iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Culture » Mr. Peanut and other stuff

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mr. Peanut and other stuff
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use to love the Mr. Peanut commercials, I think there is a current one where he sings "
S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y Night....by the Bay City Rollers, there use to be all kinds of Mr. Peanut collectables. I remember my grandma love Mr. Peanut peanuts, and we always made hot fudge sundaes and stuck a ton of peanuts on them.
I am more of a cashew person, and I liked mixed nuts too. I always have nostalgic memories of food, I don't know if that just comes from remembering things as a kid, and remembering the whole time period as a kid, cause I always think about how different food tastes from now to when I was a kid, and how things just don't seem to taste good any more. Does anyone else ever think that way too???

I was so excited that I found a hot air popcorn popper at a flea market for $2 last week, it was brand new, I almost caught mine on fire a few weeks ago, so I was so happy because I hate microwaveable popcorn, and love hot air popcorn-but it's got to be Orville Redenebacher popcorn, and loaded with melted butter (which has to be Parkay)...

Does anyone else have to have a certain name brand product??

I always think of the scene in "It Could Happen to You"...where Bridgette Fonda says no matter how broke she was ,she had to have Miracle Whip...like you just have to splurge on the name brand.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm that way about Heinz Ketchup and A-1 Steaksauce. Sure there are generic and other well-known brands to pick from, but nothing beats the true taste.........
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will only eat Kraft peanut butter.
Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like Skippy Peanut butter-for creamy and Peter Pan-for Crunchy.

I have to have Heinz Ketchup too.

I am a Miracle Whip person where my husband is a Hellman's.

I honestly think advertising is at the worst it has ever been...I saw some commercial last night ...I think it was for Sprite...where a guy had a lemon over one eye and a lime over the other...and something really weird happened with his eye..and we aren't even sure what we were seeing...then this bizarre Burger King commercial came on (which I think they have the weirdest and creepiest commercials ever made-and the last thing I want is to eat there after seeing their commercial)..the commercial had someone holding a hamburger, and some creepy guy all chained up trying to get to it...it was weird.

I remember all commercials use to be catchy...they didn't even have to use all this strange stuff to get your attention.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember a commercial a few years back where a man opened his insurance bill, his dog looked over at it, and the dog fell over laughing. I used to laugh my azz off at that commercial everytime I saw it and still would to this day were it on. I also like the identity theft ones where a guy's voice will be matched up with a woman and vice versa. I think it's Mastercard or Visa? The AFLAC duck is pretty funny but he wears thin after awhile........
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Spooka Lupa   Author's Homepage   Email Spooka Lupa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL! I remember that dog one. That was funny.

I never got the whole "I have to have name brand, I can't have diet 'cause it tastes funny, yada yada yada" thing. They all taste the same to me. Except for diet Barqs, which is the only thing that ever tasted weird to me. Most of the time, though, it's all good.

Cheetos Puffs. Any other cheese puff is just weird.

Posts: 1830 | From: Land Under the Bed | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always liked the 7-Up Spots, they were entertaining to watch (and I had their video game at one point too). If 7-Up still has any life left, they may want ot consider bringing the little red guys back.
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Diet pop is worse for you than regular pop, that is a health fact, I think it taste horrible, so I figure if your going to drink something bad for you, drink the good bad stuff.

I miss the Dr. Pepper commercials, the Reese's peanutbutter cup commercials, Parkay, Charmin, Bounty-The quicker picker upper,Calgon-take me away, The Nestea plunge, The Big Red Commercials where everyone was kissing a little bit longer, all the shampoo commercials that had celebrities in them like Kim Basinger and Farrah Fawcett,
the toothpaste commercials, the Old Spice guy, the Charlie perfume commercials, The McDonalds commercials when they had the Hamburgler and Grimach and they gave out cool stuff in a Happy Meal, I miss the Kit Kat commercials with the Lion, all the dog food commercials like Chuck Wagon, all the cereal commercials were cool, like Captain Crunch and the Trix commercials,
there use to be cool commercials for toys- cause toys were way cool back when...like the Slinky commercials-I miss the Coca-Cola commercials...I really miss the Pepsi commercials...during the time period when Michael Jackson had not become a freak yet-they had the coolest commercials ever.
I loved the Kool-Aid commercials where the Kool-Aid guy came crashing through the walls.
Everything just seem cheerful, and colorful, and happy, and you got a good feeling from the product, because I think name brands associate with memories of when you used them...like I won't use any popcorn other than Orville Redenbacher.

I remember my grandparents always had Ruffles Sour Cream and Onion potato chips, they would have Brach's Bridge Mix, and peanut M & M's, in their snack drawer. My Aunt always ate Oreos every night for a snack.

Campbell's soup had cool commercials. People collected stuff to do with them too.

My mom loves 5th Avenue Candy bars.
I love Mallow Cups and Skor bars and Heath bars.

I hate that they make everything fat free any more, and you can't find yogurt that doesn't say lite or fat free on it.
Same thing with salad dressing-I don't want fat free salad dressing for any reason.

I hate that they have changed the taste of everything, Big Red gum doesn't taste the same...all gum to me tastes like medicine any more...or it has asparatame in it-which is poison. If I want to chew gum...I want sugar in it.

pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isis, are you talking about the Burger King commercials where the guys are walking around with the hamburgers singing? Cause if you are those are some of the STUPIDEST commercials I've ever seen!!! And those Friday's or Applebee's, I forget which, where everyone is yelling, "Sausage...steak...meat!!" Dumb!!

I only eat Jif peanut butter and Kraft Honey Dijon salad dressing. I only eat Hellman's mayo, and like Motley, only A1 steak sauce. Not the original, but the smoky mesquite or whatever it's called.

Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are plenty of places that have good "bad" food still left.

Perfect example: Subway touts their healthy choices, but they can also let you create your own sandwiches. Trust me when I say that you haven't experienced a sub until you've had a meatball marinara sub on 12-inch Italian Herbs and Cheeses bread with garlic spread, topped with cheddar, mozzarella, salami, pepperoni and ranch and chipotle dressings.

It's a stone groove, my man...or woman, in this case.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Yep those are the Burger king commericals/ They are horrible.

I remember my brother use to love Stove Top stuffing and Banquet Fried Chicken-..the stuffing is ok, but the chicken is so gross.

Does anyone else get Tony's pizza, in the frozen food section? My mom use to make them every once and awhile when we were kids and they had pepperoni on them the size of a dime.

Spooka Lupa
Little Rewind Monster
Member # 2700

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Spooka Lupa   Author's Homepage   Email Spooka Lupa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"STEAK!!"
"BEEF!!"
"SAUSAGE!!"
"Salad!...I mean, BEEF!!"

Posts: 1830 | From: Land Under the Bed | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Mouse Avenger
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4406

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Mouse Avenger   Author's Homepage   Email The Mouse Avenger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's it! I am going to build a time machine so we can all go back & enjoy our childhood all over again! And I'll do it...for you. [Smile]
Posts: 1057 | From: With my mouse pals on Baker Street | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Well ,get to crack-a-lacking on it, cause I would be the first person signing up to go.
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That Sprite commercial must have been directed by Stephen King. They lift the lime off the guys "eye" and there is a little mouth there! Totally nasty! I love Horror movies but that commercial is just rank! Hated it!

I like Skippy smooth peanut butter
Heinz ketchup
Hellmanns mayonaise
Dr Pepper and Coke and 7Up for soda
Kraft cheese
Mr Clean house cleaning liquids

Those are the brands I wont budge on.

Another commercial I hate is for ice coffee where the people are singing about their legs sticking to the pleather. Is that supposed to be funny?

I do like the ice coffee one where the guy comes home from work and the "Fabio" guy is holding up his wife.
Wife: Stop acting like a baby.
"Fabio": Yah. A bay-bee.

I dont know why, but I like that one thats a play on the Helen Reddy I Am Woman song. "I am a man! I am hungry!" I think its for Burger King.

And, yes, the OLD NAVY ones where everyone holds hands and dances around. If anyone ever asks me what my wish of wishes is it is to have my life be like an OLD NAVY commercial, with all my smiling friends and family running round my clean, spacious yard singing and dancing (In matching outfits!)

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is also an ad campaign for Mr Peanut (Is it his anniversary???) where they show him trying on different styles for the different years he's been around. I just saw that about a week ago. Will try to find a link to it .
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Yeah!! That's the Sprite commercial I am talking about...my mom said it looked like a tongue sticking out of a person's eye, and licking the lime juice...now what kind of sicko crap is that...It makes my skin crawl just thinking about it...that's enough to make you throw up...how could something like that possibly ever make you thristy and want a sprite...what the heck happen to "Lucky" The coca-cola dude, that all the women office workers were drooling over?? That works for me.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home