iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 21C Movies » Kickin' it Old Skool (2007)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kickin' it Old Skool (2007)
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

OK All! Hike up your L.A. Gears, put on your best parachute pants and neon shades! It's time to Kick It Old Skool!

I just watched this movie for the first time. I was gonna just post it in the "Last 00 Movie you watched" thread. But I felt it was worthy enough to have it's own thread.

OK. As cheesy as the cover art and title of this movie may be, don't let that fool you. This is a very funny 80's throwback comedy that had me laughing throughout almost the entire movie.

This movie stars who, IMO, is one of the funniest young comedic actors of the past decade; Jamie Kennedy...along with a handful of other great names. At first glance it may seem as though Kennedy is just rehashing his B-Rad character from the 2003 comedy "Malibu's Most Wanted."
But that's not the case. His character in this movie has a bit more depth and is alot more likable.

Synopsis/Plot:

In 1986, 12-year-old Justin "Rocketshoe" Schumacher and his breakdancing group, The Funky Fresh Boyz, are ready for the annual talent show. The somewhat shy Justin has a crush on Jen, giving her a Garbage Pail Kid card in exchange for her Smurfette figurine, before his rival, the obnoxious rich kid Kip, gives her an expensive necklace. Justin and the Funky Fresh Boyz start the show, and in an effort to impress Jen and win the contest, Justin uses a dangerous and untested headspin maneuver, flips off stage and falls into a coma.

Twenty years later, Justin is still in a coma. The doctors tell his desperate parents that at this point, there is little sign that Justin will recover, and they decide to pull the plug on him. As his parents say goodbye and leave, however, a janitor rolls by with a radio playing the same song from the 1986 talent competition, "Rockit" by Herbie Hancock, which jars his brain to function, waking him from his 20-year coma. Justin now finds himself suddenly 32 years old, his parents bankrupt from overdue life support payments, and Jen, who has become a girls' dance instructor, engaged to Kip. Kip is now an obnoxious promoter, and is set to host a breakdance contest broadcast on national television, with a grand prize of $100,000. Justin realizes that the money could help him repay his parents for what they've spent on his medical bills. Kip is sarcastic and still despises Justin, and schemes to keep him off the show and away from Jen.

Justin has a difficult time adjusting to both his deteriorated physical condition and the severe culture shock he encounters after 20 years, and is nearly arrested as a child predator before being recognized by a mall security guard, his old friend and Funky Fresh Boy, Darnell. Darnell, who is now both a toy store employee and a failed inventor frequently slapped around by his wife, explains much of what has changed in the past 20 years to Justin, before introducing him to the rest of the crew. Aki is an accountant, and has lost his old stereotypical Asian accent thanks to English classes; he is also trying to woo a colleague who claims he might have a 2% chance of sleeping with her if he were a professional breakdancer. Hector is now a meter maid, and is even more overweight than he was in school. Despite their reluctance to return to the 80's lifestyle, they agree to try to retrain their faded breakdancing skills to help Justin.

...this is just a partial piece of the plot taken from the Wiki page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kickin'_It_Old_Skool

My Review:

While it isn't a groundbreaker as far as 80's throwback comedies go. It's still very funny. And honestly, How many worthwhile 80's flashback movies can you think of off the top of your head?
Not many right? So, when compared to other failed movie similar to it, I think this movie shines through. Right from the get-go in the opening credits, you'll instantly be thrust back in time to your youth of the 80's. This movie never, for one moment, tries to take itself too seriously. It knows it's a cheesy comedy, and the actors know it too...therefore they all give a very funny performance throughout the film that should keep you laughing till the end.

The only real problem I had with this movie is that the ending was a bit far fetched and not very believeable, even for a feel-good 80's throwback. (There's no way in Hell they could win against the awesome moves of those kid's at the end.) Sorry if I gave away a bit too much there, but the ending did kind of urk me a little. But, other than that, this movie is really really funny and I can definately recommend it for all here.

I was very suprised to have never heard of this movie before accidently stumbling upon it online. I suggest you all don't let this one slip by...It is great and entertaining 80's Retro Fun!

My Rating: 8/10

-

[ 02. February 2011, 13:46: Message edited by: Pyromantic ]

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

I almost died when the asian guy couldn't remember how to do the robot. It's a ok movie, but a little dumb.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah..i can see why many would dismiss this as too cheesy it's dumb. You definitely have to be in the right mood to enjoy this one. I just happened to be in that mood when I saw this. So it was great to me.
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pyro.. sorry.. I thought I already commented on this thread, but somehow I must of gotten distracted before I hit send. I've seen this movie and agree that if you watch it in the right mood it has some funny moments. It couldn't string enough of them together for me to want watch it again, but it wasn't bad by any means.

I do think they missed an incredible opportunity for the ultimate break dancing cameo though. Adolfo Quinones aka Ozone from Breakin' fame worked as a choreographer on Kickin' It Old Skool.. and if they had brought him on as a replacement dancer at the end of the movie it would have been a move 80's fans would have really appreciated.

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just watched it. Had never heard of it before.

It was worth a watch for sure, but yeah probably won't watch again.

there were some really funny moments. The old bum was great.

I love it how Kip spazzes out at the end and says, "How many of you people know you're alive", from The Doors movie - 1991. I laughed hard at that.

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Valley:

I do think they missed an incredible opportunity for the ultimate break dancing cameo though. Adolfo Quinones aka Ozone from Breakin' fame worked as a choreographer on Kickin' It Old Skool.. and if they had brought him on as a replacement dancer at the end of the movie it would have been a move 80's fans would have really appreciated.

I agree with you Val. That would have just made this movie that much better if they did that.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home