iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » Movies » « 21C Movies » Take Me Home Tonight - 2011 meets 1988 (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Take Me Home Tonight - 2011 meets 1988
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FYI, Take Me Home Tonight comes out on dvd and blu-ray next week! Hopefully you guys check it out.... or not... see what you think? I liked it. [Smile]
Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lovers with Cassie
Remembering when Mel Gibson was young....
Member # 7794

203 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Lovers with Cassie   Email Lovers with Cassie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anthony33:
What year was Adventureland set in?

Adventureland is set in 1987.
Posts: 1756 | From: Australia. | Registered: Mar 2009 | Site Updates: 203  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I watched this last night for Ronnie [Smile]

The first 15 mins or so I was thinking "oh man i'm getting bored" but it quickly recovered!

I told Ronnie Ana Faris looks bad.......and those botox'd lips look baddddddd.

The lead looks like a blonde Kristen Stewart and I couldn't get past it the whole movie lol

I really liked reading Logan's points.....but I gotta give TMHT a little credit. I noticed quite often it didn't throw cliques in your face........I think they actually tried to make the movie itself play like an 80s film....look and feel like it was from the 80s.

I never was a fan of That 70's Show...or Topher Grace......but I enjoyed TMHT.

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

I'm such a cornball over this movie. I loved it more the second time around. It had me cracking up.

Anna Faris.. goodness.. I know she got lip injections before the House Bunny.. she was funny in the movie 'May', remember her in that?

She didn't even look 80s in this movie, I don't know what look they were going for with her, but noooo.... haha.

You're right about the KStew look alike, Muffy! haha you're favorite girl. [Wink]

I loved Topher Grace in this! I wasn't a fan of that 70s show either and never paid him any attention but he was so awkwardly sweet in this! Yay so glad you ended up liking it, Muffy!!

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Take me home tonight
I don't want to let you go till you see the light
Take me home tonight
Listen honey just like Ronnie sang.. Be my little baby"

Incredible tune!!!

Muffy .. I'm glad you gave "Take Me Home Tonight" a chance!  

-

I actually like Kristen Stewart as an actress, so the similarity in looks with Tori didn't bother me at all.  I thought Teresa Palmer was charming in this movie.  She gave Tori a cool and genuine personality behind her looks. 

-

I totally agree with you both on Anna Faris .. why didn't they go with the stylish look above? .. that would have worked so much better in my opinion.  

Originally saw this at the movie theater, so getting to watch "Take Me Home Tonight" for a second time with someone that truly appreciates our 'love' for the 80's..  made it magical!     [Cool]  

Just the open credits alone were enough to show me the careful thought that was put into this movie.  You almost need the 80's slo-mo that was used during the engagement announcement scene to be used on the opening credits to notice all the little details.

-

I truly cherish the entire movie, but my favorite scene that I'd totally love to recreate is the trampoline 'truth or dare' by the beautifully lit pool.  That pool was 80's awesome! [Smile]

This movie made me a Topher Grace fan.. he was just awkwardly brilliant as Matt. Plus, now knowing that he helped write the story and also discovering that.. Topher was such a big fan of the original "The Terminator" and get this Ronnie.. "Aliens" .. that Topher personally offered the role of his Dad in the movie to Michael Biehn.

I enjoy this film so much because it didn't try to copy the 80's, instead it embraced the spirit that we all truly appreciate about that time period.

[ 24. July 2011, 12:14: Message edited by: Valley ]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are still contemplating whether or not to give "Take Me Home Tonight" a chance.. please watch this:

Take Me Home Tonight red carpet

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

Valley! That red carpet clip was awesome! I totally would have wanted to be there ha.

Wow that lady that played Tori, I had no idea she was Australian.

Awww Topher.. [Smile] He's an Aliens fan!?! I love it. He's too cool.

I also like that pic of Faris above, and it doesn't really look like her ha. Love the blue nails.

I like that this movie had charm. Like Muffy said, it wasn't so 'in your face' with the cliches.
And the scene you mentioned Val, is too cute, I always love the moments in movies where the shy boy gets the cool chick, and the setting was great...so was the music. [Smile]

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lots of positive reviews from you guys. I still need to watch this one.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got this one from Netflix...plan on watching tomorrow!
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just finished watching TMHT and I thought it was awesome! It actually felt like it was the 80s, do ya'll know what I mean? Not like Adventureland, which was supposedly set in the 80s but didn't have the whole 80s feel.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

Awesome, petty! Glad you liked it. [Smile]

It was well done, and definitely felt 80s, not a movie about the 80s!

Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
Petty .. so awesome that you enjoyed "Take Me Home Tonight"

I can't wait to watch it again soon.. the opening credits are just so well done with so many great 80's tributes throughout.

And please watch the red carpet interview link above .. listening to Topher Grace reference John Hughes movies as inspiration was just too cool.

Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

OK, so I was watching Take Me Home Tonight, and I can honestly say that I didn't think it was great, more on the "Above OK" level. I think that it's a Grosse Pointe Blank meets Say Anything meets Can't Hardly Wait (As someone mentioned earlier.)

My biggest pet peeve is when you have a movie that is time based and they don't do the music correctly.

Here's an example of a time piece with correctly done music - Friday Night Lights. A 1988-1989 movie with music from Public Enemy that came out then. I think that retro movie's have been all the rage in the past 15 years or so, some are done well, some are not. I also think Adventureland had a good soundtrack for a retro movie, even though it was just a story based in 1987. Which is what this was, a movie based in 1988. But I think they tried to stay too much in the theme of "What is going to get this soundtrack to sell?" While Straight Outta Compton is a great song to use, Safety Dance wasn't. Safety Dance was a great song to use in Bio Dome. End of list.

The story was a classic case of I'm going to lie to you about my life and then you are going to find out right when things are going great. The Secret of My Success did this well. It's just done all the time, and I think that they could have done this a little differently.

That being said, Michael Biehn was great as the dad. Topher Grace had a decent storyline, and the friend was the classic case of guy that loses his mind. He's in the lineage of the divorced friend in Bachelor Party, Lue in Hot Tub Time Machine, and even a touch of Curtis Armstrong in everything.

I might think this movie is better the second time around. I just really didn't like his role. He's a MIT graduate that works at Suncoast. Odds on that happening 2%. It's a not a likely story. Having to come home to take care of a relative or because of a breakdown. More likely.

"Hey Dad, I just graduated from MIT. I think I'm going to get a job at the mall."

Eh. It's not cool.

The movie had some funny parts, but all in all, the songs were good, but if you have them already, the soundtrack is just something that is in the movie (besides the Valley Girl song). All good movie soundtracks have songs that you look up after the movie is done. If you look at the end of the movie for the song credits, it's a good soundtrack. Call me bias.

Sorry for being all over the place, I'm just typing as I remember.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's at my house now! Can't wait to watch it!
Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh boy...what I'm about to say is really hard to say...

I did not like this movie at all. I wanted to...I really wanted to but it did nothing for me [Frown] .

Ugh...I don't even know where to start... I didn't like or care about the characters at all, especially the obnoxious best friend who was a bad Sam Kinison rip off constantly yelling & not saying one thing that was funny. Additionally, it didn't look authentic to me at all. Some of the hairstyles were either too over the top 80's or borderline modern...didn't work. Poor Anna Farris wrecked her lips, why??? The supposed connection between Topher & Teresa felt so generic & contrived...they were trying for some kind of feeling but I just didn't buy it...I felt nothing [Frown] . Man, I'm sorry...

Bottom line, Take Me Home Tonight makes Hot Tub Time Machine look like Valley Girl...

And I didn't think Hot Tub was stellar...hmmm. Please don't be mad at me...I'm disgusted I didn't find a cool new movie tonight [Frown] .

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

I agree with a ton of that whole thing. Anna Faris was totally used wrong.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No film should ever misuse Anna Faris. She has great comedic skills and will do anything for a laugh. She can elevate substandard material--most of the time.

There was apparently a good reason this movie sat on the shelf for almost two years. I know a lot of folks don't like it, but I will stick with Adentureland, a really great little 80s slice-of-life. And it got the hairstyles right, at least. [Smile]

[ 08. September 2011, 21:22: Message edited by: Crash ]

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Crash:
There was apparently a good reason this movie sat on the shelf for almost two years. I know a lot of folks don't like it, but I will stick with Adentureland, a really great little 80s slice-of-life. And it got the hairstyles right, at least. [Smile]

I just watched Adventureland again and I totally agree. It was a story set in the 80's not just promoting it.

We are DEVO

Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
I love this movie .. sorry you folks didn't see what I saw! "Take Me Home Tonight" is a great movie in my opinion!

You really enjoyed "Adventureland" ?.. I thought it had virtually no 80's feel to it all. I was so disappointed in it. Not the 80's I remember. The soundtrack was pretty good though .. I've watched it twice with hopes I would enjoy it more.

I did enjoy "Hot Tub Time Machine", but I really don't see it as movie trying to be 80's .. making fun of it in a cool way .. maybe?

the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just this minute finished watching take me home tonight,really great movie,everything about it screams the 80s,whitney houston ,def leppard,back to the future and even a howard the duck poster,some great 80s tracks -dexys midnight runners,the buggles,duran duran,inxs etc.
very funny in places ,laughed a lot at the dance off sequence at the party,also thought the cast were all great,i especially liked dan fogler as the crazy best pal,he's not someone i've come across before but i thought he was very good in his part!
basically speaking it's a fun movie that left me with a big smile on my face and any film that manages that is a winner in my books!

great film!

http://youtu.be/0Jy4tMySp5o opus - live is life .

[ 18. September 2011, 03:58: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Late chiming in, but I just watched this movie last night....I really liked it. I didn't have huge laughs throughout the movie, but literally smiled through the whole thing....which is a positive, just to clarify....it made me feel happy. I like Topher Grace, loved Teresa Palmer...holy beautiful (wondering why I had never seen her before, so checked her IMDB....I don't think I've seen even one of the other movies she is in), and I agree about the Kristen Stewart comparison, Dan Fogler...he's funny just looking at him, and keeping with the theme....not an Anna Faris fan at all....makes me want to be an actor....if she can get jobs...anybody can!

I had seen Adventure Land when it first came out and was very disappointed, and also just recently seen Hot Tub Time Machine.....not a fan of that either. I think Take Me Home Tonight blows them both out of the water....by a mile.

* Admittedly, I don't watch too much TV, but, odd that I didn't even see one preview of this movie or even hear of it until Valley brought it up....certainly don't recall it being at my theatre. Anyway......two thumbs up....make that four....my wife liked it a lot too!

Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Member # 465

39 Updates!

To warrior & Kev, I am happy you both found yourselves smiling throughout the movie. That is exactly how I felt about the movie.. and I am sure Valley agrees.
The movie didn't have huge laughs all the way, but it gave me that giddy feeling. Regarding Palmer.. (haha "holy beautiful")...the more I think about it, she is gorg.. loved her entrance at the party with 'Bette Davis Eyes' playing.

I know not everyone is going to like this movie, but I am excited for those that do!

[Smile]

Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I finally got round to watching this and whilst it wasn't the endless laughter fest that I hoped it would be, it still had plenty in it to keep me entertained.

I thought the cast were excellent (when will Michael Biehn get a major comeback!?!) and the story worked well to a point. I agree that having the MIT Graduate choose to work in a video store was a bit of a push but other than that, no problems.

All in all, I'd give it a 6/10 making it not great but worth a watch.

Take Noms Home Tonight [Cool]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just tried to watch this. I could not make it past the first 30 minutes or so. I kept waiting for something to happen, other than the stolen car scene. Anna Faris looked so schlumpy and disheveled compared to the other girls. Not 80's at all. And then you have the other extras-almost every one of them was an over-the-top sterotype of an 80's character. Seriously, I don't know any people who dressed like any of the people in this movie just to go to a keg party. Maybe out to a nightclub, but usually you just saw people in jeans or casual/dressy clothes, not evening wear. The hair on most of the girls looked like bad unnatural wigs. This movie was so slow moving and boring, I just could not finish it. I'd give it one star out of five. Sorry guys, I just did not like this. CindiMancini had some good points about how bad this movie was too. (I also thought Adventureland sucked, but I enjoyed Hot Tub time Machine).
Posts: 2287 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen the 2011 film "Take Me Home Tonight" several times over the years. Excellent movie, which really brought back memories of the '80's time period & the films from that era as well.

The music was amazing & nostalgic - Duran Duran, The Buggles, etc. However, possibly my favorite song was the cover of the iconic '80's hit "Don't you Want me Baby" by "Atomic Tom"..though not nearly as good as the original "Human League" song, still better than most cover songs I've heard & definitely brought to mind a harder, edgier version - while still retaining the same vibe/tone of the '80's song.

And, I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought the actress who played Tori Fredericking strongly resembled a blonde Kirsten Stewart...to the extent than I actually thought she was KS at first....

As others have commented/observed, it's too bad this film was on hold for so long - by the time it was finally released in 2011, the whole "80's nostalgia" craze that we saw in the 200X's was already fading away. IMHO it would have been much better received if it had come out in 2007/2008, as originally planned....that being said, it was still a great film, and better late than never.

[ 04. March 2017, 11:28: Message edited by: Nostalgic for the '80's ]

Posts: 400 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home