iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Culture » Vans! (not the shoes and not mini)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Vans! (not the shoes and not mini)
vanbilderass
Rewind Curious
Member # 5469

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for vanbilderass   Email vanbilderass   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What was up with teens in 80's movies and Vans? One of the main characters would always drive a van that gets 7 miles to the gallon and he'd be really happy about it. It was weird... I don't know if I am hoping people respond to this with lists of movies featuring teens with Bitchin' vans or some kind of explanation. How about Both?

Why were vans so popular witht the young folk? was everyone in a garage band that had to transport equipment? And why were they always painted up to look like a Frank Frazetta painting? I'm fascinated clearly.

I can think of a few movies with kids w/ vans:

Teen Wolf
Secret Admirer - Badass paintjob

...now I'm drawing a blank. I feel stupid but just because I've talked about them so much and now I've forgotten half the movies I was gonna mention... What movie can you think of? please tell me someone else has noticed this.

Posts: 3 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jan 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's because they could carry large groups of friends, and they could also put mattresses in for making out. Fairly simple really.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fast Times at Ridgemont High with Sean Penn's van is the first that comes to mind with me. Also tv related would be the A-Team van...
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vanbilderass
Rewind Curious
Member # 5469

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for vanbilderass   Email vanbilderass   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope there wasn't any making out going on in the A-Team van. Thats probably the subject of about a hundred fan-fictions online, anyone wanna bet on it? gAy-Team Fanfic?

Anyways, yea, I just love the van's where people painted elacborate logos/murals on them, that was great. I miss the 80's. Theres this guy in my area who drives a van with an elaborate Star Wars scene on it. Looks like a combo of the original poster art for Star Wars and Return of the Jedi. I always see it in the parking lot in front of the local Flea Market. He probably sells SW memorabilia. I should go buy all his ewoks.

Posts: 3 | From: Virginia | Registered: Jan 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimpickens
Senior Rewinder
Member # 5801

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jimpickens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guys had vans in the 80s the same reason they did in the 70s you can hide a case of beer more easier in a van,you can haul all your friends and party favors to the party in one trip, easy to sneek your buds into the drive-in, and this was really true in the early and mid 80s vans especialy custom ones were real pussywagons if you had a van and knew at least two chicks with loose morals you were getting laid.

[ 02. July 2007, 00:52: Message edited by: jimpickens ]

Posts: 64 | From: weston,wv | Registered: May 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home