iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Culture » Anything VHS / Betamax (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Anything VHS / Betamax
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tim Lucas, who used to publish Video Watchdog magazine, perhaps the best film magazine of all time, had an editorial a few years ago about stuff taped off of TV. He said that he was going through his collection of VHS tapes and throwing out things that he had bought on DVD when he realized, "Hey, for the stuff that I recorded off of TV back way back when, what if I'm the only one on earth who has a copy of a certain commercial or network ID or bumper? I'm throwing away history!" For all of us hoarders, that's pretty much the only justification we need to save VHS tapes, commercials and all.

And it is true. I have been searching for years for anyone who taped the entire series of a late-night syndicated movie show called The Canned Film Festival with Saturday Night Live's Laraine Newman, which ran during the summer of 1986. Somebody found an old tape of one episode and posted it on YouTube. Nothing else has ever surfaced. I have searched the grey market, the Internet, and collectors/traders and come up empty. It makes me wonder if the master tapes of the 13 episodes that they did are even still available. If not, it may be a show lost forever. So before you throw out that VHS tape... LOL

[ 22. March 2017, 07:58: Message edited by: Crash ]

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Legend
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jakey v. That's cool. The old commercials are fun to watch.

Crash. That's something to think about for sure. I have some old vhs from the early to mid80s. Its Mtv footage. I believe about 14 hours. Its fun to watch Mtv in its infancy along with the current news at that time. And the commercials are fun too.
Also Crash, perhaps when a person goes to an estatesale or any place that has old vhs that were
recorded at home they should think about just what you arettalking about and maybe buy them instead of considering them complete junk

Posts: 1989 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thenodfather
Master Rewinder
Member # 8732

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for thenodfather   Email thenodfather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't have a Betamax, but here's some interesting facts about it: https://legacybox.com/blogs/analog/fun-facts-about-betamax-tapes
Posts: 239 | From: Ireland | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home