iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 21C Movies » Sleepless (2001) (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Sleepless (2001)
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Watched Non ho sonno aka Sleepless last night.
A horror movie directed by Dario Argento and starring Max von Sydow, Stefano Dionisi and Chiara Caselli.

"An elderly and retired police detective and a young amateur sleuth team up
to find a serial killer whom has resumed a killing spree in Turin, Italy after a 17-year hiatus." (IMDb)

In 2001 Argento still knew how to create atmospheric scenes
and the score, composed by the legendary group Goblin, certainly helps.
Especially the train scene is brilliant.

Once again Sergio Stivaletti has created the awesome visual effects,
some very nasty kills in this one.

-  -

So, April seems to be the Dario Argento month for me [Smile]

Anyone seen Sleepless?

Sleepless trailer

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's ok, but my least fave Argento.
Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Non ho sonno" a/k/a "Sleepless" is good enough. What I liked about it was that of my favorite directors who tried to do comeback retro flicks as homages to themselves--DePalma with "Raising Cain" and Carpenter with "Ghosts of Mars"--Argento's actually works the best. It's certainly better than his "Trauma" and "Phantom of the Opera." My vote for weakest Argento is the mess that is "The Mother of Tears."
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crash:
It's certainly better than his "Trauma" and "Phantom of the Opera."

Is it hell [Razz]

Mother of tears is a fun mess [Razz]

Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL. If Argento hadn't made some of my favorite horror films ever, I might've found amusement in "Mother." It is a disaster that only a great filmmaker can make, like DePalma's "Bonfire of the Vanities," Carpenter's "Village of the Damned," Coppola's "Jack," the directors involved in "Four Rooms," and on and on... [Smile]
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Oh no, don't talk to me about Village of the damned [Frown] [Razz]
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Helen_S:
Oh no, don't talk to me about Village of the damned [Frown] [Razz]

Leave Village of the Damned alone! Leave it alone!
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Don't worry, I'm not going near it  -  -
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
ROFL. You two are too funny! Did you want me to say "Ghosts of Mars" instead of "Village of the Damned"? That one is not good either, but unlike "Village," at least it moves along and is a little entertaining. Seriously, here is my argument. "Village" doesn't work at all for me because it's just not a Carpenter movie; it feels like it was directed by someone else. It has the dullest visual style of any Carpenter film--it looks like a made-for-TV movie. The acting is serviceable at best, and Carpenter brings nothing to the table to make it different from or better than the classic original. I can appreciate a defense of it because it's not the worst film ever made, or not even really a terrible film. It's just a disappointing misfire coming from a master like Carpenter. If it makes you feel better, I also don't really like DePalma's "Raising Cain," which is like a best-of DePalma highlights reel done by somebody other than DePalma. (People always complain about DePalma's "borrowing" from Hitchc-o-c-k. That never bothered me. His stealing of Argento's shot in the last scene of "Tenebrae" did. It was indicative of how little energy DePalma put into "Cain.")

I shan't mention it again. [Smile]

Helen_S
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
Agree with everything on Village. Of all the Carpenter films I've seen that and Escape From New York are the only 2 I really don't like. I've not been able to get past about half an hour of Ghosts of Mars. I feel like watching his best, Assault On Precinct 13, to wash away these memories now lol

Hehe, Cain is enjoyable for me [Razz] [Smile]

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Helen_S:
Don't worry, I'm not going near it  -  -

Someday... someday... your little bag of tricks will be mine!

quote:
ROFL. You two are too funny! Did you want me to say "Ghosts of Mars" instead of "Village of the Damned"? That one is not good either, but unlike "Village," at least it moves along and is a little entertaining. Seriously, here is my argument. "Village" doesn't work at all for me because it's just not a Carpenter movie; it feels like it was directed by someone else. It has the dullest visual style of any Carpenter film--it looks like a made-for-TV movie. The acting is serviceable at best, and Carpenter brings nothing to the table to make it different from or better than the classic original. I can appreciate a defense of it because it's not the worst film ever made, or not even really a terrible film. It's just a disappointing misfire coming from a master like Carpenter. If it makes you feel better, I also don't really like DePalma's "Raising Cain," which is like a best-of DePalma highlights reel done by somebody other than DePalma. (People always complain about DePalma's "borrowing" from Hitchc-o-c-k. That never bothered me. His stealing of Argento's shot in the last scene of "Tenebrae" did. It was indicative of how little energy DePalma put into "Cain.")

I shan't mention it again.

I agree with everything you say about all the movies; 'Cain', 'Mars', 'Damned'. Damned is a weak movie... but it's Chris Reeves last movie! That, and it's an all too rare 'John Wyndham' adaptation (which we really should see more of).
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
A friend of mine gave me the BBC TV adaptation of "Day of the Triffids," which I need to watch to get my Wyndham fix. He really was such an influential science fiction writer. I love the original "Village," the sequel "Children," not so much.
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i liked bonfire of the vanities, but i never read the book, what it is about it you guys dont like?
Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amaranth
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8882

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for amaranth   Email amaranth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I havent seen Raising Cain for years but i remember it being really disturbing and John Lithgow being really creepy in it. Love Village of the damned LOL [Big Grin] whats not to like kids white hair killing their adopted parents yeehaa!
Posts: 456 | From: Scotland uk | Registered: May 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sleepless,i really liked that one atomik,my wife really digs argento movies,that along with phenomena are her favourites,talking of depalma's raising cain when i first saw it i hated it with a vengeance,many years later i saw it going really cheap on dvd and for some strange reason went and purchased it and really enjoyed it! maybe the first time i watched it i was not in the right mood for its twisty turny plot! as for village of the damned,i to think it is one of carpenter's worse,i also feel it is shot in the style of a made for tv movie rather than a theatrical release but i still find it strangely rather entertaining and must admit to owning it! i suppose carpenter at his worse is still a million times better than many other directors!

[ 29. April 2011, 03:51: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by The Good Package:
i liked bonfire of the vanities, but i never read the book, what it is about it you guys dont like?

The movie is just a hollow, shallow rendition of the book, one of the best of the last 50 years. The big things that I don't like about the movie: (1) Horribly miscast. Tom Hanks cannot play a cad, and this is probably his worst performance; (2) Acting that's all over the place. Many of the performances are so over-the-top that I wanted to scream. F. Murray Abraham, Kim Cattrel, and Saul Rubinek were apparently encouraged by DePalma to just chew scenery because they all give career-low performances; and worst of all (3) Completely wrong tone. The book is a brilliant, witty, sharp social satire. DePalma and company treat it like it's a zany comedy (You know that the film is in trouble when the funniest line is about AIDS) about a hit-and-run. In the late 60's and early 70's DePalma did some wonderful social satires, but here he's just adrift, the wrong guy for the job.

While "Bonfire" is not the worst film ever--and not as bad as most people think--it was doomed from the start.

The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh, i see what you mean, i read crichton's the lost world and was totally non plussed about the movie

hey by the way what is a "cad" ?

Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
"Cad" is a guy, unlike a gentleman, who doesn't care about anyone else, like Tom Hanks' character in "Bonfire."
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
so he would be a cad in the begining of the movie volunteers
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
Yes. And he's not great in that one either. [Smile]
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From Sleepless to Volunteers, this is how i like it.
Interactivity at it´s best, keep it coming guys [Smile]

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
hey by the way what is a "cad" ?
I never thought I'd see the day.
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never heard of a cad either to be honest.
Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
i learn something new everyday
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home