iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Culture » The Chuck Wagon commercials

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Chuck Wagon commercials
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was watching The Good, the Bad & The Ugly...and it totally sparked a memory for me of the Chuck Wagon commercials...that had the little mini chuckwagon with the little guy on it, and the horses, and it would ride through the kitchen past the dog laying on the floor, and then the dog would chase it. I totally forgot about those commercials...but it reminded me of it, and I remember that's the brand of dog food we fed our dogs, and I never see it in the stores any more. I wonder if they quit making it.
They made Gravy Train dog food too, and I remember feeding our dogs every night, and giving them that brand of dog food. I think it is funny that a western movie made me think of dog food.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also remember commercials for a dogfood called FIT & TRIM. The lady would complain to the grocer that her picky dog wouldn't eat the brand of dog food she served and the grocer would say "You need to get Fit & Trim" and the woman would get all offended thinking the grocer meant she was fat.

I also remember a dogfood commerical for a barand called Mainstay. "Dogs stay for Mainstay" and it showed a little boy trying to get his dog outside to play ("Come on and play Pepper!") but the dog wouldn't leave it's food bowl. (My friends and I joked that If a GIRL dog walked past the hosue maybe Pepper would move!)

The Chuckwagon ones were cute. ("Yah! Yah!")

"Kibbles And Bits, Kibbles And Bits, I'm Gonna Get Me Some Kibbles And Bits!"

(We fed our childhood dog Gainesburgers. We feed our dog now IAMS.)

I also remember catfood commericals like Nine Lives, with finicky orange cat Morris. (My father said my neighbor's cat looked like Morris and my daughter said "Who is Morris?" Isnt it weird those commercials ran for YEARS and now, not anymore.

And also the "chow chow chow" Purina Catfood commercials with the fat lady dancing with the cat.

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whatever those people behind those commercials made they totally earned it. Here we are ,remembering them 25 years later!
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember Mainstay- it had little vegetables in it.

My Uncle's dog was poisoned by lead contaimination in "Dad's"(the brand name) dog food. Her name was Dutchess...he loved that dog, I forget how they found out what did it, but it was pretty scary.

I remember the Fit & Trim commercials too and Gainesburgers. I totally remember all the cat commercials too, we had pets, so maybe I paid attention more than some people, but I really did like TV commercials from back then, they were really creative and I think that's when they really used cool camera tricks.

My mom and her friend have a dog grooming buisness, and they sing the commercial where the puppy is at camp...and he's singing...There ain't no bugs on me...there may be bugs on the rest of you mugs, but there ain't no bugs on me.

That is the only commercial out right now that I have seen that I think is cute.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
I sing that one too! That puppy is too cute.
Bionic Bigfoot
Rewind Legend
Member # 2490

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bionic Bigfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember Lorne Greene doing all those Alpo commercials. I've always liked him... from Bonanza to Battlestar Galactica, I thought he had an awesome screen presence. I had one of his albums too. I liked his version on Ghost Riders.

Also, do you remember the "high-pro glow?" What dog food was that? I remember seeing the movie The Last Dragon and watching the fight at the end when one guy was glowing red and the other was glowing blue. It reminided me of the High-Pro Glow.

Posts: 1708 | From: Dallas | Registered: Mar 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I remember Lorne Greene and Alpo...he had that James Earl Jones voice. I thought he was cool too.

One of the dog foods we would collect the proof of purchase off of them- for cool stuff, and we collected the Kool-Aid points and we collected Green stamps, which they never do any more. Nobody ever gives away good stuff any more for buying their products.

Bionic Bigfoot
Rewind Legend
Member # 2490

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bionic Bigfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would collect the ICEE points off the cups. I can still remember the prizes you could win... beach towels, stereos, a watch, a sweat shirt....
I remember selling GRIT papers to try to get some of the cool prizes. The GRIT kit came with newspaper shoulder bag, a prize catalog & some GRIT papers. I didn't get very many people to subscribe. Counting my mom, my aunt, my grandma and my next door neighbor... I only had about 6 subscribers. It was fun though.

Posts: 1708 | From: Dallas | Registered: Mar 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Funny Face drink mix was like Kool-Aid, and I remember saving the points to get all the goofy plastic mugs they had. I loved the watermelon guy-I think he looked like Elvis.

I remember when Cracker Jacks had cool prizes in them, and when cereal had the coolest stuff inside the boxes too...everything tasted better, and was made better.

When we go grocery shopping it is a nightmare picking out cereal for my son....they don't make anything good any more. I don't even like cereal any more. I bought Alpha-Bits not long ago-they are hard to find, but they tasted like cardboard-I remember I loved them as a kid. I remember my mom making me Cream of Wheat as a kid- and I can't believe I actually liked that stuff...I had a bowl that had Lassie in it, and I remember I had to eat it really fast...or if it cooled off ,it got big lumps in it, and then it was like eating the paste you made in art class.

mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
Was the Hi Pro Glow dogfood called Hi Pro? Or was it called something else? (ANTHRAX has a song called Hi Pro Glow by the way).
GoldTransAM
Master Rewinder
Member # 2973

13 Updates!

- posted      Profile for GoldTransAM         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The chuckwagon commercials started way back in the 70s. I always liked the one for Lucky Dog food with Ike the bulldog.
Posts: 191 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jul 2004 | Site Updates: 13  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home