iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Top 20 Albums of the 1980's - #9

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Top 20 Albums of the 1980's - #9
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

What were we thinking????

#9 - Brothers in Arms - Dire Straits

Album Sales - 12,900,000

Release Date - May 1985

Number Ones - Money for Nothing

Track listing -

1) So Far Away
2) Money For Nothing
3) Walk Of Life
4) Your Latest Trick
5) Why Worry
6) Ride Across The River
7) The Man's Too Strong
8) One World
9) Brothers In Arms

My Opinion:

Let me get this straight... a cartoon video sold 13 million albums??? This seems impossible. It's not a great album, none of these songs are close to great. Walk of life is good at best, and So Far Away is long and drawn out. I can't say this album is good. It's against my moral upbringing. If Sultans of Swing were on... that's a different story.

This album has no business in the top 10.

My Rating: 4 - Go get someone else to install color TV's.

Need to own - Just buy the greatest hits. This album is terrible.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have this CD for the simple fact that I love "So Far Away." The rest, well, like you said, Devo, aren't that great.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think they were just ready to peak commercially when they released Brothers In Arms. I think 'Money For Nothing' still holds up pretty well today, but back in the day it just seemed custom built to be a mega hit with that whole "I want my MTV" being sung by Sting, and the rock guitar intro. They were a highly credible group at the time, and that song was totally commercial. It worked. Personally, I always hated the animated section of the video, I much preferred the... glowing headbands.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home