iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Culture » The Garbage Pail Kids....Remember?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Garbage Pail Kids....Remember?
Billie Jean
Rewinder
Member # 9525

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Billie Jean   Email Billie Jean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone remember...The Garbage Pail kids?

This weekend I bought Garbage Pail Kids trading cards for my son. I remember collecting these trading cards/stickers by Topps. They were fun to collect. I tried to get all of them to make the puzzle in the back. He seems to like them too. I got him into 80's stuff... yeah. The new Garbage Pail Kids are great some cards have the "Flashback" from the 80's picture and in the back of the card it has "Where are they now?" showing the same Garbage Pail Kid all Grown up. Its a cool new series. The package also came with a poster.
http://http://garbage_pail_kids.tripod.com/images/USPosterArt4.jpg

Posts: 42 | From: Stockton, California | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

I still have all of mine.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have a garbage pail kids coffee mug on my desk i keep pencils in.

wish i kept the cards i had.

Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a bunch of these way back in grade school and we would trade them in school and make fun of eachother with the names....going to a catholic school for 4 years though with the nuns....let's just say, they didn't share our sense of humor with these cards.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Memories... like the corners of my mind"

I'm jealous.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved these as a kid too...thanks for the pics Pyro. Now...the old me would instantly go on line and try to buy these on ebay....must resist....no room....no money....arrrghhhhh!

Nice memories...back when collecting cards and trading them with friends was a fun hobby...versus now, buying them in bulk and not opening them, hoping they'll raise in value so you can re-sell them, except, nope, you can't bring yourself to re-sell, so, they sit in your closet/attic/basement collecting dust......shame!

Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bamersy
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8808

14 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bamersy   Email Bamersy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Knew of them but didn't collect them. My fave was:

-

Posts: 452 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2010 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still have most of mine too! I loved those things.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wacky Packages were cool too.

-

Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pop trivia; the guy that invented Garbage Pail Kids was the guy who wrote the Pulitzer-Prize winning comic-book 'Maus' - Art Spiegelman.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool....I remember buying Wacky Packs as well....thanks for the pic 80's!
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't remember buying the wacky packs so much back then. But I know alot of them come standard now in the newer packs of Garbage Pail Kids they sell now. I've got some of them.
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still have all of mine too!!! They're perfectly preserved in a nice binder!!! Can you say OCD? Lol [Smile] !

I can still remember the gum that used to accompany the cards in those wack packs...the flavor would last about 5 seconds but what a great 5 seconds it was as you chewed it's powdery, sugary sweetness whilst flipping through your new cards!!!

Good times...

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
I still have all of mine too!!! They're perfectly preserved in a nice binder!!! Can you say OCD? Lol
Can you say... imminent theft?! THEY WILL BE MINE!

quote:
I can still remember the gum that used to accompany the cards in those wack packs...the flavor would last about 5 seconds but what a great 5 seconds it was as you chewed it's powdery, sugary sweetness whilst flipping through your new cards!!!
The disappointment when you realised you had them all. Damn, that five second sugary gum chew followed by the need to spit it out because it was harder than regular gum once it had been chewed a few times.
Ducktalesfan81
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 10446

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Ducktalesfan81   Email Ducktalesfan81       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh i did, i had all of them and had some merchandise too and even saw the movie in a theater.
Posts: 26 | Registered: Dec 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huge GPK fan - I still have some of them.

About 5-6 years ago, a book came out which featured the first five GPK sticker series - excellent, especially for someone like me - who never had all of these stickers...

Posts: 400 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
I got that book! It was bound in a greaseproof style cover that replicated the old gum wrappers, and had a set of sealed stickers in the back of the book.
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Logan 5:
I got that book! It was bound in a greaseproof style cover that replicated the old gum wrappers, and had a set of sealed stickers in the back of the book.

Yes, it's a great book - very nostalgic, and IMHO is better than having the GPK stickers themselves. I was never a big fan of the "sticker" format for these, and would have preferred if they had been cards - since they wore down much easier as stickers.

I wish they would have released a follow-up book with other series beyond the first five, but I guess we should be glad we got even one book...

Posts: 400 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Rate Member
For what it's worth, last year some fairly cool GPK action figures came out by FUNKO. I will admit to getting some of these, despite being too old to play with toys - LOL. Here's a link:

http://www.thetoychronicle.com/news/garbage-pail-kids-mystery-minis-by-funko/

Be warned regarding these - they are packed in "blind boxes", so you won't know which one you're getting prior to opening these. This is the only thing I don't like about these, and is the main reason I couldn't complete a set; I didn't want to buy too many because I was afraid of getting doubles - and, I did get one double...

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
For what it's worth, last year some fairly cool GPK action figures came out by FUNKO. I will admit to getting some of these, despite being too old to play with toys
I just call it 'memorabilia' and pretend it's a grown up thing to own [Wink]
thenodfather
Master Rewinder
Member # 8732

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for thenodfather   Email thenodfather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Garbage Pail Kids Movie:

https://youtu.be/zH6Npp03R-w

Posts: 239 | From: Ireland | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home