iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » The One Thing-INXS

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The One Thing-INXS
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been looking up videos of songs I love...on youtube....and I haven't seen any of these videos ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Arr2x9VGDX4

these guys look awesome in this video.

I miss the Glamour of the 80's, and how everyone looked so "made up" ...just to sit around eating dinner...nobody puts that kind of effort anymore in to their appearance. I know this is a video....but I use to dress like those girls in the videos...and I wasn't going anywhere but to dinner or to the movies or out with friends.

I just don't see people making the effort that they use to.... [Frown]

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdocster McFly you Irish bug

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is one of the most popular videos from this band. I've seen it a bunch of times. it's good isn't it? I guess you didn't watch that much Mtv did ya? [Wink]

you know, they don't even show videos anymore... They have 4 channels and none of them hardly ever show videos anymore. When they do, it's usually rap.

I miss the old Mtv...

Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only place to get videos on a consistent basis is VH1 Classic.

The One Thing was my first introduction to INXS. Liked the song the first time I heard it and it's still one of my absolute favourites by the band to this day.

Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use to think this song was by Duran Duran.

I actually watched nothing but MTV in 1987.

When I got my 1st apartment ...me and my roommates use to stay up all night watching MTV...but you know what...they played so many videos all the time....that I must have missed it.

I also stayed up every friday night to watch Friday Night Videos in the 80's.

I miss watching videos!

I can not stand MTV now, it is such garbage. There really aren't any cool videos anymore, and the music stinks...so Sam is right about the VH1-Classics. But, I have watched it at times, and I see them repeating alot of the same stuff too.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Author's Homepage   Email jdocster McFly you Irish bug   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have recorded a bunch of 80s videos on Mtv. They show blocks of them (2 hour, 5 hour) on Saturday and Sunday mornings. You should check it out. For those Heavy Metal fans, they show a bunch of hour long videos of these too. I think it's VH1 though. I love them all...

Rock on... [Big Grin]

Posts: 2729 | From: Kansas City, MO "At the Enchantment Under the Sea Dance" | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 9  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
records1black
Master Rewinder
Member # 7105

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for records1black   Author's Homepage   Email records1black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I prefer 'Kiss the dirt,' by INXS. I know what you mean about music now. I was born in 1983 so I like some 90's music but really the 80's made some fantastic stuff. The music vids were like mini movies in a way - in particular Duran Durans 'wild boys'(1985) where Simon LeBon nearly died beacuse the wheel he was attached to stopped when he was under the water!
Posts: 180 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
INXS had some great videos, the One thing had this great decadence to it exclusive to the 80's. I think even some of the bands girlfriends are dinner guests. I picked up the INXS autobiog a few years ago and is a great read, especially the touring stories. I love the song Don't Change, I love the intro, even the kind of goofy video where they are in the airplane hangar.

As for seeing old videos, I'm lucky because this year I got this channel called much more retro and it shows old videos 24/7, so every now and then some real gems will pop up. I just have to learn how to DVD record them.

Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
records1black
Master Rewinder
Member # 7105

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for records1black   Author's Homepage   Email records1black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well said Riptide!
Posts: 180 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Riptide:
INXS had some great videos, the One thing had this great decadence to it exclusive to the 80's. I think even some of the bands girlfriends are dinner guests. I picked up the INXS autobiog a few years ago and is a great read, especially the touring stories. I love the song Don't Change, I love the intro, even the kind of goofy video where they are in the airplane hangar.

As for seeing old videos, I'm lucky because this year I got this channel called much more retro and it shows old videos 24/7, so every now and then some real gems will pop up. I just have to learn how to DVD record them.

Agreed...

So, the channel is called "much more retro"? Do you have cable or satellite? Oh yeah, are you in the USA or Europe?

- Jdoc [Wink]

records1black
Master Rewinder
Member # 7105

Member Rated:
I am in Europe, England so I don't know if I can get acsess to that show?? Sept if its on the internet??? Thier vids were intresting tho. I love U-tube as you can watch almost anything you want. They were a good band and its a shame Mick had to commit suicide. [Confused]
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JDOC, muchmore retro is a canadian channel, so you might have to see if you can access it from your subscriber, there is no american equivalent of the 24/7 retro channel? If there isn't I'm surprised.

One of my biggest concert regrets was not seeing INXS for the last time when they played Montreal in 97 on their comeback Elegantly Wasted tour. I was supposed to go with someone but they cancelled, so not wanting to go alone I passed, soon after Michael took his life, still bummed about that.

Youtube has given a lot of life to video watchers over the past few years, there is some stuff I have found on there I had no idea existed, stuff like obscure 80's artists like Comsat Angels, Classix Nouveau, etc.

Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Member # 5752

9 Updates!

Member Rated:
Thanks for the info Riptide!

- Jdoc

records1black
Master Rewinder
Member # 7105

Member Rated:
I love Classix Nouveau and a group called Fashion to which are similar to them. I like alot of New wave stuff and New Romantic, infact most genres from the decade.

YouTube really helps muisc lovers as it throws up loads of videos of similar artists. [Cool]

Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
I really like the more obscure artists too like the aforementioned Fashion, Visage had some real interesting videos too. Huge fan of the early OMD albums, especially Organisation and Architecture and Morality. I also like forgotten stuff like Danse Society and darker bands. The 4AD label bands are real great as well.
TKO
Contains 0.2% of Rewind Riboflavin
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Riptide:
I also like forgotten stuff like Danse Society and darker bands.

I really like the typical sound of Danse Society, but only know two songs by them: Heaven Is Waiting and Wake Up.
Any other recommendations by this band, Riptide?

Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
records1black
Master Rewinder
Member # 7105

Member Rated:
Yer I like Visage. TKO you should go to YouTube and play some Dance Society videos and it will provide videos of all thier other songs I am sure. Also it will provide artists who are similar to the group for you to look at. My fav songs by Fashion is 'you only left your picture' and 'Move on.' Alot of 'good stuff' is forgotten and people tend to stick to popular music from the deacde beacuse the artists are easier to remember I suppose.
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
TKO, the best Danse Society is the debut called Seduction, you can find a best of called Seduction(the Society collection) on Cd. The whole cd is great like tunes such as Clock, ambition, We're so happy, danse/move. There are also other great bands of the era in a similar vein such as Sad Lovers and Giants, Chameleons, Red lorry Yellow Lorry, Strange Boutique, the Wake.

As for Fashion, I only know one song of theirs being Love Shadow. Would like to hear more.

TKO
Contains 0.2% of Rewind Riboflavin
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I checked on YouTube. But there isn’t very much to be found on Danse Society. ‘Hold On’ is another catchy song that I liked.

I will try to get a hold of their best of CD. Thanks for the advice guys.

Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
TKO, if you have a record player, check out the used bins for DS vinyl. I found a bunch of their stuff relatively cheap.
records1black
Master Rewinder
Member # 7105

Member Rated:
Riptide if you like Fashion you can get a best of CD which I have a copy of called ' The Height of Fashion.'

Your welcome TKO I thought YouTube would have more for you. Amazon will probably have a copy of that CD either UK or America. It depends on which country they were most popular in. I would say the UK.

I love that song 'love Sahadow' and it is on that CD I have. There is a Video for 'Move on' which you might like Riptide on Youtube. It is a good song. Fashion have intresting musical arrangments and I love the sound of Synths in general.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home