iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Culture » Favorite video arcade games? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Favorite video arcade games?
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This thread is excellent!

The fantasy flick thread reminded me of this pinball:

-

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
The Dread Pirate Rewind....
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bernie_Lomax:
Remember the lock in session days. You pay like 10 bucks each and get to stay in an arcade all night, and play as much as you want. Bring that back please.

WHAT - i never had this!!!!
Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I done it a couple of times. I can't actually remember the exact price but it couldn't have been much more than 10 bucks cos I wouldn't have scraped up much more than that at the time. It used to happen alot in the early 90's around the time Street Fighter 2 came out. That was when I was bout 10 or 11.

You would pay your money and eventually they would lock the doors and they would have all the machines set to free play.

They didn't do pass outs. So if you wanted to go outside or whatever, you couldn't get back in, and they always made sure that if you wanted to leave in the wee hours that you were picked up by your parents.

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ahhhhhhhhhhhhh Bernie!!!! Iv missed out on this big time and im so jealous now. I was 17-18 in 1991 and was heavily into street fighter and 720 degrees...why oh why God do you forsake me ....ahhhhhhhhhhhhh! I would have been doing that every night.
I was able to get free credits on some of the machines back in the mid 80s using fishing cord with a hook on the end but it didnt work on all machines. I got caught doing it once at a carnival back home where i grew up in Coogee beach in Sydney and they said if you come back we will call the police...i went back still but the same guy who caught me was never sure it was me coz i wore a cap and sunglasses...LOL...plus there were no mobile phones so it wasnt like he could dial 000straight away. about $10-20 spent every weekend on Shinobe, double dragon, wonderboy and ghost n goblins which for some reason i was terrible at and could never play that one very well. I clocked shinobe a few times which would take about an hour...my hands were killing me at the end of it and sometimes my best friend damien had to take over on some of the stages...just the best 7-8 yr memories of my life and i look back at them with great fondness...now my life is about work and mortgages hmmmm get me a time machine please.

Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So inconspicuous you must have been with the cap and shades.

Fishing cord with a hook. That's classic.
I used to make fake 2 dollar coins out of solder and a steel mould but for some reason I was to chicken to use them on anything were people might have been around to bust me so I used to just use them on vending machines. Most of them worked but there were always a few duds. I almost got busted too, and haven't made any since then.

Are you talking about the original street fighter or number 2? I haven't played 720 degrees much but I have played it before.

Did you ever clock any games on one credit? I never have but the closest I got was on 1942. I made it to the end of the 2nd to last stage battling it out with the final boss plane and yeah, I died. I was in a zone that day but still am gonna get that son of a b..itch game clocked some day.

Lots of money got poured into wonderboy aswell, and ghosts n goblins, hey nobody is good at that game. It's impossible to last very long. Double Dragon will always remain a classic but impossible to get very far either. They made it so you had to hit the enemies a ridiculous amount of times before they died.

I know about the arms killing. It is agonising hey. Shinobi was great on the arcades, and it is good that the master system brought it out later also.

You said you were in the army and grew up in Coogee. I was in the army for a few years alos and we went to the Randwick Army Barracks for a week to do drill prectice (yay), for a big parade down that way. I remember getting severely maggot at The Coogee Bay Hotel and all over the rest of Sydney, the night before 6 hours of drill practice (practicing the parade four times). I was in the first rank and my mate was in the rank almost directly behind me. He passed out after about 10 minutes into the first practice session. I am proud to say that I never went down in any parade. I dunno how I didn't that day. If I knew what I know now about the army I would have spent my time more wisely and played video games.

I am currently playing Call of Duty Black Ops on PS3.

Hey dude, if you happen to find a time machine I will go ya halves to help defray the cost.

[ 12. March 2011, 03:08: Message edited by: Bernie_Lomax ]

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
ahh Bernie, awsome to have a fellow serviceman and aussie on here. Even better youve been to where i grew up mate. Coogee bay road which you would know was where most of the video games were which i played. I worked in the newsagent there delivering newspapers every sat and sunday morning at 5am with my other 5 friends. We earned so much money from tips. For a 11-17yr old i was absolutely loaded with cash all the time and i did all the work before anyone got out of bed every weekend. All that money would get spent on video games, maccas, skateboard and surf wear, paddlepops, snakes, burgers, milkshakes and packets of twisties.

I clocked Shinobe on 1 credit after about 1 yrs worth of practise though. I clocked double dragon too but on two credits. I liked 1942 as well but i was absolutely useless at it to be honest, you did well to get as far as you did. I havnt played much of call of duty. I put all my energy into ghost recon, Black (which is just the most awsome game ever made)(on PS2)and as i said before, i was addicted to playing swat 4 online against others...it got too much really, people started agueing online and then people obviously cheating the system and saying they were not which was total bs.

God i remember drill practise in basic training...im pretty coordinated so never had a problem with it but standing to attention for over and hour once in 35 degree heat was just awful. I had sun cream on my forehead and it ran into my eyes but i couldnt move my arms to wipe it out. We then got the signal to march off and i was telling everyone around me to guide me off the square...i marched for about 2 minutes going left and right totally blind.

The street fighter i played the most was the original but i did play both a lot...then the prices just went sky rocketing and then BAM! Super nes came out and that was the beginning of the end of arcade places where i was and could only find the odd game or so which peoople were no longer interested in playing...next thing you know we enter into the mid 90s and then BAM again, nintendo 64 graces us with Golden Eye and that was the beginning of some decent first person competitve shoot em up type games

The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wwf superstars was one of my favorite arcade games.

there was another that had the avengers from marvel comics and you fight venom in the first level but he was a giant.

Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
spleus
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 9533

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for spleus   Author's Homepage   Email spleus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i still prefer dude.
Posts: 16 | From: london | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Billie Jean
Rewinder
Member # 9525

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Billie Jean   Email Billie Jean   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My all time fave game is PAC-MAN.
Posts: 42 | From: Stockton, California | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't possibly pick an all time favorite....way too many awesome games to choose from.
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
I stand by 1942 as a favourite.
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have that on a xbox compliation. i stayed up all night playing that and exed exes.
Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
Because Exedexes is made by Capcom as well it appears in the default high scores for 1942. I still haven't clocked it on one credit yet. I have got to the end of the 2nd to last stage and died. I was peaking. Especially since the last stage is a bonus stage and quite easy.
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
i have gunsmoke for the nes, and for the xbox, the xbox is really difficult in comparison. all the games on the xbox are for some reason.
leach
Rewind Curious
Member # 9695

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for leach   Author's Homepage   Email leach   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
still have a NES that i use sometime :-)
ma favorites
Super Mario Bros
Toki
Final Fight
Double Dragon

Posts: 3 | From: Belgium | Registered: May 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
I love the entire Final Fight series.
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
what do you like better streets of rage or double dragon?
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
I would go with Streets of Rage myself. As much of a classic Double Dragon is I never really liked it that much. I actually preferred the NES version of Double Dragon to the arcade too. I still have a video tape of my 11th birthday and I am playing DD in the video. Almost 19 years ago to the day.
amaranth
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8882

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for amaranth   Email amaranth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pac-man, and cant remember the name but a guy that shot crosses to zombies in a graveyard?
Posts: 456 | From: Scotland uk | Registered: May 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The original Out Run arcade, still one of the funniest.

-
 -  -

Posts: 7056 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
I used to love that game. I never seemed to get my dollars worth though. I used to have that on my IBM back in the mid 90's too.
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
i never played the game much, but i was really enthralled with galga at a local pizza shop whenever i got to go there. I dont know exactly what was about it, i guess cause i didnt get out much, the artwork down the side of the game was one of the neatest things i seen and i really liked that pizza shop too.
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
how about rad racer?
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
i had alot of fun playing karnov and rygar, never got far on them, but had alot of fun.
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Bernie_Lomax:
Does anyone remember a hockey game during the arcade era. It was kind of like a fussball table but there was a dome over the top. The two teams were USA and Russia. The little puck sprung up in the middle and the score was lit up over the top of the plastic dome. This was an awesome game. You cold really get the puck flying if you spun the handle/player hard enough. I probably spent more money on that thing than anything else.

It's called a bubble hocky machine apparently:

-

I have seen the Karate Kid a number of times over the years but it was only the other day that I noticed that they were playing the exact same game that I used to love playing as a kid - The USA vs Russia hockey game. If I could get my hands on one I would definitely buy it. It is such a good game.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home