iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Culture » The Surreal 80's Life

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Surreal 80's Life
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We don't get The Surreal Life here, but from what I've read it's a hoot.

If you could cast a season of the Surreal Life using only 80's celebrities (from big stars to flash-in-the-pans) who would you cast?

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd probably wanna make mine an 80's Music Theme:

1) Nikki Sixx
2) Flea (Chili Peppers started in the 80s)
3) Bret Michaels
4) Billy Ocean (why not)
5) Samantha Fox
6) Susanna Hoffs
7) Rob Halford (to make it interesting)

Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd watch anything with Susannah Hoffs. Grrr baby yeah!
Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Representing the guys:

-Harry Anderson ("Night Court")
-Rowdy Roddy Piper (Legendary wrestler)
-Kurtis Blow (Early 80s rappper)
-Michael "Boogaloo Shrimp" Chambers (The "Breakin'" movies)

Representing the women:

-Kathleen Wilhoite (Noted 80s actress...You knew I would include her)
-Sherri Stoner (80s exploitation actress/animation model...See above)
-Ginger Lynn Allen (Noted 80s adult star)

In-house therapist:

-Peggy Noonan (Former speech-writer for Ronald Reagan)

So, what do you think of my cast list?

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about:

Richard Moll--Bull from Night Court
Rhea Pearlman--Carla from Cheers
Jere Burns--Dear John
Justin Bateman--Mallory Keaton from Family Ties
Alan Thicke--Jason Seaver from Growning Pains
Katherine Hellmond--Mona from Who's the Boss
Tracy Nelson--Jennifer DeNuccio from Square Pegs

Okay now the kicker here is that they all have to stay in character! Wouldn't that be a riot!

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-Lisa Bonet--The Cosby Show
-Chris Holmes--Bass player from WASP(whoever saw the movie "Decline of Western Civilization Part 2: The Metal Years" will understand why he's included
-Debbie Gibson
-Loni Anderson
-Jessica Hahn
-Bobcat Goldthwait
-Kirk Cameron to make things really interesting since hes a very over the top religious zealot today

Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't stand watching those Surreal Life shows...they make the celebrities look like such losers...what is sad is that alot of the people who I liked when they were younger have really not held up well, physically or mentally...Corey Haim and Rick Springfield both are looking pretty darn scary these days.

I'd like to see people that nobody sees any more ever...I always wonder what they are doing now...like Betsy Russell- she hasn't made a movie in 10 years, so how do people like that support themselves? That's the sad part is they need money now, and the only kind of work they can get are shows like the Surreal Life, and so they are reduced to making a complete fool out of themselves. It probably is in their contract.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure most actors and actresses from the 80s who are no longer making movies or TV shows hold down 9-5 jobs just like everybody else.

If somebody is willing to go on a show like that and they know that more than likely they could be made to look foolish then they get what they deserve.

There's also this thing called editing. All we get to see is brief thirty to sixty minute snapshots of activities that took place over a few days. They can put something that somebody says that was totally irrelevant and innocent and put that somewhere else where it makes them look bad or to make people think there was some kind of conflict.

I think for the most parts the people who have been on The Surreal life enjoyed their experience. Maybe they might look foolish in parts but it also looks like they have fun for the most part and looks like they form many life long friendships with other people who were in the business that they might never have met before they appeared together on the show. It's even helped kickstart some peoples careers again.

Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nice Guy Sammy_Hain:
There's also this thing called editing.

I think she knows what editing is, Sam. Why do you give her so little credit?

Speaking for myself, I love "The Surreal Life" and I'm looking forward to season 7, as well as the upcoming spin-off "Fame Games". It's always great fun to see these celebrities of diverse talents in the same place together.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eightieschick
Rewind Guru
Member # 4385

- posted      Profile for eightieschick   Email eightieschick       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nice Guy Sammy_Hain:
-Lisa Bonet--The Cosby Show
-Chris Holmes--Bass player from WASP(whoever saw the movie "Decline of Western Civilization Part 2: The Metal Years" will understand why he's included
-Debbie Gibson
-Loni Anderson
-Jessica Hahn
-Bobcat Goldthwait
-Kirk Cameron to make things really interesting since hes a very over the top religious zealot today

Sam, I think if you add in Sam Kinison, you'd have a winning cast! (If he was still alive today- I wasn't sure if this Surreal Life is supposed to take place in the 80's or in the present time). Between Sam and Chris, they'd drive Kirk Cameron to drink!
Posts: 713 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

I was thinking of good ol' Sam when making my list

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home