps with her father's struggling new private investigator business.... and what she will eventually discover may just tear the town of Neptune apart...

"Veronica Mars" is a brilliant tv series created by Rob Thomas.. it is currently available on Netflix and I highly recommend that you seek it out. Season 1 is just incredibly witty and by mid season, you will be staying up late at night wanting to watch another episode. They did such an excellent job at the end of each episode making you crave the next show. I just finished rewatching all of season 1 and it was just awesome!

The key to Veronica Mars is the character development.. and though each character is amazing flawed, you will find yourself rooting for several of them in ways you just can't explain.

Here's some of the cast:

Kristen Bell ... Veronica Mars
Percy Daggs III ... Wallace Fennel
Jason Dohring ... Logan Echolls
Enrico Colantoni ... Keith Mars
Francis Capra ... Eli "Weevil" Navarro
Teddy Dunn ... Duncan Kane
Tina Majorino ... Cindy 'Mac' Mackenzie
Amanda Seyfried ... Lilly Kane

-

Kristen Bell's performance as the smart, scrappy, cute, and clever Veronica is almost mesmerising at times. You really do feel like you are experiencing a quite unique show.

Okay.. I'm on an 80's site discussing "Veronica Mars" .. makes sense right? Well, there is at least an episode in season 1 with an 80's flare to it called "Ruskie Business":

As Valentine's Day approaches, Veronica finds herself working as a love detective, tracking down Meg's secret admirer and helping a Russian woman find her missing fiancé an actor named Tom Cruz, both with unexpected results.

-

Everything culminates at the school's appropriately named 80's themed "Total Eclipse of the Heart" dance. Great tunes are heard in this episode .. "One Thing Leads to Another" - The Fixx, "Time After Time" - Cyndi Lauper, and "True" - Spandau Ballet. They even quite impressively reproduced Andie's prom dress from "Pretty in Pink".

"Veronica Mars" is such an underrated adventure!

[ 27. October 2010, 16:54: Message edited by: Valley ]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love Veronica Mars!

I actually did not originally watch it on tv.........I would always see things mentioned about it after it was cancelled.....then I saw the dvd's for $10 each at Target and I bought them blindly........that's the only time i've done that for a "new" tv' show and I didn't regret it!

That was 3 years ago or so..........and I just started watching them all over again........and I love that I forgot the cases because I get to try to solve them all over again [Smile]

It's totally what Valley said "incredibly witty"
it's well written with awesome characters you grow so attached to Veronica and her Dad Keith Mars and their crazy scams to solve their case.........
 -

You know when your watching a tv show on dvd and the freaking theme song gets so annoying you zoom through it every episode???

for some reason I still love singing along "we used to be friends a long time agoooooooo"

I haven't made it to the 80's episode this time....but I just might today and i'll get back to you guys cause I barely remember it???

anyone else gonna watch Veronica Mars?

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been wanting to see this show! I'm going to put it in my Netflix instant watch queue for sure.
Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
never watched the show when it aired, but i always wondered about it. [Smile]

i saw it on netflix so i might watch it!

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok just watched the 80's Episode! The 80's part only plays for a tiny percentage.....I did remember it once it started......they really do a great job of recreating Andie's pink dress........haha

How come when new shows and movies use "Time After Time" I always tear up a bit and sing along???

It's a good episode for anyone who hasn't watched the show to get a taste for it though?

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
How come when new shows and movies use "Time After Time" I always tear up a bit and sing along???

Because you're a big softy.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Veronica, Ronnie and others.. I really hope you give "Veronica Mars" a chance. It is a hidden gem of a show that has developed a "Buffy" like underground cult following.

I can't say that it is for everyone, but if you grew up reading Nancy Drew or The Hardy Boys it might just be for you. Kind of a mystery that the puzzle pieces slowly fit in as the season evolves.. each episode stands on its own, but also intertwines with the next similar to "Buffy"..

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Vally! Long time no see! Great topic too. [Smile]
Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
Anyone looking into Veronica Mars?

Well I am a self admitted Veronica nerd and i'm in the middle of Season 2! haha

I really love this show and something that keeps me making notes is the soundtrack........I knew there was an actual soundtrack released and ...the songs in the show are AWESOME! here is a list from the CD:

1. "We Used To Be Friends" - The Dandy Warhols
2. "I Hear The Bells" - Mike Dougty
3. "I Know I Know I Know" - Tegan & Sara
4. "I Turn My Camera On" - Spoon
5. "No Sleep Tonight" - The Faders
6. "Dakota" - Stereophonics
7. "Sway" - The Perishers
8. "Long Time Coming" - Delays
9. "On Your Porch" - The Format
10. "Ocean City Girl" - Ivy
11. "Momentary Thing" - Something Happens
12. "The Way You Are" - 46bliss
13. "Lost & Found" - Adrienne Pierce
14. "Lily Dreams On" - Cotton Mather

I love the first 8 songs!

You can watch full episodes online free on the wb site! Could I be a better sales woman? [Wink]

Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just watched the first three episodes of season 1 and am now hooked! Thanks for the recommendation valley and muffy......the end of episode 3 (Justin looking for his father) was crazy, did not see that coming.
Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
Awesome Veronica!! keep watching it just gets better....I love this show......I wish it'd gone longer [Smile]
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
I think I ended up watching like 6 episodes yesterday, LOL...

One kinda cool thing for me that I noticed is that I have the same desk lamp as Veronica's, the little red one. I got it at Pier 1 years ago.

Where have I seen Veronica's Mom before? I swear she was in some 80's movies. I guess i could go look on imdb but you know...

Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Veronica's mom was in a few 80's flicks.. but my thought is that she is best known for "Vice Versa".

So awesome that you are enjoying "Veronica Mars".. it's like this incredible show that apparently nobody watch when it first aired. Take your time and enjoy the experience because at the end of it, you will be wondering why it ever ended.

But for now relish Season #1.. so many great moments still coming for you.

Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Started Season 2 of "Veronica Mars" tonight after a long break to savor the experience.

It is available on Netflix.. so it is time to join in on the fun!

But be warned by Near Dark Muffy.. it will suck you in and you will not want to do anything except watch the next episode.

Season 1 is just awesome!!

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Veronica Mars is fantastic! I discovered it mid-first saeson, but we didn't have a channel running it in my neighborhood. I finally caught season one when, for some unknown reason, the local CBS affilate ran it during the summer in the wee hours of Monday morning. My daughter bought me the season three box set this Christmas. I now own every episode!

No less than Stephen King and Joss Whedon raved about it. Whedon called it the best TV show ever. I think that it is one of the very best written shows ever, and Kristen Bell is mesmerizing. I love it because it has such universal appeal. No matter how rotten things are in my life, they are never as bad as in Veronica's. And you just have to be smart, never lose hope, and have a sense of humor. Perfect advice for anyone...

Season two is fantastic too, but three is a half-step down because the network interfered with it in an attempt to make it dumber for the average viewer and up the ratings. It is still excellent.

[ 16. January 2011, 11:01: Message edited by: Crash ]

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Wondering how many threads I've killed by being the last poster?)
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
Oh you didn't kill it Crash!

I love Veronica Mars.....I can't and won't stop raving about what an awesome show it was!!! Few and far between do newer shows make me laugh,love the characters and keep me intrigued and excited for every episode.....it's beyond awesome!!!!

Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
I'm on episode 8 of season 2 again.. such an incredible show!
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
Muffy and Valley, the three of us will join forces to spread the word that this little show--little seen, but much beloved by those who have--is one of the greatest. In my world, it stands in the profound company of shows like the original "The Prisoner," "Homicide: Life on the Street," "Twin Peaks," and the original "Life on Mars" as one the best shows anywhere, any era. If that isn't enough of an endorsement from me, I don't know what is! [Smile]
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
I'm finally finishing up Season 2 of "Veronica Mars".. I've spread out my watching to savor it. Such an excellent show with so many great subplots.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home