iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Your top 5 New Wave songs... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Your top 5 New Wave songs...
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is purely for selfish purposes cause I want to get some more New Wave tunes on my Ipod yet I've hit a mental block and can't think of any more titles. Sooo, list your top 5 picks. It will stir up some ideas and maybe we'll all get reminded of some tunes we have forgotten about. [Cool]
Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

I like the way you are thinking...

My top 5 (sort of)

Fade to Grey - Visage (just something different)
New toy - Lene Lovich (good song)
The Backyard - the Miracle Legion
Gut Feeling -DEVO (it's in every trailer all the time)
Imagination - Belouis Some

There you go to start,
We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Animotion: I Engineer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVTL2mazlQc

The Cars: Magic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bEu9wLDjKY

Falco: Wiener Blut

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMrwcix41sY

Posts: 7056 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool post.

1)Kraftwerk-Computer World
2)Fad gadget-Lady Shave
3)John Foxx-Underpass
4)OMD-Statues
5)Psychedelic Furs-Here come cowboys

Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it's hard to pick a top five but i'll give some favs:
What are the classifications to make it "NewWave" huh? [Smile]

SexDwarf- Soft Cell
So Long-Fischer Z
Generals and Majors-XTC
Angst in my Pants-Sparks
Close to Me- The Cure (new wave?) haha

Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Contains 0.2% of Rewind Riboflavin
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aye, there's way too many to choose from, to just pick 5. But here are a few I never get tired of.

1. Billy Idol - Eyes Without a Face
2. Ice House - Hey Little Girl
3. Talk Talk - Such a Shame
4. Gary Numan - We Take Mystery (to Bed)
5. Robert Hazard - Escalator of Life

Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cindy, New Wave huh?, the term is hard to pin down, so I don't know if these are New Wave, but here's a few:

1. Echo and the Bunnymen - Lips Like Sugar
2. Erasure - Sometimes
3. Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart
4. New Order - True Faith
5. Romeo Void - Never Say Never

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gary Numan--Cars
The Replacements-Ba$tards of Young
Kraftwerk--The Model
Violent Femmes--Blister in the Sun
Nails--88 Lines About 44 Women
XTC--Dear God
Joy Division--Love Will Tear Us Apart
Devo--Jocko H0mo
The Fixx--Red Skies at Night
Roxy Music--Jealous Guy (John Lennon cover; very awesome version!!!!)
Split Enz--I Got You
Echo and the Bunnymen--Killing Moon
Missing Persons--Destination Unknown
Killing Joke--Eighties

I guess I was never too sure as what actually constitutes as being new wave. Always felt that it was a pretty broad but yet vague title.

Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
btw Cindy, update us on your New Wave ipod choices!
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is "New Wave" like dance music? Pop? Techno? I never really understood the term. Alot of the songs on the lists above, I always termed as "Pop Music." I don't know.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I looked it up, cause I wasn’t really sure myself.
It IS a vague term and according to Wikipedia a source of much confusion. New Wave describes pretty much every hard to classify (pop) song made between 1977 and 1988.
I guess most alternative, synthpop music and post punk is to be concidered 'New Wave' as well.

More information:

New Wave

List of New Wave bands and artists

Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, okay I love you guys!! This is awesome feedback! I am humbled because I can honestly say I don't know most of these titles! I can't wait to get them now!!!! Yes!!! And TKO, thanks for Wikipeding the info on New Wave...radical!!

I'll be back with some of my own songs...

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New wave was a really broad term to be used more for radio programmers who didn't want to play punk. As incredible as it seems, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers were classified under the new wave banner as well. Nowadays we consider them classic rock? Even bands like the Knack have been termed power pop instead of new wave. So we seem to have more factions.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
as i understood it, new wave was what happened when a lot of punkish bands had that synth sound to their music - who couldn't quite be considered to be catagorized as punk music because they were more ..pop? or post punk i guess.

i never considered tom petty to be new wave? how odd.. even his early 80s tunes were just.. pop/rock to me.

how about retro? was retro considered a genre?

i guess there are different ways of describing music from the 80s.. freestyle was considered 'dance pop'.. depeche mode - synth pop or post punk..

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
TKO, some sad news about Robert Hazard, he died on Aug. 5th. He was also the writer of stone cold 80's song classic Girls just Want to have fun.
TKO
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
Wow, that is sad and shocking news indeed. I was on his website only a week ago.
TKO
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
Cindy,

I was at this New Wave party last week and I rediscovered a whole bunch of great (be it more obscure) New Wave songs. I'm not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for, as these are more Electro Wave or Club Wave kinda tunes. But should you have some extra time on your hands, it's sure worth checking out the playlist

Here's a few of my favorites:

The Sound - Winning

The Neon Judgement - TV Treated

Fad Gadget - Coitus Interruptus

Grauzone - Eisbär

Grauzone - Film 2

Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
Stellar choices TKO, I really love the Sound, never understood their baffling lack of commercial success. When I hear their music I think they were as good as U2 or Echo and the Bunnymen. Fad Gadget is way underrated too, so sad that he succumbed to heart attack a few years ago during his comeback opening for Depeche Mode on tour. Early Front 242 has some gems too.
TKO
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
Totally agree on The Sound Riptide. They deserve much better.

I heard so many great music that night that I almost forgot about and other fantastic stuff I never even heard before.
It's incredible how much there is still to discover within only one decade.

BTW I really liked your choises too. Fad Gadget's 'Lady Shave' and even John Foxx's 'Underpass' were unknown by me until this topic.

kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cindy....there's a box set called "Left Of The Dial".....best of the 80's Underground...you may want to check it out.....very very good. I've included the entire track list below, but my five favorites are:

1. Enola Gay - Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark
2. Vienna - Ultravox
3. Love Will Tear Us Apart - Joy Division
4. Going Underground - The Jam
5. The Charming Man - The Smiths

When I think New Wave, I automatically think of British/English bands. hope the list helps.

Disc: 1
1. Radio Free Europe - R.E.M.
2. Going Underground - The Jam
3. A Forest - The Cure
4. Holiday in Cambodia - Dead Kennedys
5. I'm In Love With A German Film Star - Passions
6. I Will Dare - The Replacements
7. That's When I Reach For My Revolver - Mission Of Burma
8. Johny Hit And Run Paulene - x
9. Just Like Honey - The Jesus And Mary Chain
10. Black Celebration - Depeche Mode
11. Tell Me When It's Over - The Dream Syndicate
12. Hollywood (Africa) - The Red Hot Chili Peppers
13. Temptation - New Order
14. Ghosts - Japan
15. A Song From Under The Floorboards - Magazine
16. Oblivious - Aztec Camera
17. Don't Want To Know If You Are Lonely - Husker Du
18. Rise Above - Black Flag
19. Back In Flesh - Wall Of Voodoo
20. Cattle And Cane - The Go-Betweens
Disc: 2
1. Message Of Love - The Pretenders
2. Vienna - Ultravox
3. Freak Scene - Dinosaur Jr.
4. The Charming Man - The Smiths
5. Stigmata - Ministry
6. Ways To Be Wicked - Lone Justice
7. Wardance - Killing Joke
8. Enola Gay - Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark
9. Mirror In The Bathroom - The English Beat
10. Fairytale In The Supermarket - The Raincoats
11. Behind The Wall Of Sleep - The Smithereens
12. Political Song For Michael Jackson To Sing - Minutemen
13. Punk Rock Girl - The Dead Milkmen
14. Still In Hollywood - Concrete Blonde
15. Love Will Tear Us Apart - Joy Division
16. Blister In The Sun - Violent Femmes
17. Lake Of Fire - Meat Puppets
18. Amplifier - The DB's
19. When Love Breaks Down - Prefab Sprout
20. Goo Goo Muck - The Cramps
21. This Corrosion - Sisters Of Mercy
22. Senses Working Overtime - XTC
Disc: 3
1. The Cutter - Echo & The Bunnymen
2. Pay To ***! - Bad Brains
3. Birthday - The Sugarcubes
4. Madonna Of The Wasps - Robyn Hitch**** 'n' The Egyptians
5. We Care A Lot - Faith No More
6. Teen Age Riot - Sonic Youth
7. To Hell With Poverty - Gang Of Four
8. Fa Ce-La - The Feelies
9. Ana Ng - They Might Be Giants
10. Swamp Thing - The Chameleons UK
11. The Mercy Seat - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
12. I Look Around - The Rain Parade
13. All That Money Wants - Psychedelic Furs
14. Under The Milky Way - The Church
15. Rise - Public Image Ltd.
16. Kundalini Express - Love And Rockets
17. Gravity Talks - Green On Red
18. Adrenalin - Throbbing Gristle
19. She Bangs The Drums - The Stone Roses
Disc: 4
1. Monkey Gone To Heaven - Pixies
2. Uncertain Smile (Original 7 Inch Version) - The The
3. Bela Lugosi's Dead - Bauhaus
4. Christine - Siouxsie And The Banshees
5. Straight Edge - Minor Threat
6. I Want To Help You Ann - The Lyres
7. Our Secret - Beat Happening
8. Jane Says - Jane's Addiction
9. World Shut Your Mouth - Julian Cope
10. Running Up That Hill - Kate Bush
11. Sex Beat - Gun Club
12. Take The Skinheads Bowling - Camper Van Beethoven
13. Institutionalized - Suicidal Tendencies
14. Pearly-Dewdrops' Drops - Cocteau Twins
15. 24 Hour Party People - Happy Mondays
16. I Want You Back - Hoodoo Gurus
17. Suburban Home - Descendents
18. A Pair Of Brown Eyes - The Pogues
19. Jet Fighter - The Three O'Clock
20. Moving To Florida - Butthole Surfers
21. A New England - Billy Bragg

Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
Kevdugp73, that box set is really good, a good mix of Brit/American alternative acts.

TKO, the Sound were bigger in Europe, in fact they were huge in Rotterdam, they actually only toured North America once. They could have had a huge break opening for U2 around each acts first few albums, but a band member got injured so they had to pull out. They could have maybe reached a larger audience. Another great group from that era similar was Comsat Angels, they are know for one song on the Real genius sndtrck, but they have a lot of strong material.

John Foxx was another one who kind of got left behind, he sang on the first three Ultravox albums which are highly recommended, they have a great early electro/punk kind of sound, Gary Numan borrowed a lot from him in style and subject matter, so when Foxx went solo he was kind of caught in that catch 22, where people think you were the follower not the leader. The same applied to Japan who predated Duran Duran but some years, but DD ran with their look and sound and did much better in commercial terms.

TKO
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
Riptide, I'm exploring the Comsat Angels repertoire right now. Great stuff! Thanks.

As to The Sound, I did some research myself and found out that lead singer Adrian Borland was a very troubled individual with an obsession for Jim Morrison. He suffered a nervous breakdown on stage and the band fell apart soon after. Eventually he threw himself underneath a train in 1999.
This reminds me so much of the Ian Curtis story.
Too bad I missed the height of their popularity around these regions.

Fad Gadget, Gary Numan, Ultravox, John Foxx... All of their music is amazing. But for some odd reason the music of Japan never appealed to me. Even though, I think David Sylvian is gifted with a fantastic voice. I own his solo album ‘Brilliant Trees’ which I do like.

xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for xchazx   Email xchazx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that's a pretty solid box set.
Posts: 675 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
great list kevdugp73! that's my idea of new wave, punk & industrial. [Wink]

i love the cramps, bauhaus, JD & siouxsie sioux!

good to see some punk in there.. black flag, bad brains, dead kennedys..

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Member # 679

Member Rated:
Thanks for the tip kevdugp73!! Looks like an interesting collection. I wonder how much it costs...I'll have to research it [Smile] !!

I've been downloading alot of the stuff you guys recommended and I'm liking it!!! Thank you, this idea worked!!!

Some of the happy surprises for me are:

Red Skies-The Fixx
Wiener Blut-Falco
Lips Like Sugar-Echo and The Bunnymen
I Engineer-Animotion

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home