iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Culture » Atari 2600 (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Atari 2600
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Icon
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice find Warrior! Mousetrap was a blast. Thanx for posting it, I had forgotten about it.
Posts: 2006 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alien
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 37378

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Alien     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had an Intellivision as a kid. [Frown]
Posts: 21 | From: Long Beach, California | Registered: Jun 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Icon
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

- posted      Profile for TerdNthePoolGGB   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember thinking the INtellivision was so much better than the Atari. My friends and I would go to this kids house and be in awe of his Intellivision.
Posts: 2006 | From: The deep end | Registered: Jun 2011 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Not a very clear photo I've found but was it anything like this alien,I can remember these systems but I think they were more popular stateside than here in the united kingdom.

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alien
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 37378

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Alien     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, that's an Intellivision. The Intellivision was indeed superior to the 2600, but ALL of my buddies owned a 2600 -- so I felt a little out of the loop.

Also, there were far more games developed for the 2600, and the Intellivision had probably the worst controllers ever devised.

Posts: 21 | From: Long Beach, California | Registered: Jun 2015 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for the young warrior   Author's Homepage   Email the young warrior   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

https://youtu.be/rIaWAyHIqok - Atari game over trailer.

Anybody seen the trailer for this - Atari game over - documenting the rise and fall of the Atari video games corporation,looks pretty interesting!

-

[ 24. September 2015, 12:20: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

Posts: 3243 | From: canterbury united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome trailer, i want to see this!
Posts: 7056 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never owned an Atari. My dad had a Radio Shack TRS-80 Color Computer though with a ton of games on it that he used to let us play once in awhile.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRS-80_Color_Computer

I played the Atari at my friend's houses who did own them. But from what I saw, the games on my old man's computer blew the games on Atari out of the water. The NES was the very first system that my parents bought for me that was solely mine.

[ 19. June 2016, 14:51: Message edited by: Pyro ]

Posts: 1803 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Icon
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

So the ET game killed the Atari off?

The NES was incredible.

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
So the ET game killed the Atari off?
It's not really that simple, but it damaged the company just before an industry wide slump hit.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jakey V
Master Rewinder
Member # 37348

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jakey V   Email Jakey V   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What caused the slump? It felt to me that people still played Atari until Nintendo came out.
Posts: 204 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: A Long Time Ago! | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had an Intellivision myself. Among my favorites were Lock 'n Chase, Night Stalker, and Shark, Shark!!
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jakey V:
What caused the slump? It felt to me that people still played Atari until Nintendo came out.

If I recall correctly - there was some overestimation of the market which caused companies to lose money, the competition increased, and people started moving from consoles to PC's, which caused investment in console games to flatline for a while and PC's took a few years to catch up in potential gameplay improvement so the whole market kind of went creaky for five years or so after a few boom years. Think of it like the dotcom bubble; boom, burst, chaos, some survivors become giants.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JCU
Master Rewinder
Member # 2851

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for JCU   Email JCU   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was complete over saturation with the consoles. You could buy an Atari or the version Sears would sell. Consoles were every where. Don't forget the sheer volume of shovelware released. E.T. is just the convenient scapegoat. I'd even add something else that did in Atari and that would be when the big name programmers starting jumping ship.
Posts: 115 | From: Northeastern PA | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Picked up a few Atari 2600 games over the last few months -

Kangaroo
Asteroids
Laser Blast
Berserk
Air - Sea Battle.

All pretty decent,Laser Blast is a bit repetitive and Air Sea Battle only makes for a fun Two player game but both still worth the small fees that I paid.

Kangaroo was the surprise one for me as I found it quite addictive as is Asteroids and Berserk.

Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A lot of those early Atari games are still excellent and addictive. I had a couple of cartridges of Atari emulations for my Sony PSP (now a dead system too), and I loved playing a bunch of them.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Yeah quite a few of them are really challenging and also very addictive,plus if your using one of the old Atari controllers absolute murder on your hands!

PSP is a fun little handheld,i always liked the Rocky Boxing game that they released on it,was great fun!

[ 31. May 2016, 14:58: Message edited by: the young warrior ]

TerdNthePoolGGB
Rewind Icon
Member # 9818

14 Updates!

You have quite the collection going there Warrior. Do you have the Atari Technology shirt? If not you should get one. To my surprise, there have been a few people start conversations with me when I am wearing mine. Just two days ago a guy grabbed me and was talking about his 5200 and all his buddies had the 2600. He gave me the impression that the 2600 he liked better. The funny thing is that you mentioned the Kangaroo game on here and this guy that grabbed me actually brought it up. He had it on 5200 and said it was pretty good. I thought of you when he mentioned that game. I don't remember that one but will keep an eye out for it for sure.
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
Kangaroo doesn't look much up on screen even by Atari 2600 standards but it plays great and is one the of the better platformer's for the 2600.
the young warrior
Rewind Idol
Member # 9554

Member Rated:
 -

Picked up a few more Atari 2600 titles of late

No Escape - https://youtu.be/gp-KHcFYltw

Dragster - https://youtu.be/P8x0Cp7XhRQ

Bump 'n' Jump - https://youtu.be/0WSncFdnqZs

Miner 2049er - https://youtu.be/HG81RJ5Jws8

Street Racer - https://youtu.be/63FtmGeuALU

Venture - https://youtu.be/k9HumReGLjI

Bit of a mixed bunch these turned out to be with - No Escape being my pick of the bunch followed closely by Bump 'n' Jump and Venture,Dragster by Activision (Who developed some of the 2600's very best titles) was slightly disappointing as was Miner 2049er and Street racer.

Jakey V
Master Rewinder
Member # 37348

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jakey V   Email Jakey V   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Recently found out there was a Pitfall cartoon in '83. It had charecters that later appeared in the game Pitfall II.
Posts: 204 | From: Columbus, OH | Registered: A Long Time Ago! | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thenodfather
Master Rewinder
Member # 8732

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for thenodfather   Email thenodfather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Atari 2600 - "UNDER 50 BUCKS?!"
Posts: 239 | From: Ireland | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jakey V
Master Rewinder
Member # 37348

Member Rated:
I liked the two player games. I could beat anyone. One time my neighbor beat me in Air-Sea Battle and he reminded me of it on Myspace about 15 years ago. The sports games were a lot of fun.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home