iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Culture » 80's movies/tv shows you know you should watch but never have

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 80's movies/tv shows you know you should watch but never have
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never seen -

16 candles
Valley Girl
LA Law
MacGyver

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a major 80s movie fan but I have never seen any of the following:

-"RoboCop"

-"Some Kind Of Wonderful"

-"Planes, Trains And Automobiles"

-"She's Having A Baby"

-"Can't Buy Me Love"

-"The Karate Kid"

-"Valley Girl"

-"...Better Off Dead"

-"Say Anything"

-"Heathers"

-"The Last American Virgin"

-"Rain Man" (Not that I really want to see this movie, basically because, as an autistic individual [albeit a high-functioning one], I think a movie like this perpetrates a stereotype of the autistic individual as an incompetent savant.)

-"Soul Man"

-"The Empire Strikes Back" and "Return Of The Jedi" (I never cared to...I'm not a "Star Wars" movie fan. The films bore me.)

-I've only seen bits and pieces of "Top Gun" (no pun intended).

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
John, your 80s Avenger Blockbuster card is revoked until you have at least seen half of those you list!

Start with SKOW ( [Wink] )and PT&A, then go on to Say Anything and Valley Girl.

And to be fair, I'd really recommend Rain man to you. I'm not as familiar with autism and it's surronding issues than you, but Dustin Hoffman even managed to get a good performance from Tom Cruise, and that alone makes it noteworthy. Plus, I'm sure that many people here would value your considered feelings about the movie.

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eightieschick
Rewind Guru
Member # 4385

- posted      Profile for eightieschick   Email eightieschick       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I were to name all of the movies from the 80's that I have NOT seen, It would take up at least an entire page. Just scroll down on yer left there, and most of the movies are ones that I have not seen. I am hoping to rent some, or if I can't rent them, then buy them cheap at Walmart. I would say I have seen 10-15 of the movies reviewed here. Some just don't interest me. In the 80's I was too busy with school, boyfriends and most of all- PARTYING, to be concerned about movie-watching. I'm just trying to catch up now.
Posts: 713 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Mouse Avenger
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4406

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Mouse Avenger   Author's Homepage   Email The Mouse Avenger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've missed everything but all the 80's cartoon movies, the Prince movies, & the Speilberg / Lucas stuff.
Posts: 1057 | From: With my mouse pals on Baker Street | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never seen LA Law or Valley Girl. I'm sure there're more, but I'm drawing a blank now...
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are tons of TV shows I missed...that I just now have gotten in to, and from the 70's too.

In the past year I watched the first 2 seasons of Starsky and Hutch and Baretta...and I never saw them in the 70's.

I never saw MacGyver, The A-team or Miami Vice...cause they were boy shows to me...but I think I would watch them now cause I don't have the variety I did back then...that caused me to miss them.

I actually only watched MTV from 1987-1989...so there were very few tv shows then that I got in to. I had a pretty awesome social life in the late 80's, so I didn't spend much time in front of the TV until late night...and that's where MTV got me addicted to it.

I need to start watching Dynasty....I never saw it in the 80's, but thanks to cindymancini...I can watch it now. I am psyched about it...I just gotta get through Christmas.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG, Stitch, Rockesteady and Pettyfan you have to see Valley Girl. It may not be a cinemati masterpiece, but it is too large on the 80'someter of pop culture not have seen it. Also some other high quality 80's movies on Rocksteady's list that require immediate viewing.

As for 80's movies I have never seen yet, I'm sort of scraping the cupboard bare these days. Some are movies that I didn't watch.

Dolls
Teenage Witch
Rad
Thunder Alley
Lovelines
Fire with Fire
Xanadu
Wimps
Hamburger the movie
Up the Creek

Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Riptide.....did you never see Fire with Fire ever???

I thought you had seen it and loved it and that's why you wanted it so bad...you'll have it very soon.

You gotta tell me if you like it. The lead girl's name is Lisa...so you know it has to be good just because of that.... [Big Grin]

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey rips, DOLLS was quite good. i posted about that movie a while back and someone replied, saying it was getting a dvd release.

it's somewhat shocking to hear that some people have never seen 16 CANDLES. i can understand VALLEY GIRL because i know tons of people who haven't seen it or heard of it...especially guys.

as for 80s tv shows there are loads that i never payed attention to. i think i may have seen 2 or 3 full episodes of miami vice??

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Riptide.....did you never see Fire with Fire ever???
I thought you had seen it and loved it and that's why you wanted it so bad...you'll have it very soon.
You gotta tell me if you like it. The lead girl's name is Lisa...so you know it has to be good just because of that....

Isis, never seen Fire with Fire nor Night of the Creeps. But I'm a big Virginia Madsen fan, so that's a big reason why I wanted to see it. Stuff like Electric Dreams and Modern Girls were stuff I loved her in too. Night of the Creeps has eluded me too. Although I have been tempted to buy the bootleg DVD copy on e-bay. Same goes for Savage Streets.

As for Dolls, I have always been a bit freaked out about movies with puppets and dolls coming to life, so not sure if I would enjoy it much.

I also just thought about 80's TV shows, and I recall never really watching popular shows like CHIPS or the show of my namesake Riptide! Shame on me. But I remember watching shows that no one remembers like CB Barnes in Day by Day and Corey Haim's short lived Roomies, and Learning the Ropes with Lyle Alzado.

Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Well...it is in the mail and on it's way to you....I LOVE her in this movie and I never was a huge fan of hers, so you should LOVE her in it...because she looks really great, and it just is so perfectly done, for a love story...to me anyway....you have to watch it immediately and let me know what you tink. Cause when I watched it the first time ...it blew me away, because I loved the whole cast, I loved the story, I loved the music, I just thought it was the coolest. I had to watch it again immediately. I need to watch it soon myself. Let me know when you get the movie, and maybe I'll watch it the night you do, so then I can remember everything fresh, and then we'll talk!!
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember CB Barnes...
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
Wow, as for CB Barnes, that makes two of us who remember him.

As for Fire with Fire, Isis that sounds cool you watching that again to refresh your memories. All through the years, I have no clue, why this movie has eluded me. I think everyone has a movie in which they are cursed from watching. I think Isis had a reall struggle and bad streak of luck trying to watch and acquire Just one of the Guys right? So curious about Fire with Fire, can you compare the intensity between the two characters to Aidan Quinn and Darryl Hannah in Reckless?

LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I don't really remember much about Reckless, but I don't think they are anything alike.
eightieschick
Rewind Guru
Member # 4385

- posted      Profile for eightieschick   Email eightieschick       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just read the Reckless page. It sounds like a cross between the Outsiders and All the Right Moves. Sounds interesting, but I can't stand to watch Daryl Hannah. Her acting is so horrible. The only reason she got where she is was thanks to her super rich stepfather. I love Aidan Quinn though, so maybe I'll break down and rent it someday. That new television show that will be on NBC with Aidan Quinn starrring,"The Book of Daniel" looks pretty good-kind of a comedy-drama.
Posts: 713 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
Eightieschick, if I am correct, I think both Reckless and All the Right Moves is set in Pittsburgh, or close to it, that small Pennsylvania steeltown vibe. Is Reckless even on DVD yet?
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I think I remember the video cover was a picture of her and him on a motorcycle.

I know that what I remember of it...it isn't anything like Fire with Fire.

Fire with Fire, they are really young teens...kind of like first love, and they are so cute together.

I thought Reckless was kind of like they were what the title is ..."Reckless"?????

Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Riptide:
Eightieschick, if I am correct, I think both Reckless and All the Right Moves is set in Pittsburgh, or close to it, that small Pennsylvania steeltown vibe. Is Reckless even on DVD yet?

Riptide actually "All The Right Moves" was shot near Eightieschick's hometown and even some of her friends were extras in the movie. But for some reason she still holds a grudge against Tommy Cruise because he dumped her right before prom or something. [Razz] Maybe she can explain it better.
[Wink]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Riptide:
Wow, as for CB Barnes, that makes two of us who remember him.

As for Fire with Fire, Isis that sounds cool you watching that again to refresh your memories. All through the years, I have no clue, why this movie has eluded me. I think everyone has a movie in which they are cursed from watching. I think Isis had a reall struggle and bad streak of luck trying to watch and acquire Just one of the Guys right? So curious about Fire with Fire, can you compare the intensity between the two characters to Aidan Quinn and Darryl Hannah in Reckless?

Oh my goodness I had never thought of it that way but I guess you could compare Fire with Fire to Reckless! Although Reckless is much much more steamy!

Rip--I will watch Fire with Fire with you anytime!!! You definately have got to see this one! For sure, like totally!

I cannot believe that Sixteen Candles would be on anyone's list either! That is so odd to me because it is like definately one that any 80s fan should have seen. All of you Sixteen Candles virgins get on the ball and let us know what you think of it!

Okay movies that I haven't seen but should would probablly be Purple Rain. I just have never had the desire to see that one. There are others but I can't think of them right now! I'll check back in on this one...

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
You were right, Fire with Fire has the two hot young lovers versus the world vibe like reckless, but it's more innocent and tenderhearted and less sexual than Reckless. Jessie, you really should see Purple rain though, it's such vintage Prince. A

Also movies I have never seen are the perrenial Rewind fave Hugga Bunch.

Also haven't seen Mystic Pizza.

StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Riptide wrote:
quote:
Also, movies I have never seen are the perrenial Rewind fave "Hugga Bunch".
That is going to be your next Birthday present!
[Smile]

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home