iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » VH-1's 100 Greatest Songs of the 80's

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: VH-1's 100 Greatest Songs of the 80's
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was watching parts of it tonight. I like when they show the artists who sang the song...and what they are doing now. I just can never stand the commentators on them...half the time you wonder if they have even heard the song or if someone told them what to say, or if someone showed them the video for the first time and then said comment on that.

Bonnie Tyler is addicted to Botox. And the guy from the Flock of Seagulls lives in Key West, and hates to sing "I Ran".

I just never understand how come they could sing 1 or 2 good songs...then never have another hit ever again. Over a 20-25 years span..you'd think you might be able to come up with something new.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I DVR'ed the whole series but I haven't watched it yet...
Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
records1black
Master Rewinder
Member # 7105

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for records1black   Author's Homepage   Email records1black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love a flock of seagulls thier ace. i love thier song 'I ran' and I also like thier song 'Nightmares', which I have always found extreamly haunting.
Posts: 180 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, everyone bags on FLOCK OF SEAGULLS for being a "One Hit WOnder" but what about Wishing? Space Age Love Song? Telecommunications? I love all those songs (and I Ran too)

I think we talked about this special on here when it first aired. I said it then and I'll say it again - Living On A Prayer is a good song but it does not deserve the # 1 spot. In Metal alone I think Pour Some Sugar On Me by DEF LEPPARD and You Shook Me All Night Long by AC-DC are much more important '80s songs. And -Metal aside- what about MICHAEL JACKSON???? Does everyone forget how huge Beat It and Billie Jean and Thriller were????

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I LOVE Space Age Love song, that is their best song...in my opinion.

Your right Mamamia...I honestly thought Beat it would be the top song...because it really was the best video of that time period...I think because of all the weirdness with Michael Jackson now...I think people forget how huge he was in the 80's. I hate to admit it...but I LOVED him in the 80's. I loved the song...
Human Nature...I went nuts when that song played on the radio.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Part of ISIS' post:
quote:
...I just never understand how come they could sing 1 or 2 good songs...then never have another hit ever again. Over a 20-25 years span..you'd think you might be able to come up with something new.
Even if they came up with "something new", it still doesn't guarantee that it will be a hit! The success of a song is sometimes accidental. It takes some luck or the right kind of intangibles (which is not always controlled by the singer/band) to make for a hit song.

As for that guy in Flock Of Seagulls now hating to sing that "I Ran" song...I can understand it. Because he probably gets tired of singing it all the time, and it probably reminds him that he should've had more hit singles. Bittersweet.

At least it is better than that Vanilla Ice guy, who can never live down that mega-hit "Ice Ice Baby" song, and always complained that his life was never the same after that!

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have always preferred Beat It to Billie Jean...but Billie Jean was probably the biggest hit...and my God, remember the video? That was HUGE!
Billie Jean came on in the car the other day and me, my husband and my nine year old daughter were all dancing in our seats and singing along: Even my 9 year old knew the song!
Michael jackson was HUGE in ways not a lot of people aside from ELVIS and THE BEATLES were huge. If MICHAEL JACSON had asked me to marry him when THRILLER came out (when he looked "normal" and I was 11!) I definately would have said "Yes"! Wow- was he cute in the THRILLER days? But then he went Plastic Surgery Crazy (and other sorts of "crazy" too!) and nbow no one wants toa dmit they used to like him! Well, i admit it and so does my 9 year old!

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Contains 0.2% of Rewind Riboflavin
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ISIS:
I loved the song...
Human Nature...I went nuts when that song played on the radio.

I totally adore that song Isis! The only problem I have with it – and I just recently discovered this – is when you hear it through headphones, there’s this irritating sound throughout most of the song, kinda like an ice cream car passing. It’s really annoying once you focus on it.
I have no problem admitting that I was a HUGE fan of Michael Jackson around the time Thriller came out. It didn’t last long though. For some reason my fascination for the man was already over by the time Bad came out.

Oh and by the way, I always prefered Billie Jean over Beat It. That goes for the song as well as the video.

Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
80'sRocked

Play it Loud, Play it Proud
Member # 6979

101 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for 80'sRocked   Email 80'sRocked   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always liked "The Way You Make Me Feel." Not just because the woman in the video is so HOT!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sEU9Q8NlOiY

Posts: 3614 | From: Caught Somewhere in Time.... | Registered: May 2008 | Site Updates: 101  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Contains 0.2% of Rewind Riboflavin
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I couldn’t agree more…

From BBC News:

Billie Jean voted the greatest dance record of all time

Michael Jackson's song Billie Jean has been voted the greatest dance record of all time by BBC Radio 2 listeners.

Written by Jackson, and co-produced by Quincy Jones, the track won two Grammy awards and went to the top of the UK charts in 1983.

Donna Summer's I Feel Love, which topped the UK charts in 1977, took second place in the music poll.

In third place was soul legend James Brown with Get Up (I Feel Like Being A) Sex Machine.

Rhythim Is Rhythim's 1987 house track Strings Of Life featured at at number four, followed by Alison Limerick's Where Love Lives.

The poll, revealed in a three-part series presented by Zoe Ball, was part of a Radio 2 dance music season.

"I'm delighted that Billie Jean has been voted the greatest dance record ever made," said Ball.

"This is Jackson at his best. This track is way up there for me - Jacko's rendition of it at the Motown 25th anniversary show has got to be one of the great live performances of all time.

"The bassline is awesome, the production is killer. It's just perfect."

'Sonic personality'

The beginning of Jackson's Billie Jean is instantly recognisable because of the first few drum beats in the introduction.

Sound engineer Bruce Swedien said Jackson asked for the song to have "the greatest sonic personality that you can possibly put on a track - starting with the drums".

A panel of music experts, including DJs Trevor Nelson and Danny Rampling, drew up a shortlist of 20 records, which were then voted for by listeners online.

The songs, dated from 1966 to 2001, were selected for their "musical merit, and importance in the narrative of UK dance music".

TOP 10 DANCE RECORDS
1. Billie Jean
- Michael Jackson (1983)
2. I Feel Love
- Donna Summer (1977)
3. Get Up (I Feel Like Being A) Sex Machine
- James Brown (1970)
4. Strings Of Life
- Rhythim Is Rhythim (1987)
5. Where Love Lives
- Alison Limerick (1994)
6. Keep On Movin'
- Soul II Soul (1989)
7. Can You Feel It
- Fingers Inc. (1988)
8. Big Fun
-Inner City (1988)
9. Theme From S'Express
- S'Express (1988)
10. Key To My Happiness
- The Charades (1966)

Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home