iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » kinks

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: kinks
Colt 45
Master Rewinder
Member # 4940

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Colt 45   Email Colt 45   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
does anybody rembr a band called the kinks from the 80 s - thy had some ok tunes so much half the time I would listen to them sometimes if i ewas drinking drinkon but not in a heavy mdal music mood insted of loike van haln or Def Leoprd I would play the Kinks if I wanted to just chill.
Posts: 124 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, Kinks? Like the great british group that spanned the 60's,70's, 80's, 90's Kinks? Like Come Dancing Kinks? A lot of people remember them.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THE KINKS gfo further back than the 80s....but a lot of people who like 80s music arent aware that some of the songs they like were originally KINKS songs.
For examples, VAN HALEN did versions of YOU REALLY GOT ME and WHERE HAVE ALL THE GOOD TIMES GONE and THE PRETENDERS did a cover of STOP YOUR SOBBING.
Other popular KINKS songs are
ALL DAY AND ALL OF THE NIGHT
LOLA
APE MAN
IN THE SUMMERTIME
SO TIRED OF WAITING FOR YOU
FATHER CHRISTMAS
COME DANCING

I love THE KINKS and listen to their Greatest Hits every so often.

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Kinks were so good, but they were in the shadow of the Beatles, Stones and Who, and they weren't as big in the US as the UK. Waterloo Sunset was amazing. Green Day's Warning song sounds a lot like the Kink's Picture Book. Another great band that was good in the 70's was Slade, but didn't make a dent in the US.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joker
Master Rewinder
Member # 3840

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for joker   Email joker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i love this band i wished thay wood do a reunion tour so i could see them live
Posts: 307 | Registered: Feb 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Destroyer is one of my all time favorite songs.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Colt 45
Master Rewinder
Member # 4940

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Colt 45   Email Colt 45   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorit was 'Rally on a saturday'.
Posts: 124 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God! I cant belive I forgot to put down DESTROYER and SUPERMAN as KINKS songs I like! Good stuff, good stuff.

By the way, mentioning SLADE made me think of QUIET RIOT covering a lot of Slade songs. A lot of people don't know that stuff like Mama Weer All Crazee Now was done by SLADE.

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
I like Apeman too, the whole album of Green Preservation society is amazing. Another group from that time I love is the Creation. Making time and How does it Feel wer so cool.

Slade were an amazing band, I was checking stuff of them on Youtube, and they were quite explosive. I think Enuff Z'nuff covered Slade too, Goodbye tuh Jane I believe. The Scorpions did Skweeze me, pleese me also. Funny, aside from their song Mental Health, Quiet Riot pretty much owed their whole career to Slade.

Capt Pugwash
Rewind Curious
Member # 5458

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Capt Pugwash   Email Capt Pugwash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kinks....

Have to say the best band I ever saw live... think it was 94.... last UK tour...

Ray did an acoustic set first.... Then a legendary lesson in rock n roll.... Dave Davies is soooooooooooooo underated....

The bit that stood out was when someone shouted out "Death Of A Clown"... Ray looked at Dave and said something like... what do you think?... Dave just walked up to the Mike and let rip... stunning.....

It is such a shame that Dave had such a tragic accident and will probably never be the same again... although there was talk of a full Kinks reunion in last year I think, but nothing came of it....

"The Kinks were so good, but they were in the shadow of the Beatles, Stones and Who.."... did you know that Mike Avory briefly played for the Rolling Stones?.... but didn't want a fulltime job!!!...

Anyway back to the 80's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Earth Angel
Angel of the Rewind
Member # 3301

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Earth Angel   Email Earth Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The kinks were abusive to my mum when she was a teenager...she's never liked em since. I however think despite them being idiots...they have done some briliiant songs X
Posts: 981 | From: If they dont kiss, they dont fall in love | Registered: Sep 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
I guess the Davies brothers were the blueprint for the musical dysfunction/sibling thing that Oasis is. Both brothers are kind of testy personalities, hard to believe that Ray married another testy singer in Chrissie Hynde in the 80's.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home