iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Culture » Biggest Regret of 80s Stuff

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Biggest Regret of 80s Stuff
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I couldn't really think of a heading for this one so I hope that my explanation explains it well enough.

What is your biggest regret regarding all of the stuff that you used to have from the 80s?? Mine is the fact that I didn't keep more of my stuff. I am so envious that ISIS still has her scratch and sniff stickers. I have a couple of Cabbage Patch erasers and a few baseball cards. I totally wish that I would have taken better care of my stuff now so that I could go back and reminise about what my life was like when I was acquiring those things.

I will say that there was one incident that was out of my control that contributed to this problem. Our basement flooded when I was in high school and I lost a lot of stuff like my very first Cabbage Patch doll, Lenny John. It is so funny because my son looks just like my Cabbage Patch doll now, a blonde haired brown eye little beauty!!

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Floods are very prevalent for a lot of people our age losing stuff. There was this huge flood in 1987 which I'm sure destroyed a lot of cool 80's stuff. Attics are a much more safer altenative people, barring fires. As far as collecting stuff, I still have a lot of toys and momentos and stuff. But it's mostly from 1985 onwards. The stuff before 85 I wish I took more care in saving and also acquiring, stuff like mini video game consoles, tapes, sunglases, clothes, decorations that I totally took for granted. Taping american bandstand and solid gold back then would have been worth it too.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw at Wal-Mart the other day and there was an exact replica of the original Atari system. Now I don't know if that is actually what was in the box or if it was just to get people to buy it in hopes of it being like the original. I was never into any games like that.

Does anyone remember how much the original Atari games and system cost?

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have all the notes all my friends wrote me from 7th grade through my senior year. I have 3 big scrapbooks full of stuff...what I think is cool is to see I saved the ticket stubs from movies like Crocodille Dundee and Missing in Action...I still have my Prom corsage. I save everything. I have every piece of jewelry that any guy ever gave me, and that is actually quite a big collection....back in the 80's..this guy that liked me, I was his travel agent...and he sent me gifts from all over the world, cause he travelled all over...I have fresh water pearl necklaces and earrings from Hawaii...and a Blue Topaz ring...I have an amysthest(sp?) ring with 10 diamonds around it...that an old boyfriend gave me- he actually had bought me the entire set with a necklace and earrings, and paid $2500 for it in 1987, I couldn't keep it...he insisted I keep the ring, so I have it.

I have teddy bears that guys gave me at Christmas. I have at least 3 giant ones, I still put them out every year.

I have all my stuffed animals from when I was a baby...I have a doll named Molly and my Teddy bear- but his eyes fell out, but I still have him.

I have all my girl scout badges from when I was in Girl scouts....which I had about 40 badges, but I never bought a sash to put them on.

I have my Fire Queen dress from when i rode in the parades in the summer, I have different clothing items different boys gave me...like hats of theirs, shirts, and bandanas...I remember that being so cool....

when I would go to camp in the summer....boys wore bandanas around their necks, rolled up and then tied....and if I liked a guy, I use to wear their bandanas, around my neck, or tie them through my belt loops on my shorts like a belt.

Those were the days.

I have all my record albums. I have never thrown away a gift someone ever gave me. I have totes full of cards people have sent me.

I did loose stuff along the way though too, one of the things I miss is my "Buckwheat" keychain and T-shirt.

I miss all my clothes. I had such cute clothes, and I miss them so bad, and my denim boots I had, I could kill for to have back.

I saved 2 of my satin jackets I wore in the 80's.

I wish I had my Lee denim jacket back too.

I miss having all my toys...like my Bionic Woman stuff...I have my barbies, but boy they are a wreck, I think I gave them all haircuts.

I wish I had my "Jaws" game...and I still am whining over never being able to find the peanut butter and jelly board game which was my favorite game as a kid.

I did buy lots of stuff off ebay...like the Mad Magazine card game, and a Coleco Tabletop Donkey Kong game-which is in mint shape, and I play it all the time. I have my whole gameroom full of nothing but stuff I have collected..I love it. I have the Bionic Woman and Six Million Dollar Man board games, and Sigmund and the Seamonsters and the Lucan board game. I have arcade marquees for Frogger and Dig Dug, and I have Frogger, Donkey Kong and Pac Man board games, and a Qbert puzzle.

I have a Hardy Boys lunch box...and Flash Gordon one, and Gremlins and Ghostbuster-I have a staypuff marshmellow man stuffed doll...I have an Isis Halloween costume and the Isis puzzle and the Isis viewmaster reel.

I want more stuff...I want the Grizzly Adams doll and lunchbox. There are lots of lunchboxes I want.

I am huge on nostaglia. I even made a Rewind scrapbook, and I printed out some of my most favorite things people have written on here, and put them beside their picture in my Rewind scrapbook. I want to work on it some more. I have lots to add to it.

I haven't really kept doing scrapbooking...people are really in to it today, I use to save everything...every program of ever thing I ever went to, I even saved a piece of my birthday cake from when I was 9 years old. I still have that. That was one of my favorite birthdays. I have always been really grateful for every single experience I have ever had, and have always wanted to remember everything for as long as I could.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jessie- I got that Atari system for Christmas!!
It only cost $30 now, it doesn't have Donkey Kong, or Pac-Man or Frogger...

but we have been having a blast with it...I love playing Centipede....and Pong is fun, and Outlaw, and Hangman, it has over 40 games on it, even Pitfall.

The old one cost around $200. I do believe. I asked my mom what she remembered paying for it.
Plus I think I asked on here too.

The new one, is Exactly like the old one, same joystick, same game system...same exact games.

I highly recommend one...my son and husband have been playing it every day...it has games that anyone can figure out immediately...and anyone can play it...not like today's games which are so weird...and give me a headache and make me ill feeling just to look at.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
Are the graphics the same or did they improve those any?
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
They are EXACTLY the same.
The Mouse Avenger
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4406

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Mouse Avenger   Author's Homepage   Email The Mouse Avenger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Holy cow! Cool! [Big Grin]
Posts: 1057 | From: With my mouse pals on Baker Street | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish I still had my Atari. I wish I had all the little Lite Brite pegs and picture things that went with it. I'm glad I kept my Snoopy SnoCone Machine and my Pepsi dispenser. I can't use them, but at least I still have them. I wish I still had my Garbage Pail Kids cards. I had all of them at one time. I wish I had kept at least one pair of legwarmers. I wish I had kept all my Tiger Beat, Bop, Big Bopper, Metal Edge and Parade magazines.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eightieschick
Rewind Guru
Member # 4385

- posted      Profile for eightieschick   Email eightieschick       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish I still had my Levi's jacket-someone stole it when I was at a party in college, and my boyfriend had bought it for me for my birthday a few years before. I also had a nice denim purse, but the strap broke on it- it was the coolest and I always got complements on it. Other than that, and maybe my Circus, Hit Parader and Metal Edge mags, I don't really regret getting rid of stuff, because the clothes are out of style and would just take up too much room in my house. ISIS, I remember watching Lucan- I asked my hubby if he remembered it, but he doesn't! No one else seems to know what I'm talking about! I think my mother has saved some of my old sweaters though, with the matching legwarmers. I don't think she had the heart to give them to Goodwill.
Posts: 713 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
eightieschick-I have a bunch of Lucan episodes on VHS...if ya come visit...I'll show ya them...

I have the Lucan pilot episode that was a made for tv movie, it was awesome, Stockard Channing is in it.

I loved my Lite Brite too as a kid...I always goofed and though P was for purple not pink when V was purple=violet.

I was a crazy purple nut...I loved Donny and Marie and Donny as Captain Purple...I wish I would have kept my purple cow underwear and my scooby doo under roos.

Did anyone else have the rainbow Mork from Ork suspenders?? I hate to admit it but I did.

Did anyone else have HUGO-the man with 1000 faces...he was this creepy puppet thing that you could change his face with all kinds of different disguises.

I always wanted one of those Farrah Fawcett heads, that you could style her hair and put make up on her...those were so cool.

Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish I hadn't given away all my comic books.
Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eightieschick
Rewind Guru
Member # 4385

- posted      Profile for eightieschick   Email eightieschick       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the Mork from Ork suspenders- I wore them probably a total of two times! The boys used to like to snap them and they would hit you know where! Ouch!
I had the Farrah head. It came with really pretty makeup. I played with it alot, but my mother insisted that I never played with it. Whatever. She may still have it hidden away.
I did not have Hugo, but I seem to recall my brother's friend had one.
I remember playing Stop Thief all the time. That was a great game. Does anyone else have a favorite game from the 80's? I also just like the plain and simple board games that have been around for eons- Trouble, Sorry, Monopoly(but I was not allowed to play it as a kid because my mother said we would lose the pieces!), etc. Oh, and UNO was another fave too!

Posts: 713 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Mouse Avenger
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4406

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Mouse Avenger   Author's Homepage   Email The Mouse Avenger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish I had all that cool stuff like you did...(drools as her eyes glaze over)
Posts: 1057 | From: With my mouse pals on Baker Street | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I love Trouble and Uno...I use to like "Life" too...there were so many. We use to do puzzles all the time too. I remember my friend had a bunch of Scooby Doo puzzles, and we would put them together after school, and eat Captain Crunch cereal out of the box.

All summer long we played board games on someone's porch. We ate freeze pops...I remember my mom making posicles with the tupperware molds, and using Funny Face watermelon flavored drink mix, those were the best. I was looking for those molds over the summer last year...and all the ones I found were cheap looking. Tupperware was like the Pampered Chef stuff of today...where all the mom's got together to get excited over the latest lettuce crisper.

My regrets are also with food...I wish I could buy alot of the products that I had in the 80's...like Koogle and C.W. Post cereal...I hate when products you love go off the market and they quit making them...that is as if someone you cared about died. I hate that.

My cousin collected everything back in the 80's, she never took ANYTHING out of the box...the one thing she was majorly in to collecting was anything Holly Hobbie...and you never hear anyone ever collecting Holly Hobbie...or even hear those words any more. I think little girls need stuff like that to play with more than stupid ugly Bratz dolls.

I asked my son tonight to name me one girl in the whole celebrity world that he thinks is a nice girl, or even pretty...and he said they are all sleazes...I wasn't sure he knew what a sleaze was, but I thought never mind, he used the same word I would have used...and to me...I said to my mom...what I think is the saddest thing is I miss getting the teen beat magazines and hanging posters of my favorite people...like The Hardy Boys/ Nancy Drew...and Donny and Marie...The Bay City Rollers...Andy Gibb...Olivia Newton-John, Lindsey Wagner...Wonder Woman, Isis and Shazam! Grizzly Adams, Charlie's Angels, The Fonz, Laverne and Shirley, ...even Kim Richards and Kristy McNichol, and the Sagal(Liz and Jean) twins they were cute...not hoochied up...and even girls that were pin up models like Christie Brinkley and Heather Thomas...they didn't go on tv and talk about their sex lives to everyone. It is just so different. I am so glad I grew up when I did...I feel so bad for kids of today...they have nobody to look up to...my son says kids at lunch they wear Green Day t-shirts and shirts with Skulls and Flames on them...

if nobody can understand how different it is...they need to go hang out in a school cafeteria for a day.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home