iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Any one remember any one hit wonders for the 80's?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Any one remember any one hit wonders for the 80's?
Dorothy
Senior Rewinder
Member # 4879

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Dorothy   Author's Homepage   Email Dorothy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are the ones i can remember

Oh Mickey your so fine (Toni)

Come on Ellen (Dixie Midnight Runners)

Safty Dance (Taco)

Amadas (Falco)

Don't you forget about me (Simple Minds)

Weird science

Boom Boom Boom Lets go back to my room

I wanna Be a cowboy and you cn be my cow girl

and the beat goes on...

i seem to be forgetting alot of one hit wonders. Help me [Cool]

Posts: 82 | From: Easton Pa | Registered: Jul 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Safety Dance is from Men Without Hats

Rock me Amadeus is falco.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dorothy
Senior Rewinder
Member # 4879

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Dorothy   Author's Homepage   Email Dorothy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So i made a Boo Boo... I made the wrong misteak for Safty Dance...
Posts: 82 | From: Easton Pa | Registered: Jul 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
steak is yummy
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dorothy
Senior Rewinder
Member # 4879

Member Rated:
why is it i get the feeling this place may not work out for me i come in just to rewind and i get nothing but... if i want this i will go to my husband and children grrrrrrrrrrr. i can be nice as well as nasty.
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But please don't be nasty... anyone.
Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boom Boom Boom is by Paul Lekakis
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wanna be a cowboy is by Boys Dont Cry

Taco's hit was a cover of Puttin On The Ritz

* Actually, even though people call Falco a "one hit wonder" he did have other known songs aside from Rock me Amadeus: Der Komissar and Vienna Calling are two of his lesser known hits (And der Komissar was covered by another great 80s wonder After The Fire!)

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GoldTransAM
Master Rewinder
Member # 2973

13 Updates!

- posted      Profile for GoldTransAM         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
VH-1 did a entire show about one hit wonders with William Shatner hosting.
Posts: 191 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jul 2004 | Site Updates: 13  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw that one.
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dorothy
Senior Rewinder
Member # 4879

Member Rated:
I WON'T BE NASTY AND FOR THE PERSON WHO TOLD ME WHO SING bOOM bOOM bOOM now i will look for that song on the internet. that song drove my mom nuts also thank for telling me about Falco and I wanna be a Cowboy is another song that drove my mom insane.. P.S paul I won't fight i am not going to I came here to Rewind and remember my good times. I just am upset that some people seem mean... I like people upfront but being i am new at leasted leave me get to no the group first before they have things un-nice to say.. Maybe i am taking them wrong. But at least give me a month or so here to get to know the group...
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

No one is really being all that nasty, but we will correct you so if you are looking for music or movies you will have that appropriate names and artists.

WE are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PackardWalsh
Rewind Curious
Member # 4875

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for PackardWalsh   Email PackardWalsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Simple Minds are hardly one hit wonders lol: they're a key early 80s New Wave band, who then went mainstream in the mid 80s before eventually imploding after frontman Jim Kerr began singing about political issues in a faux Irish accent!

I'll nominate DEVICE - HAMGING ON A HEART ATTACK for this thread, although, again, not strictly a one hit wonder, as I think the track WHO SAYS also charted, briefly.
They put out a now hard to find (but absolutely excellent), album in a Pop/AOR style circa 1986 and then called it a day.

Posts: 6 | From: Cambridge, England | Registered: Jul 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PackardWalsh
Rewind Curious
Member # 4875

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for PackardWalsh   Email PackardWalsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Argh, that should be HanNging On A Heart Attack! Whoops

The video for it is great BTW, mmmm, Holly Knight...

Posts: 6 | From: Cambridge, England | Registered: Jul 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
Weird science is by OINGO BOINGO......but I think Dead Man's Party was a hit for them as well.

Dont know who sang The Beat Goes On. I like that one. (Why did I think it was a '70s song???)

Yeah, that Shatner hosted special was goooood!

mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
DOROTHY: If you need someone to tell you the artists who did the 70s and 80s hits.........I'm the one!
Duckie Dale Winton
Master Rewinder
Member # 3419

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Duckie Dale Winton   Author's Homepage   Email Duckie Dale Winton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to agree that Simple Minds were hardly one hit wonders....and neither were Dexys Midnight Runners! [Confused]
Posts: 242 | From: Northampton, England | Registered: Oct 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Dead Man's Party" was the song Oingo Boingo was playing live at the party in Back to School.......
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Duckie, Dexys Midnight Runners were one hit wonders stateside
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The criteria for One Hit Wonders does vary depending on whether you are from the UK or the US. In the UK, it tends to mean 'someone who has only had one hit'. Over stateside, it means 'someone who has only had one hit that I have heard or can remember...'

Many of our most memorable artists never really made it over in the US - Dexy's and Simple Minds included. We should just feel sorry for them missing out on so much great music..... [Razz]

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
AND THE BEAT GOES ON...........THE WHISPERS

(Had to do some research to find THAT one!)

Alien Angel
Rewind Curious
Member # 4909

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Alien Angel   Email Alien Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont see In a Big Country by Big Country on your list. Thats a great song. At least I think that was their only hit. If I'm wrong please tell me.
Posts: 4 | From: My mind | Registered: Aug 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alex In Wonderland
Master Rewinder
Member # 4912

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Alex In Wonderland   Email Alex In Wonderland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
P.S It's Paul,

First time reader here...

But I was under the impression that Don't You Forget About Me was the track that broke Simple Minds in the US in a big way - didn't they start doing stadium gigs ala Depeche Mode?

Posts: 171 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Aug 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home