iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Top 20 Albums of the 1980's - #16

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Top 20 Albums of the 1980's - #16
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Madonna was the first woman that stood by herself that guys were able to like listening to. She sang good songs and put out albums people actually wanted.

So it's with that I give you:

#16 - Like a Virgin

Album Sales - 10,900,000
Released Nov. 1984

Number one - Like a Virgin

track listing

1) Material Girl
2) Angel
3) Like a Virgin
4) Over and Over
5) Love Don't Live Here Anymore
6) Dress You Up
7) Shoo-Bee-Doo
8) Pretender
9) Stay

Here's thing, for as good as I think this album is. There are certain albums on the top 100 that are far better. I don't think that because an album has sold more copies it necessarily gets a better rating. The strength of the first side makes it at least an automatic 7. Dress you up makes it a 7.5, but oddly I will not go any higher than that. Material Girl ranks to me as one of the best first songs on any album ever. If I was John Cusack in High Fidelity, I probably would have included it on my list of best side one, track one songs.

The best things about the song "Like a Virgin" were the performance at the Video Music Awards in 84, and the fact that Weird Al was able to make, "Like a Surgeon".

My final reason for a lower ranking is the fact that the album itself doesn't stand alone well against her other ones. It's sort of my U2 Theory.

(The U2 theory - Just because they are most known for the Joshua Tree, doesn't make that the best album they have.)

Rating: 7.5

Need to own: Not really, the Immaculate Collection makes this a totally unnecessary album to have in 2007.

We are DEVO

[ 20. May 2007, 05:06: Message edited by: Devolution ]

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah... but the Immaculate Collection doesn't have the singles 'Dress You Up' and 'Angel'. For someone who actually wants all the hits, this album is a must.

Personally, I think this is the best of Madonna's first three albums. 'True Blue' was more polished, but it was also even more calculating (and that's saying something). Plus True Blue was a guaranteed hit before it was released because Madonna was a megastar at that point. But Like A Virgin came as a very pleasant surprise, especially coming from someone who'd already been written off as a fad and a poor Cyndi Lauper clone.

[ 20. May 2007, 13:18: Message edited by: logan5 ]

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home