iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Favorite song from a band that isn't their trademark song (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Favorite song from a band that isn't their trademark song
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

For instance, Devo's trademark song is Whip it,
But my favorite song by them is Smart Patrol/ Mr. DNA or Gut Feeling

There are plenty of people that love Scenes from an Italian Resturant, but I hate that song when it comes to Billy Joel, I'm all about Sleeping with the Television on.

So come on, all bands are good, and no posts are bad.

Go for it.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite song by AHA is The Sun Always Shines On TV, not their hit Take On Me.

FREEZE had a hit called AEIOU that was great, but I prefer their lesser-known Pop Goes My Love.

EBN N OZN also had a song called AEIOU (!) but I prefer their lesser-known song Bag Lady.

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
anything by Warrant other than Cherry Pie

anything by Def Leppard other than Pour Some Sugar On Me

Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite REO Speedwagon tune is In My Dreams rather than the usually given Keep on Loving You or Can't Fight This Feeling.

Likewise, if I had to pick Elton John's best song out of hundreds to choose from, it would be the usually second tier (didn't make his all-encompassing Greatest Hits CD) Healing Hands.

Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for xchazx   Email xchazx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
a band that should not be considered a one hit wonder is Big Country. they put out two great albums, "the crossing" and "steeltown". we all know their most popular song, but their best song is "east of eden".

joe jackson- i love this guy. he had a few big songs i knew thanks to his early empty-v video days, but his best song is "it's different for girls"

the cure- i would say their most famous song is "boys don't cry", but "jumping someone else's train" is their best(but that changes often)

the smiths- i think everyone has heard the song "how soon is now?", but i would say every other song they ever wrote is better. my favorite band so i can't pick just one song

nirvana- lot's of popular songs, but their best is "negative creep"

Posts: 675 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
great post

Simple Minds-It's Don't you forget about me, but for me it's Glittering Prize or Somewhere in the summertime
U2- For most it's With or without you or One, but I like Drowning Man(never done in concert!)

Soft Cell-Tainted love for most, but it's Hello Wave goodbye.

Glass Tiger-Don't forget me when I'm gone, but to me it's Over the thin red line

Van Halen-It's Jump, but I like Unchained the best.

Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Instead of Cyndi Lauper's "Girls Just Want To Have Fun", which I of course still like, but prefer "When You Were Mine", and "All Through The Night".
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Continuing,

Oingo Boingo, you say dead man's party, I say Only a Lad or Not My Slave.

Joe Jackson, I prefer I'm the Man

The Cars - Off the Heartbeat City Album Hello Again or the first album -Bye Bye Love

The Pretenders - My City was gone.

I'll think of more. I like this alot.

WE are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Contains 0.2% of Rewind Riboflavin
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Though I like all of their 80's stuff, my favorite Depeche Mode song is the lesser known 'Little 15'.

Joy Division's 'Dead Souls' instead of 'Love Will Tear Us Apart'.

I always had more of a soft spot for Prince's B-sides, such as 'Erotic City' (Let's Go Crazy), God (Purple Rain), She's Always in My Hair ( Paisley Park), 17 Days (When Doves Cry)

I prefer 'Watch Me Bleed' by Tears for Fears over 'Everybody Wants to Rule the World'.

Also, I love 'Reptile' by The Church more than 'Under the Milky Way'.

Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of the albums I have bought throughout my life for a "hit" song turned out to be the least favorite of mine on the album. Isn't this always the case though? I talked to a friend of mine about this very subject and he agreed. It's a shame that people don't by 'entire' albums anymore. They don't know what they are missing out on...

BTW,

For Devo "Girl u want"...

she's just the girl, she´s just the girl
the girl u want

Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rick Springfield - Jessie's Girl. I like Souls better.
Asia - Heat Of The Moment. I like Only Time Will Tell better.
Eddie Money - Two Tickets To Paradise. I like Peace In Our Time, Looking Through The Eyes Of A Child, plus many more better.
Pat Benetar - Love Is A Battlefield. I like One Love, plus many more better.
Yes - Owner Of A Lonely Heart. I like Changes better.

I still love "The Hits" as well. I'll be back with a "Metal" list later.

Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Cars- Dangerous Type- that is their best song in my world!
Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like Real Men by Joe Jackson best
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bandit
Ace Rewinder
Member # 6296

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for bandit   Author's Homepage   Email bandit   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kevdugp73:
Instead of Cyndi Lauper's "Girls Just Want To Have Fun", which I of course still like, but prefer "When You Were Mine", and "All Through The Night".

Time after time.I just love that tune and the clock ticking along.

Be well.

Posts: 362 | From: Third rock from the sun | Registered: Nov 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True Colors by Cyndi as well.
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Smiths-How soon is now, but I think There is a light that never goes out is better.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thats my favorite SMITHS song too .
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lloyd_Dobler
Senior Rewinder
Member # 7119

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Lloyd_Dobler   Email Lloyd_Dobler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love every Smiths song ever made. By far my most favorite group of all time. "The Queen is Dead" album is my favorite of theirs, but loads of songs on "Strangeways, Here We Come" are great too. "Hellllllllllloooo, I'm the ghost of troubled Joe..." Oh man, so good!
Posts: 64 | From: Renton, WA | Registered: Jun 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for xchazx   Email xchazx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the smiths are the greatest band ever. and for the record, it is scientifically proven(by a dr lazlo hollyfeld i believe) that it's impossible to pick one song from the smiths as your favorite. there is just too much to choose from. it's still impossible for me to pick a favorite album, so i don't even try.

i was never a big thomas dolby fan, but he has a song called "europa" that i like more than "she blinded me with science"

tears for fears is a band who i never appreciated in the 80's and now i find that they have a lot of songs i love, including their popular songs. i would say the songs "pale shelter" and "change" are my favorites, even though i think "everybody wants to rule the world" is their most popular.

simple minds- "all the things she said" is my favorite

depeche mode- "new dress" is my favorite song, though it could also be "everything counts" or "never let me down again"

the pretenders are such a good band though i've never been a huge fan outside of their commercially successful songs. i'm not sure if it's a cover song or not, but they did a song called "thin line between love and hate" that is awesome and i would say is my favorite.

joy division- "dead souls" ftw. one of the greatest songs ever written.

the church- "reptile" is my favorite song from this very under appreciated band

Posts: 675 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Instead of English Beat's, "Mirror in The Bathroom," I'll take "I Confess."

Instead of "Forever Young," I'll take "Big In Japan" by Alphaville.

Give me "Physical Attraction" instead of Madonna's "Holiday."

New Order's "Perfect Kiss" instead of "Bizarre Love Triangle."

Dead or Alive's "Brand New Lover" as opposed to "Spin Me Right Around."

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
Devolution here,

I'll see your Physical Attraction and raise you a "Causin a commotion".

Big in Japan is better.

I like Love Vigilantes better than Perfect Kiss

I also love Over the Hills and Far Away more than Stairway to Heaven by Zeppelin

Not to mention If we are talking about the SMITHS it's all about Bigmouth Strikes Again.

We are DEVO

cindymancini
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Devolution:
Devolution here,

I'll see your Physical Attraction and raise you a "Causin a commotion".

Oh snap...hahahaha! "Causing A Commotion" is my second favorite Madonna song of all time!!

"I hope you find what you're looking for...it might walk through that door...we're wasting time..make up your mind....and GET IN TO THE GROOVE."

This song killed live on the Blonde Ambition tour!!

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Member # 679

Member Rated:
Here's a another one...

Give me "Never You Done That" by General Public over "Tenderness."

Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
Devolution here,

Bump for valley.

We are DEVO

P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cindymancini:
Instead of English Beat's, "Mirror in The Bathroom," I'll take "I Confess."

Instead of "Forever Young," I'll take "Big In Japan" by Alphaville.

I can't but strongly disagree with The Beat - I confess was a very weak sony IMHO - Mirror In The Bathroom rocks (but not as good as Hands Off She's Mine)

And over here in the UK, Alphaville's signature song IS Big In Japan... [Smile]

Others:

The Specials. Most know Ghost Town or Too Much Too Young, but Little Bitch, Man At C&A and Gangsters are better songs.

Simple Minds : Best one is Waterfront.

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home