iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Culture » 80s most genius invention-What was it?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 80s most genius invention-What was it?
bandit
Ace Rewinder
Member # 6296

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for bandit   Author's Homepage   Email bandit   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember how this new gadget in the early 80`s was at the top of everyones "must have" list.I spent months working all summer 82 delivering newspapers,working in gardens etc,nothing would get me of track.Friends went to see movies,going to the mall etc.i didn't waste my money on that,i had just one goal that summer.I also painted a very large house two times over,before i finally had the $ to go to the shop and get me the most genius gadget invention of all times..

Back then it cost me about 200$.And it was worth every single penny.What was it? ;-)

Best regards.

Posts: 362 | From: Third rock from the sun | Registered: Nov 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A walkman?
Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A boom box (also known as a "ghetto blaster")?

A Sony Walkman (the iPod of the 80's)?

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bandit
Ace Rewinder
Member # 6296

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for bandit   Author's Homepage   Email bandit   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just received a new ipod.man,its pretty neat.got it for around 200$.That got me thinking.Yes it is a cool gadget,but not as cool as the Walkman back in 82;-)I guess this was an easy one for you.well done.

regards.

Posts: 362 | From: Third rock from the sun | Registered: Nov 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Iconic 80s inventions:

Rubiks Cube
Sony Walkman
Sinclair ZX81
Sinclair C5

All very style-driven, all quintessentially 80s, and all still recognised today as iconic.

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am dying to know what this is? I am going to guess some kind of Nintendo game system or something like that?????
Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bandit
Ace Rewinder
Member # 6296

Member Rated:
I was thinking about the sony walkman Jessie the Sunflower:-)I still have it around somewhere.

BTW,i also remember renting videos back then.We didn`t have a vcr at the time,but they also rented out the moviebox along with the videos.A small portable vcr machine in a black plastic casing.Those were also pretty cool gadgets at the time.Anyone remember those?

Imagine renting a dvd today,along with a dvd machine;-)

[ 13. February 2008, 01:10: Message edited by: bandit ]

Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I totally remember those VCR's. I worked in a video store from '92 to '94 and they still had them at that time. I am sure that they don't even rent out DVD players anymore because they have become so cheap to buy. I remember buying one for my nephew's a couple of Christmas' ago for like $30/each. They still work to this day. I wonder what the next video type invention will be? They will probablly come on cartridges like game boys stuff. I can't wait to see how much those things cost.

I am still dying to know what this thing was that cost $200????? I think that a walkman or a boom box has got to be what it is....

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it was early 80's (as Bandit just said), then I don't think it was a VCR. In 1981, my parents had purchased a Sony VCR for $1,000!

I bought my first VCR (a Hitachi) in 1983 for $388.

A few years later, the prices for VCR really started to come down. Part of that reason was the popularity of the VHS and Beta format, but also the introduction of laserdisc players helped lower the cost of VCR's.

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nomster V2.0
Rewind Nomster

Member # 2688

4 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Nomster V2.0   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He already said it was a walkman. Pay attention guys! [Wink]

Noms [Cool]

Posts: 2517 | From: Living in oblivion. Third floor up. Nice views from the window.... | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 4  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
Keep your nastiness in NOMS. I guess I didn't read it closely before...
bandit
Ace Rewinder
Member # 6296

Member Rated:
Yes StevenHW.I also remember those prices on the VCR machines.It was crazy here for some years.My brother was getting a betamax just before vhs won the format war.Had to toss it away very early.He was quite upset about that for a long time.History repeats itself though.It seems like blueray wins this one..But just in case,I`m waiting this one out a bit longer..

Don`t worry Jessie ;-)I`ve also missed a few posts in here.

regards.

HeadRusch
Master Rewinder
Member # 3755

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for HeadRusch   Email HeadRusch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BD has won, but dont ignore HDDVD players on the cheap and the cheap selection of HDDVD titles, there are still hundreds of movies out on HDDVD and they all look exactly the same as BD.

There just wont be many more of em after this year, is all.

Walkman....here's a question for you guys: How many did you have? I mean over a lifetime. I had 3 different ones..2 were actual Sony's and one was a panasonic. After awhile the tape players would die and you'd have to get a new one.

I even tracked down the ones I owned once upon a time...

-
I had the one on the right, I know cuz I just tossed it a few years ago when it refused to do much of anything. The WM8.

Posts: 125 | Registered: Jan 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bandit
Ace Rewinder
Member # 6296

Member Rated:
I had severals Walkmans during the 80s.The first yellow sony sportsman i still have around some place.I also did get a few cheap ones along the way.The latest one,was by far the most advanced.It was a sanyo top model.It had everything fm/am,recording and an advanced equalizer.The headphones was also very good,and it just sounded great.Can`t recall the version name or year.Late 80s.Ended selling that one to buy a cb station.Could never part with the first Sony though..Found this link today,maybe some of you find your old favorite walkman here.Have a look.

http://www.pocketcalculatorshow.com/walkman/museum.html

[ 15. February 2008, 01:33: Message edited by: bandit ]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home