iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 21C Movies » The Raid: Redemption (2011)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Raid: Redemption (2011)
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Anyone seen this Indonesian old-school action film directed by an English dude Gareth Evans?

"In the Jakarta slums, a derelict apartment building has become a no-go area - even the police are unwilling to enter.
It has become a safe-house for the most dangerous killers and gangsters.
A SWAT team infiltrate the building, under the cover of darkness, to remove its owner
- a notorious drug lord named Tama." (IMDb)

I read an interview where Evans said that the movie was influenced by Die Hard
and he also likes early 80s Hong Kong and John Carpenter movies.
I like this guy already [Smile]

The leading star Iko Uwais is a master of the Indonesian traditional martial art, Silat,
so they tried to make long Hong Kong style fighting sequences, no quick cuts and not much cgi.

I think that this is going to be a good one and will buy the dvd asap.

The Raid: Redemption trailer

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its just called The Raid over here and whilst it totally look slike my kinda film its a definite wait for the DVD rather than a trip to the cinema for me. Perhaps if it hadn't been released at such a busy time of the year I might have made the effort but with all the other great looking movies coming out this is a lower priority than it perhaps deserves.

1 Ruthless Noms [Cool]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watched also this one last december and it was a fantastic action feature!
Jakarta crime scene still going strong despite the fact
that Chris Noth did some serious damage back in 1988 [Big Grin]

Have you seen this film already, Johnny? Or anyone else?

Anyway, i highly recommend this modern action classic!

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was released here on dvd and blu-ray last october, but i haven't seen it.

To be honest, i hardly watch any new movies. But maybe i should give this one a try.
I was looking forward to seeing David Cronenberg's latest, Cosmopolis, which was released
here last month. Unfortunately the dvd and blu-ray didn´t have any of the extra´s from the US and UK releases
(which include a feature-length documentary as well as a Cronenberg commentary).
So i passed on buying the Dutch release. I'd rather keep my eye out for one of the import versions.

Current Dutch dvd and blu-ray releases often lack the quality i've come to expect from most imports
that i've bought over the years. The independent labels just aren't that special when compared to
US and UK companies. They hardly ever carry over the extra's that are present on the import versions,
and usually they have truly hideous cover-art.

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Yeah, i also hardly watch any new films but my older brother gives awesome suggestions
so i only need to watch the best ones [Smile]

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did some research here, and it turns out The Raid actually has had a pretty good Dutch release.
Most extra's from other editions have been carried over, which is surprising because it was released here
by the same (independent) company who also did Piranha 3-D (2010) and The Crazies remake (2010) here.
Both were released without any of the extra's from the US and the UK editions.. and there were many on those discs !
I think only the The Raid's director's commentary isn't ported over. Not really 100% sure though.

It currently sells for 11 euro for the blu-ray, and 9 euro for the dvd version.

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I quite liked it, but I prefer the new Dredd movie which has the same premise (I mean *exactly* the same!)
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Can´t wait to get Dredd (february 8th blu-ray/dvd release here)
They finally made it right.
UK rocks when it comes to action films nowadays. I also loved Doomsday (2008)!

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
It cetainly wasn't hard to tell which movies director Neil Marshall (Doomsday) grew up with ! [Big Grin]
aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
So true, exactly the same movies we did [Smile]
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
Yeah, and to throw in some Frankie Goes To Hollywood in Doomsday's finale was equally surreal and genius ! [Big Grin]
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
The Raid: Redemption was on TV here last night. Pretty cool movie indeed. Intense fight scenes definitely steal the show.
And i really liked the very last scene where the good guy's criminal brother walks back to the apartment-building
and starts smiling, suggesting that perhaps he was the one who set it all up in an attempt to overthrow his bosses and
gain control himself. Or at the very least benefiting tremendously from the newly created situation after the raid is done.

Maybe i was seeing things that weren't there, but that's what i got out of it.

Here's the scene i'm talking about (in German, but you still get the idea) :
www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1KPmX20F8Y

aTomiK
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
Glad that you watched it, it´s a very good film. I´ve yet to see the sequel The Raid 2 (2014) but have the blue.
Maybe it´s time to finally check out Dredd too...

-

Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
I caught the second half of The Raid 2 on Dutch TV last night.. and what can i say ?

The Raid 2 is brutal... No, let me repeat that : BRUTAL !

The story is more complex, the runtime is 150 min. (!), and of course the fightscenes are beyond spectacular !

Very bloody and ultra-violent, it's an all-out assault on the senses. This is NOT a movie for the easily offended !

-

This lovely couple told me to buy the blu-ray a.s.a.p. , and i know they ain't messing with me ! [Big Grin]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home