iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 21C Movies » Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wasn't sure where to put this topic. I wanted to see if anyone else saw it, and what they thought? I saw it this afternoon. We thought it was awful. This was the number 1 movie we had been looking forward to. I love the original "Raiders of the Lost Arc". It doesn't get any better than that. When we saw that Karen Allen was going to be returning to this one, I thought it would be really cool. They could have done so many things with it...but they didn't...it ended up being more along the lines of Close Encounters of the Third Kind. I honestly wished someone would have told us not to go see it, because it totally made us have a bad feel for Indiana Jones...because they totally messed this movie up. My son even wore an Indiana Jones t-shirt to the movie. It was a huge disappointment.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone else who wishes to respond, please do: my decision on whether to go or not will be based on the general consensus we find here.
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joker
Master Rewinder
Member # 3840

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for joker   Email joker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no i have not saw this yet but want to i will wait till it comes to dvd though
Posts: 307 | Registered: Feb 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ISIS:
I wasn't sure where to put this topic. I wanted to see if anyone else saw it, and what they thought? I saw it this afternoon. We thought it was awful. This was the number 1 movie we had been looking forward to. I love the original "Raiders of the Lost Arc". It doesn't get any better than that. When we saw that Karen Allen was going to be returning to this one, I thought it would be really cool. They could have done so many things with it...but they didn't...it ended up being more along the lines of Close Encounters of the Third Kind. I honestly wished someone would have told us not to go see it, because it totally made us have a bad feel for Indiana Jones...because they totally messed this movie up. My son even wore an Indiana Jones t-shirt to the movie. It was a huge disappointment.

Guess your review didn't surprise me in the least. LOL [Razz]
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deathbystereo80
Rewind Guru
Member # 2005

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for deathbystereo80   Email deathbystereo80   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone else seen this movie? I was planning to watch it sometime this week, but I've been hearing nothing but bad reviews. I'd love to get more opinions!
Posts: 562 | From: Santa Carla | Registered: Oct 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah...it isn't just my opinion about it...I haven't heard one good review about it either.

I had heard that the end was stupid, before I even went to see it...but I wanted to see it anyway.

I never really liked any of the other Indiana Jones movies like I did Raiders of the Lost Arc....

But...Go see it, and see what you think....I just wanted to hear from anyone else who had seen it to see if they felt the same way.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have not seen the sequels, and I am not interested in seeing this new one either. In retrospect, I am not as high on the first one ("Raiders Of The Lost Ark") anymore. Maybe because the original had too many slow spots in-between.

Also, this series was intended to be a tribute to the old small-budget short-subject serials of the 30's and 40's. But the Indiana Jones series are too long and too big-budgeted for that. Same thing for another movie that came out a few years ago, called "Sky Captain & The World Of Tomorrow".

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I look at it like this...I want to see this movie. I could care less about reviews from "critics." I've found that just because a movie has good reviews means nothing at all. So I will see it, maybe buy it, and form my own opinion.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

It will be interesting. But I think I need to see it on the big screen.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanstar
Senior Rewinder
Member # 4235

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Phanstar   Email Phanstar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved it!!!!!! I don't understand why people are smashing on it???
Posts: 97 | From: Kentucky | Registered: Jun 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought it was awesome. We went to the first midnight showing of it here and with 20 minutes left in the movie the lens broke! We got free passes and got to see it all over again though...
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool... I'm going this weekend... [Big Grin]
Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought it was very good, but it wasn't as good as Raiders or Last Crusade, but it was marginally better than Temple of Doom (which I really loved).

I will admit the plot was kind of strange for an Indy movie, but considering the far fetched plots of the others (religious relics, hearts being pulled out of people chests while still beating) it's not so strange I guess.

Excellent effects tho, nothing that was obviously CG, and great acting.

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK. I just saw it and I think it's good! You can't keep comparing this movie to the original. I think they did a good job making this movie. Honestly, for the theme and the premise of this movie, I don't see how they could have done better. I'm basing this on the storyline. Albeit a bit far fetched.

*** Possible spoiler ***

Did anyone happen to notice something just as they were were driving out of the warehouse? Did anyone see the crate at the bottom of the screen? Did you see what was in the crate?

[ 07. June 2008, 15:33: Message edited by: jdocster04 ]

Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's pretty much how Ebert saw it, noting in his positive review that Indy exists in his own world and should be judged largely by the facets of that world.
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."

Errr....ahhh... I Liked it too... [Smile]

x0x0ilymucho
Master Rewinder
Member # 6772

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for x0x0ilymucho   Author's Homepage   Email x0x0ilymucho       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it was a really good movie. personally i like the originals. im still not sure why they made this 4th one i thought the trilogy was fine the way it was. but it was pretty good
Posts: 102 | From: Hill Valley, 1985 | Registered: Mar 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
My son said that he read a review on movieweb.com that he thought was what was exactly what we were thinking when we saw this movie. The person who wrote it was saying how he was a fan of the first three...he thought Raiders of the Lost Arc was probably one of the best movies ever made, and 2 and 3 were good...but that this movie was just like every other new movie that has come out, with totally over the top CGI effects that show people doing impossible things and are nothing but action sequence after action sequence...and none of it is believable...he said that most new movies that's all they do....and I realized that is EXACTLY what I think is goofed up about new movies. They do action sequences that can't possibly happen. I remember watching the new Die Hard movie...and I didn't mind it as bad as this one, but after looking back at it...the action was so over the top...people fall off the sides of buildings...and they scale fire escapes like spider-man, and they run and jump on moving vehicles....and that whole scene with Bruce Wilis and the girl in the elevator...is so over the top...and that's what everyone has become so use to seeing...that they don't even think about...that it can't possibly be real.

I know that movies are movies...and your not suppose to read in to everything...but they use CGI in everything anymore, and the movies look like videogames.

I didn't like how they basically thew Karen Allen back in to this movie...she was tough in the first one...they made her seem like a total nag, and she was calling him "dear"-that just did not fit her character.

Raiders of the Lost Arc is on right now on USA...it's at the end....their faces are melting off....that is cool special effects....I just like the way this movie flows- they tried to almost redo scenes from Raiders in this new one, and it was too many years later to be doing that.

P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They redid the whole melting faces thing at the end of Last Crtusade as well, and there wasn't the outcry to 'nor rehash the same old scenes' that I read above.

Indy 4 is the biggest grossing movie of the year so far, on both sides of the atlantic. It's also given way more positive reviews than poor, and Die Hard 4 was the same last year.

I appreciate that with some movies, the originals were so good that almost anything short of perfection will pale by comparison, but these are NOT bad movies. They are pretty good movies that you are judging against the originals, unfairly.

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I honestly didn't see alot of CGI in the movie when compared to alot of others. There were actually many real stunts. I've actually saw alot of good reviews about it and as someone who was in the theater when we were seeing it said," They aren't trying to remake and/or compare with Raiders of the Lost Ark they are simply telling another chapter."
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And they have set themselves up for a further chapter with the ending....

@ jdocster04: Yup - saw the crate contents. That may well be the next one...

"Raiders of the Found Ark", anyone?

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by P.S. It's Paul....:
And they have set themselves up for a further chapter with the ending....

@ jdocster04: Yup - saw the crate contents. That may well be the next one...

"Raiders of the Found Ark", anyone?

It certainly opens the door for it... [Wink]
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I watched the "The Last Crusade" last night. I know I saw it on a date in the 80's, but I could not remember anything about it. My son likes it, so I wanted to see it now to compare it to the new one. It was made in 1989. I always have liked River Phoenix....but I thought he was doing a pretty bad acting job in this movie, and his hairdo was definately not a style you would have seen on a boy in 1912...so I thought that was weird....like why didn't they give him a better hair cut to fit the part...

I never saw the girl who played Elsa...in anything else, so I looked her up, and she was only 23 when they made that movie...she looked way older than that. Sean Connery seemed really old in that movie...and I know he's still alive....he actually was only 59 in that movie...he is only 12 years older in real life ...than Harrison Ford...so they must have been trying to make him seem older than he was.

It was pretty darn far fetched and flaky too at the end, with the guy in the tomb that had been there protecting the Holy Grail for 700 years...

so maybe I just haven't understood how these movies work, and how there's no way anything that happens in them can ever happen for real,

where I was thinking before that your suppose to believe that it has a slight chance of being real. Not!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home