iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Social » Rewind Social Club » Music choice - 90's music

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Music choice - 90's music
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Today while I was busy cleaning, I puton Music choice (not sure what the channel is names now- I think it used to be Arena Rock). They were playing alot of 90's grunge music. Some great stuff- Alice in Chains, Mad Season, Screaming Trees, etc. I remember going out and buying the soundtrack to Singles. It's been 20 years since the 90's started, and the 80's are starting to become a blur to me. That time in my life, in the early 90's before I met my husband, was not a very good time. I think the grunge music just fit my mood then too. You see, my boyfriend dumped me, (I was at the ripe old age of 24) for an ugly, obese, acne ridden 15 year old! I am not joking. I was literally sick over the whole ordeal for about 6 months. So, what was your life like in the early 90's? Listening to all of that great grunge music brought back some old memories I had hidden away.
Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved the 90s. It was high school and college for me. I remember buying the Singles soundtrack, too. I absolutely hated the movie but loved the soundtrack. I wasn't so much of a fan of Alice in Chains back then but I am now. I know a lot of people didn't like grunge but I loved it. The 90s were a pretty good time.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 90s to me were a great experience: the music, college, little responsibility, the parties, etc. It's hard to believe it's been 20 years since the start.
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't like the 90's. Bland fashions, miserable music. The optimism of the 80's had died. No teen movies until towards the end of the decade and all of them seemed to be self-aware.

The internet was the upside of the decade. It was like the dawn breaking after a really long night.

I was at College during the 90's, but to me it was the time I really realised how much people were prepared simply to copy each other in order to have an 'identity'. At least the internet allows people with 'fringe' tastes to connect in a way they never used to be able to.

I spent the 90's stuck in the 80's. Which was illegal at the time.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love 90's music, perhaps a tad more than I love 80's music. The early 90's were are real mishmash of music styles - grunge was mildly popular here, Aussie pub rock, teenie pop, divas, even country and reggae were popular.

What other time could have one year feature number one songs like "Achy Breaky Heart", "I will always love you", "You don't treat me no good no more", "All that she wants", "Give it up" and "Slave to the music", not to mention "I hate everything about you", and "Hazard"?

One thing I noted of the charts in the 90's was that, here in Oz, there was always at least one Euro dance song in the top ten, be it "The Power", "Justified and Ancient", "Scatman", "Right in the night", "Try me out", "Sing Hallelujah", "Dum da dum", "I like to move it",... I could go on.

My favorite year for music in the 90's was 1996 - Wonderwall - Oasis
Spaceman - Babylon Zoo
Wannabe - Spice Girls
How Bizarre - OMC
Power of a woman - Eternal
One of us - Joan Osbourne
Where do you go - No mercy
California - 2Pac
Macarena - Los del Mar
Killing me softly - The Fugees
You're making me high - Toni Braxton
Give me one reason - Tracy Chapman
Just a girl - No Doubt
Mother Mother - Tracy Bonham

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stitch, you mentioned California Love by 2Pac. I hate (c)rap music, but I liked it in the 90s...2Pac, Snoop, Dre, Bone Thugs n Harmony...

I HATED the Spice Girls!!

I liked Oasis, too, and Silverchair. I loved their Tomorrow video. Ooh, and Spacehog's In the Meantime...I could go on and on. I loved 90s music.

Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, bit boring but at least you could define its sense of style, unlike the 00s.

Some good music across the board (e.g. Nirvana, Fun Lovin' Criminals etc). First half of the 90s movies were quite bad save a few bright spots like 'Glengarry / Glenross', 'Pump Up The Volume' or 'Goodfellas'. Things began to pick up in the last two years with 1999 being somewhat of a moviemaking landmark (e.g. Matrix, Office Space, Star Wars, Fight Club etc).

'The Word' pushed some boundaries of decency (and got away with it for sheer low brow entertainment value) but 'Eurotrash' dragged TV kicking and screaming into the moral gutter from where it's yet to escape.

Britney Spears, Christina Augelira (over a decade and I still can't spell her name: Who was better, and who really who cares?

That was the 90s.

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There were some good movies made in the 90's. Movies were one of the only things that didn't disappoint. 'Goodfellas' and 'Pump Up the Volume' were 80's movies that were released in the 90's.

'The Word', 'The Girlie Show', 'God's Gift', 'Man O Man', 'Eurotrash'; 90's TV suuuuucked! There were a handful of comedy highlights, but apart from that... [Frown] *

*British TV; there were lots of good US TV shows.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hated most of the fashion of the 90's, with a few exceptions. I think the whole flannel, grungy clothes, holey jeans thing was gross. Also the Brittany Spears thing with the belly tops and short cut-offs. So trashy. I liked the floral-y dresses with a denim jacket. I blame the 90's for the 2000's lack of fashion sense. There is a reason why What Not to Wear is so popular. All of those people who grew up in the 90's wearing grungy clothes or barely any clothes have no idea how to dress now that they are grown ups with jobs, spouses and kids!
Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That must be why I love dressing like a slob lol.
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home