iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 21C Movies » The Art Of Getting By (2011)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Art Of Getting By (2011)
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What can i say.. I always continued to have a soft spot for teen movies. So every once in a while
when a movie comes out that isn't just simply a teen sex comedy, i'm always curious to take a closer
look at it. (but eventually ending up feeling.. well, old.. but that's a different story) [Smile]

The Art Of Getting By's storyline is simple :
,George a lonely and fatalistic teen who's made it all the way to his senior year without ever
having done a day of (home)work is befriended by Sally, a popular but complicated girl who recognizes
in him a kindred spirit.' (imdb)

The first thing that can be said about The Art Of Getting By is that it is very well-acted.
Freddie Highmore and especially Emma Roberts are good in the leading roles and get excellent support
from several of the people around them including Alicia Silverstone as one of their teachers.

I somehow ended up having mixed feelings about this though, mostly because the two lead characters
are overly self-aware of everything that's happening around them and about life in general.
Especially the character of George, who we are supposed to believe is disinterested in everything
around him, but never passes on the opportunity to tell people about his disinterest.
The problem is that it seems to have been written by an adult who adds his knowledge
he (or she) gained throughout his (or her) life to the fictional teen characters of George and Sally.
That's probably the reason why they are constantly overly self-aware to the point where it gets annoying.

The first half of the movie didn't really do much for me, but somewhere midway-through there's
a scene where George and Sally are on a date on Valentine's Day when Sally asks George if he wants
to have sex with her, but when George doesn't respond in the way she expected, quickly dismisses
it as a joke, leaving George irritated and even angry.
That was really the first scene up until that point where we actually feel some emotional depth
,not only about George but about Sally as well.
Things get more complicated and far more interesting after that.

The Art Of Getting By is good, likable and even charming, but not without its flaws.

-

[ 20. April 2012, 07:07: Message edited by: Johnny Roarke is reckless ]

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just watched the trailer and it was pretty cool.
I liked Emma in Wild Child which was fluff but fun flick.

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Johnny Roarke is reckless
Rewind Icon
Member # 9826

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Johnny Roarke is reckless   Email Johnny Roarke is reckless   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't even realise Emma was the daughter of Eric Roberts, and thus Julia's niece.
She definitely has the same talent as her relatives, that's for sure !

Prior to The Art Of Getting By she also starred in a movie called It's Kind Of A Funny Story.
I haven't seen that one yet, but i think i will be picking it up on dvd or blu-ray as well.
Judging by the trailer it has the same target-audience as The Art Of Getting By.
Both seem to be more serious teen comedy / drama's instead of being teen sex comedy's.

It's Kind Of A Funny Story also feels somewhat like a modern One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.
Here's the trailer for that one : www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_pq7HKc9z8

Posts: 2176 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home