iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Culture » Do you resent early 80's movies that look too 70's?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do you resent early 80's movies that look too 70's?
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the things about movies in the early 80's is that they still had lingering and prevailing trends leftover from the 70's. The tight jeans, shggy hair, sideburns, bellbottoms, even the fu manchu moustaches, the disco-ish music. Stuff I have watched recently like Midnight Madness, Hollywood High part 2, Meatballs, it all has that late 70's appeal that i kind of find repressive. Some people think the 80's was the decade that fashion forgot but I think it was the 70's. I just prefer movies around 1982 for some reason, when the clothes and style of the era started to emerge and shake off the 70's for good. Like the bright colors, the new wave music, it's just so much easier to absorb than some cringe inducing fasions from the 70's.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See, I really liked the 70's alot, so...that lingering look was ok...except when the guy I dated in 1986 was still lingering in the 70's...he was like Eric Roberts in Star 80. He wore those cowboy shirts with the embrodering on the pockets, and boot cut jeans, and big belt buckles, and tube socks with shorts. I had to give him a major wardrobe make over. We didn't have much in common...that was fer shur.

My Bodyguard has that feel to it to me too.

I remember 1980. when having a comb in the back pocket of your designer jeans to feather your hair was what you had to do to be cool. I had a yellow comb, and a white and blue swirled one. The feathered hair was still a part of the whole Farrah Fawcett look.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember 1980 as well. I was in kindergarten... [Wink]
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 80s (as we know and love them) didn't really start until 1984, there were a lot of great films made from 80-83 but they weren't 80's movies (the kind we go on about at 'The Rewind') A-Ha's 'Take On Me', Wham! and Queen's 'It's A Kind Of Magic' bought the concept of the music video to life whislt John Hughes and others worked to capture the look and feel of the times that were unfolding around them.

Some early 90s movies had an 80's vibe to them as well (e.g. 'Pump Up The Volume' or 'Career Opportunities')

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HA this goes back to what I have always said! Decades should be from 2 to 2. Buy this I mean a decade in the true sense of the word should be from '82 to '92! This really defined the decade for me. I remember after I watched a Few Good Men in December of 1992 that I really felt that the 90's had begun.

I cannot specifically think of any movies at the moment that stick out as 70s done in 80s but I will think on it.

Rip----Were there any movies that you were specifically thinking of??

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jess, I mentioned some of the movies in the topic starter, just when you see people with the shaggy hair, sideburns, moustaches, open chest hair in movies from 80-81. And girls with the long hair parted in the middle with tight dark jeans. I guess it was the regular folk who listened to mainsttram rock and not new wave yet.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eightieschick
Rewind Guru
Member # 4385

- posted      Profile for eightieschick   Email eightieschick       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A good example, which was on AMC today, although I only watched it for the first 10 minutes (too much cheese in one day is not good for me)- Sharky's Machine. The clothes were polyester bell-bottoms and those ugly leather boots the men wore with them. Burnt Reynolds toupe musta been glued on well with some super glue, cuz it didn't flap in the wind. The music was leftover 70's style typical movie music too. This movie was from 1981.
Posts: 713 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, but I'm not necessarily one to dwell on the visual aspects of a movie. Nostalgia for the previous decade can happen within a few years of the following decade, or nostalgia for a decade within the same decade can happen as well (We all remember the Cafe 80s from 1989's "Back To The Future: Part 2").

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Early '80's movies are, by definition, going to have a lot of aspects associated with the late '70's. The technology/fashion/hairstyles in the early '80's wasn't that much different than what was seen in the late '70's.

As I've mentioned in my posts in the '80's movie thread on both "Sharkey's Machine" (1981) and "The Star Chamber" (1983), both of these great films reminded me quite a bit of '70's movies - even though they were released in the early '80's. As another poster mentioned, "Sharky's Machine" was a carry-over from the '70's, including the fashion, jazzy score, etc.

Posts: 400 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that the "real 80s" look-and-feel and not just a holdover from the 70s decade came around 1983-84. Of all the movies that typify the era, "Flashdance" is the benchmark. For TV, it's "Miami Vice."
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nostalgic for the '80's
Ace Rewinder
Member # 37454

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Nostalgic for the '80's   Email Nostalgic for the '80's   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Crash:
I think that the "real 80s" look-and-feel and not just a holdover from the 70s decade came around 1983-84. Of all the movies that typify the era, "Flashdance" is the benchmark. For TV, it's "Miami Vice."

Agreed. Just re-watched Flashdance on Blu, and that was definitely one of the first films that had a pure '80's feel/vibe/tone re: the hair, music, etc.

And, Miami Vice exemplified the '80's to a great extent for many reasons already mentioned (there's a dedicated thread on this show in the TV section).

Posts: 400 | Registered: Sep 2016 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, i love early 80s films. Yes, there´s lots of 70s influences to be found but at the same time you can see the 80s fashion, style, music etc. coming with full force. That´s magic!

I enjoy early 80s films (80-82) more than late 80s (88-89).

Posts: 7053 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I enjoy early 80s films (80-82) more than late 80s (88-89).
Vibe-wise I totally agree. The movies had some of that 70's realist grit going on in the early 80's, and by the end of the 80's everything had become a little too stylized.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thenodfather
Master Rewinder
Member # 8732

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for thenodfather   Email thenodfather   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't. There is going to be a bit of overlap going from one day to the next.
Posts: 239 | From: Ireland | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home