iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Culture » Bob Barker to retire

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bob Barker to retire
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since he is an 80s icon as well, it makes sense to bring it up here, but at any rate the announcement just came through that he will call it a career after the current season of The Price Is Right wraps in June after 50 years on TV and 35 on TPIR. It remains unknown whether the show will continue after that point, but its current bosses have been looking for possible replacements for some time now, they've said.

For me it's bittersweet; while I knew the day would come eventually that he'd hang it up, it still comes as a surprise, with the knowledge that another of my childhood idols will be around no more. He just has the right personality that makes you like him even in the face of sex charges (which I personally never believed anyway; not one piece of convincing evidence was ever presented by any accusers) that would cripple another person. More than any other game show host, he shows the warmth and hopefulness that a contestant can do well. So I think it only appropriate to say thank you for the memories, Mr. Barker, and that we'll all do our part to help control the pet population and have our pets spayed and neutered.

Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joker
Master Rewinder
Member # 3840

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for joker   Email joker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
how could anybody bob barker he is the reson i do not like the prices right
Posts: 307 | Registered: Feb 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think it'd be the same without him. I don't think it's been the same without Rod Roddy, either.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I havent watched THE PRICE IS RIGHT in about 12 years (Right about the time I got cable!) but I used to love it as a kid! I guess around the time they brought in the younger crop of Beauties is when I bailed. But I have always liked Bob Barker. he was hilarious in HAPPY GILMORE and that FUTURAMA episode he was in.
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I attended a taping about 2 years ago, there was one brief moment when, during commercial break, he made a joke about something someone else in the audience had told him, and I flashed him a thumbs-up. For about 5 seconds, he glanced straight at me and smiled. It remains one of the most fulfilling moments of my life and counterbalances the fact I wasn't called down and now probably never will (although mentally I had a great game that day, being able to predict one item up for bid exactly right and helping one luckier contestant find a hole in Punch-a-Bunch with $10,000).
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GoldTransAM
Master Rewinder
Member # 2973

13 Updates!

- posted      Profile for GoldTransAM         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't believe it lasted that many years! I remember watching it as a kid when I was absent from school.
Posts: 191 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jul 2004 | Site Updates: 13  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
Whoever does take over will also have one less game to master now, since they just announced as well that Hit Me is being retired after 26 years (no overt reason has been given--and indeed rarely is publicly given when a pricing game goes out to pasture--although a rather low win rate lately combined with the fact it does have somewhat challenging rules may have sealed its fate), although this is offset by the recent introduction of "Stack the Deck," which has good potential (not to mention the best price reveal in years wherein the board's sign flips over when the button's pushed).

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home