iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Songs you connect a certain moment to.... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Songs you connect a certain moment to....
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are there songs that as soon as you hear them, you connect an actual moment of your life to?

I have a few of them....

Here's one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm4xNlxznfs

and

here's another:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXOEcXred5M

and this was a big one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwVVxlmYOok

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, nice songs. There's a Breathe one that always takes me back to summer '88:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmY3GFiXg3A&feature=related

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a bunch of those kind of songs and moments, the entire Richard Marx album Repeat Offender always reminds me of the summer of 89, Hold on to the Nights, Angelina, Satisfied, etc. It just feels like yesterday. Madonna's Like a prayer album has the same nostalgia for me during this period.

Also there was a time period that our high school band went on the road to comepetions during 1988 and I distinctively remember all the songs of that period that trigger instant memories such as:

Johnny Hates Jazz-Shattered Dreams
Whitney Houston-Where do broken Hearts go
David Lee Roth-Just like Paradise
Belinda Carlisle-Circle in the Sand
FYC-She drives me crazy.

Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bandit
Ace Rewinder
Member # 6296

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for bandit   Author's Homepage   Email bandit   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also have loads of them.A few of them also just horrible tunes in the end.But they sure still get those neurons/dopamin pumping .If i should mentioned them all,i could sit here a long long time..Just a few from the top of my head:Glory of love.Any link is not needed i`m sure [Smile]

Here is another: tell me lies

Another strange one Bad boys blue : here

Or maybe even stranger,an Italian group called scotch here

My brain work in mysterious ways..

And of course a lot of the US classics.

BTW as an Norwegian i really should mention A-HA.
Take on me,hunting high and low,Stay on these roads,and others.To think they were only 15/16 at the time and produced music like that is pretty awesome.I have to refer Morten Harket to rewind next time i see him.

Regards.

Posts: 362 | From: Third rock from the sun | Registered: Nov 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have dozens myself. Too many to list. I'm sure everybody does. It is amazing that as soon as you hear the first note of that song, it instantly takes you back to a specific moment in time. Pretty cool though. [Smile]
Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Contains 0.2% of Rewind Riboflavin
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bandit:

BTW as an Norwegian i really should mention A-HA.

Speaking of the Norwegian music scene of the 1980's..

I like to add 'Shouldn't Have to Be Like That' by Fra Lippo Lippi. It reminds me of going to the fair and spending all my money on the bumper cars.

Not only does this song bring back certain memories. It's simply a good tune.

Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bandit
Ace Rewinder
Member # 6296

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for bandit   Author's Homepage   Email bandit   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agreed TKO [Big Grin]

Another Norwegian group,i`m sure most of you don`t know.But well worth to check out:The Monroes.Huge over here at the time,and one of my favorites.Here is one of their tunes,highly recommended.

Here

Enjoy!

[ 08. July 2008, 15:44: Message edited by: bandit ]

Posts: 362 | From: Third rock from the sun | Registered: Nov 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's another one for me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bR46ibN7Rw

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
This is another major song to me, that I have an awesome memory of cruising around town to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QN7Vr4NePYY

cindymancini-I never realized that Meredith is in this video, that's pretty cool.

80'sRocked

Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Monroes - What Do All The People Know. I listen to this song often. Masterpiece!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=d2jRez9_mwE

Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great videos guys, I remember the day when Cyndi's album came out with that song, it was like woah, she's back in the charts. I love that video, even the roy Orbison version with Jason Priestley and Jennifer Connely. The time it came out, I thought it was one of the more steamier videos I saw since Chris Isaak's Wicked Game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBGQ1AyQh2A

I totally forgot about that Monroes song, I didn't recognize the intro or video, but as soon as I heard the chorus it came right back to me. The song has more hooks than a tackle box. When I hear that song all these other hooky songs like the Producers What She does to me and countless Squeeze songs come to mind, just endless good hooks.

Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
Bandit, here is a song I used to listen to, I believe the group is scandanavian, heard of them?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq02Z0oh_Ls

Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
As soon as that trumpet intro hits, I immediately feel like I'm back in 1985 when I first saw this. They didn't play this often, but still one of my favorites of the era. Only one album too. Nobody ever rocked polkadots like these girls!
bandit
Ace Rewinder
Member # 6296

Member Rated:
Yep Norwegians.Good one Riptide [Big Grin] C lauper is also always a winner.Here`s another one from the Norwegian Monroes: Sunday people

Pretty funny video as well.

Be well

[ 09. July 2008, 04:55: Message edited by: bandit ]

bandit
Ace Rewinder
Member # 6296

Member Rated:
Here is one i just can`t listen to anymore.To sad memory attached to it [Frown] It sure is a beautiful tune though.From 1990,but i hope i`m excused this one time.

Here

Regards.

[ 09. July 2008, 04:18: Message edited by: bandit ]

TKO
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
‘What Do All the People Know’ is a great song. Funny, I never heard of this band before or maybe I forgot about their existence.
The other one by The Monroes ‘Sunday People’ really sounds like a Madness song. They even try to imitate the accent. Not a bad attempt though… But, nothing compares to the real Madness. [Wink]

What a coincidence. I have nothing but bad memories attached to Sinead’s ‘Nothing Compares 2 U’ as well. I never liked it. On top of that it reminds me of an ex-girlfriend who went crazy and stalked me for months after we broke up. She kept putting breakup singles in my mailbox. Nothing Compares 2 U and How Am I Supposed to Live Without You were the worst ones. That went on until she moved to.. Sweden.

Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bandit
Ace Rewinder
Member # 6296

Member Rated:
TKO,that sounds a lot like my memory as well..Only we stayed together for several years, then she started stalking another guy behind my back.I agree girls like that should be moved to Sweden [Wink] I just really hope there isn`t any swedish member around this forum [Big Grin]

Regards.

TKO
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
Haha, that is freaky bandid. As I recall correctly , there was at one time a Swedish member registered. But I haven’t seen him posting in a while. So I think we’ll be safe for now. [Big Grin]

Cheers!

bandit
Ace Rewinder
Member # 6296

Member Rated:
At least i hope he had a sense of humor [Big Grin] My Crane kick is a bit rusty these days [Karate Kid]

Sweden and Norway have a long tradition in making fun of each other.In the end we are really the best of neighbors.

And they also produced musicians like Abba and Roxette.Respect

Be well

[ 09. July 2008, 07:17: Message edited by: bandit ]

bandit
Ace Rewinder
Member # 6296

Member Rated:
Anyway,i would also like to put in a few German tunes important to me as well.Anyone remember these?

Scorpions

Sandra

Freiheit

Take care

[ 09. July 2008, 06:52: Message edited by: bandit ]

Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
Love to hear more Euro 80's tunes, I was listening to Freur's Doot Doot the other day and wonder if they have any other good stuff? I also have some stuff from a Danish band called Sort Sol, but their albums are so hard find.
deathbystereo80
Rewind Guru
Member # 2005

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for deathbystereo80   Email deathbystereo80   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bandit, sure I remember those! [Smile]
And I still love them.

Here's another one from Germany that immediately takes me back to school dances back in the 80s - Angel 07 by Hubert Kah:
http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=olJO8HuZ-UQ

Does anybody remember this French song from 1988? France Gall - Ella, elle l'a
http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=bQkB-WWzsbg
This was an hommage to Ella Fitzgerald. (some idiot thought it would be a good idea to cover this song recently, though [Mad] )

Posts: 562 | From: Santa Carla | Registered: Oct 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deathbystereo80
Rewind Guru
Member # 2005

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for deathbystereo80   Email deathbystereo80   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This one I listened to over and over again when I was really really heartbroken for the first time (at age 13 [Wink] )

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=BcWfpPgeAP4

Posts: 562 | From: Santa Carla | Registered: Oct 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bandit
Ace Rewinder
Member # 6296

Member Rated:
Thanks for sharing deathbystereo80 [Smile] All new to me,but well worth to looking closer into.

Thanks

Be well.

80'sRocked

Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
Great stuff guys! I haven't heard those songs in years. Except The Scorpions. I have tons of their songs.
Remember this one:
http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=zN3itLN57R4
http://youtube.com/watch?v=14IRDDnEPR4
Both versions are great.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home