iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 21C Movies » Control (Ian Curtis/Joy Division)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Control (Ian Curtis/Joy Division)
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
any joy division fans?

oh boy, i rented this one a couple of days ago (it was just released this passed week on dvd)...and i loved it.

i had been waiting because here in phx, there was no theatrical release last year.

did anyone else see it? i know TKO is going to watch it, i hope he likes it. because i thought it was great stuff.. the actor, sam riley, who portrayed ian curtis, did an excellent job.
along with him, the guys that played the rest of the band, really were performing the songs of JD! what a terrific job they all did.

it tells the story of ian curtis and this marriage to his wife debbie (at such a young age), how joy division began, ian's stuggle with epilepsy, his affair with another woman and how he wasn't able to handle the pressures of the fame, the band and his personal life. he committed suicide at age 23, in 1980.

JD's music is amazing, curtis was a great song writer, and i am also a fan of new order.

i hope you guys watch this movie, especially of you're a fan. [Smile]

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had been wanting to rent it because here in Smalltown USA we also had no theatrical release. Thanks for reminding me of its release....
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no prob motley [Smile]

go rent it!!!

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Contains 0.2% of Rewind Riboflavin
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I finally saw it and I loved it!

It’s definitely not a feel good movie. On the contrary, it’s dark and depressing, but.. touching.

I never knew much about the music Joy Division, except than for ‘Love Will Tear Us Apart’.
But wow… their music is really good and the songwriting pure poetry. I liked every single song in the movie. Even the ones ‘that weren’t supposed to be beautiful’. There were several great songs by other artists as well. Such as David Bowie, Iggy Pop, The Buzzc [Roll Eyes] cks..
The actors all did a wonderful job. Sam Riley was very convincing in the leading role. At least for someone like myself, who never saw footage of the real Ian Curtis.
Toby Kebbell was fantastic as the fast-talking manager Rob Gretton. In fact, he was the only one who was able to occasionally uplift the depressing atmosphere of this movie.
The woman who played the part of Annik Honoré was very pretty. She looked like a mix between a young Jennifer Beals and Kate Blanchet.

Now it’s just waiting for the weekend to come, so I can buy the movie, the soundtrack and JD’s Substance. See… I lost control already. [Big Grin]

Thanks for the tip Nowheregirl! [Cool]

Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

awwww you are more than welcome! i thought more people from this site would have either seen the movie or would want to??
it's a shame that there isn't much footage on ian.. perhaps a couple of interviews but that's it. he's so interesting to me.

i agree, the music is fantastic. true poetry, indeed.
and the woman who played annik was gorgeous...and is sam riley's lady in real life! [Wink] (they fell for one another on set) great comparison TKO..cate blanchet and jennifer beals is a good way to describe her...she definitely is beautiful.

manager rob was my favorite character, he cracked me up!

sam's portrayal was superb. i love the movements!

i'm so glad you loved it. i knew you would!

"i've no control anymore"

TKO
Contains 0.2% of Rewind Riboflavin
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just read this... [Eek!]

Ian Curtis memorial stone stolen

Ian Curtis's fame lives on years after his death
The memorial stone dedicated to former Joy Division frontman Ian Curtis has been stolen from a Cheshire cemetery.

Curtis was 23 when he hanged himself in the kitchen of his Macclesfield home in May 1980, shortly before the band were due to go on tour in the US.

Cheshire Police said the memorial stone was taken from where he is buried in Macclesfield Cemetery.

Officers are appealing for anyone with information on its whereabouts to contact them.

Detectives said the kerbstone, which has the inscription "Ian Curtis 18 - 5 - 80" and the words "Love Will Tear Us Apart" was taken sometime between Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday morning.

"Unusual theft"

A police spokesman said: "There is no CCTV in the area and there are no apparent leads as to who is responsible for the theft.

"This is a very unusual theft and I am confident that someone locally will have knowledge about who is responsible or where the memorial stone is at present."

We are agog that someone's gone to the trouble of taking it out. We are stunned

Tony Barker, Macclesfield Borough Council

Tony Barker, spokesman for Macclesfield Borough Council, which runs the site, said: "It would usually have flowers behind it and mementoes to Ian Curtis's life.

"It wasn't concreted in but tarmacked up to it.

"This has never happened before and we are agog that someone's gone to the trouble of taking it out. We are stunned."

Bill North, the council's services manager, added: "I'm shocked this has happened.

"Someone's gone to a great deal of trouble to remove the memorial stone and I hope our appeal will help return it as soon as possible."

Although the band reformed as New Order after Curtis's death in 1980, there has been an upsurge of interest in its work.

An acclaimed biopic about Curtis, called Control, was released in 2007 and a film documentary, called Joy Division, was released earlier this year.

Source: BBC NEWS

Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

are you kidding me?

that's awful!

i hope someone knows who took it does the right thing by encouraging them to return it or turns them in..

[Frown]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home