iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Culture » Tales from the Crypt - HBO Series (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Tales from the Crypt - HBO Series
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tales from the Crypt 

-

Tales from the Crypt, is a horror series that ran from 1989 to 1996 on  HBO. The title was based on the 1950s EC Comics series of the same name and most of the content originated from EC Comics of the time. 

I used to watch it all the time and thought it was quite creative and entertaining.

I want to focus in on a particular favorite episode from season 5 called "House of Horror".  This episode starred Kevin Dillon, Wil Wheaton, Keith Coogan, Courtney Gaines, and Meredith Salenger.  wow!! 

Three pledges for a fraternity on probation run by a soft-spoken leader and his two sidekicks are visited by a beautiful young sorority gal, who is looking for a frat house to mingle with her sorority sisters. She ends up tagging along with the pledges to an abandoned house where an "urban legend" murder took place years before. Led by the obnoxious head pledge master, the three pledges must enter the house and past each test given to them. The question is will they survive to join the frat?

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"House of Horror" was one of my favorite eps! I loved Tales From the Crypt, up until the last season. It just didn't do anything for me.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really liked this show. It started going downhill in the middle of season 4 for me though. For the most part it was still tolerable though. I always got more of a laugh out of this show than anything. There were some really funny episodes. One in particular that stands out for me is an episode called "For Cryin' Out Loud" (Season 2).
It starred Lee Arenberg as a scamming rock n' roll concert promoter who couldn't escape the loud obnoxious voice in his head, (as voice-overed by the late great Sam Kinison). Arenberg's comedic performance in this particular episode has got to be one of the funniest in the whole series. His facial expressions alone throughout the episode is enough to make you bust a gut laughing out loud.

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh is that the one where he shoved the big ol Q-tip or whatever in his ear? That one made me squeamish lol. My favorites were always the Ventriloquist's Dummy, w/Bobcat Goldwaith and Death of Some Salesman. That one was so funny!
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want to watch 'House of Horror' now!
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pettyfan:
Ooh is that the one where he shoved the big ol Q-tip or whatever in his ear? That one made me squeamish lol. My favorites were always the Ventriloquist's Dummy, w/Bobcat Goldwaith and Death of Some Salesman. That one was so funny!

Yup, that's the one I'm talkin' about. I love that episode. But there are also alot of others I like too. Death of some Salesman was also great. Tim Curry playing 3 different roles in that one. Each character funnier than the next.
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amaranth
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8882

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for amaranth   Email amaranth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i Loved tales from the crypt so many episodes i remember. the one with the puppet the one with the lawyer the tim curry episode. Anyone remeber the cartoons
Posts: 456 | From: Scotland uk | Registered: May 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vaguely. The Cryptkeeper also briefly hosted a Saturday morning game show on CBS towards the end of the 90s.
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Used to watch this religiously. Went out on a sour note after season 3 for me though.
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rainbowbrite22
Given the choice, Duckie would have been Luckie...
Member # 2288

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Rainbowbrite22   Author's Homepage   Email Rainbowbrite22   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i love tales from the crypt just the boxset season one and two for twenty at target woo hoo
Posts: 1270 | From: GA the peachie state :) | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bamersy
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8808

14 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bamersy   Email Bamersy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Recently watched the Tales from the Crypt movie "Ritual" with Craig Sheffer and Jennifer Grey-was pretty good. Tim Curry was in it too. The Keeper was wearing dreadlocks for his intro-the subtitles had his voice down as a 'woman screaming'.
Posts: 452 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2010 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JCU
Master Rewinder
Member # 2851

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for JCU   Email JCU   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I think of HBO in all its glory, this is the era which comes to mind. This channel had excellent programming in the 1980's as well as early 1990's. Whether it was 1st & 10, NNTN or Tales From The Crypt, they were spot on. Hell, even Lethal Weapon 2 gave a plug to TFTC early in the movie.
Posts: 115 | From: Northeastern PA | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite episode was the one with Patricia Arquette.
Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
Another good episode and also one of my favs is "What's Cookin'. It stars Chistopher Reeve, Bess Arnstrong, Judd Nelson, and Meatloaf. Judd delivers one of the best quotes in this episode.

"It's a dog eat dog world, and we're all just different flavors of Alpo."

[ 24. August 2010, 15:30: Message edited by: Pyromantic ]

aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just bought the Season 1 dvd set.
Only 6 episodes in this package but i hope these are good ones.

I don´t think that they aired this show here
but there was a VHS tape released in 1989 which included three episodes.

-

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i really like this show

one of my favorites is the one with william sadler working the electric chair in prison.

Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
Youtube just got a few more cool points from me. You can find a bunch of episodes uploaded by different users on there now, including one of my aforementioned personal favorites..

Tales from the Crypt: For Cryin' Out Loud (part 1)

Tales from the Crypt: For Cryin' Out Loud (part 2)

Tales from the Crypt: For Cryin' Out Loud (part 3)

[ 20. October 2011, 07:09: Message edited by: Pyro ]

The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
jcu

i agree, hbo was rockin and rolling then.

Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh absolutely. Everything about the network clicked in the 80s, including the intershow bumpers, which were professionally made and scored and hold up well today. For a child as I was then, HBO was also the place to be, not just for Fraggle Rock episodes but for the best animated specials, both holiday and otherwise, some of which you couldn't find elsewhere. Oh those golden olden days...
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
you remember the animated phantom of the opera, that aired on there mid to late 80's?
Chris the CandyFanMan
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
To be honest no, but I do recall rare glimpses of occasional foreign animated gems in their English dubs such as The Elm-Chanted Forest.
pettyfan
Member # 2260

quote:
Originally posted by aTomiK:
Just bought the Season 1 dvd set.
Only 6 episodes in this package but i hope these are good ones.

I don´t think that they aired this show here
but there was a VHS tape released in 1989 which included three episodes.

-

Season 1 eps were pretty good. Like I said before, I just didn't like the last season.
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Season 5 had a few good episodes staring my girl Meredith Salenger, Wil Wheaton and Kevin Dillon.

Might have to own this..

Great show!

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
I've since bought the rest of the seasons on DVD..(5-7).
Seasons 2-4 are still my favorites though.

Helen_S
Hiding behind the shower curtain.....
Member # 5804

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Helen_S   Email Helen_S   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay Pyro, welcome back!
Posts: 4056 | From: uk | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home