iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » "80s-like" songs from the early '90s.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "80s-like" songs from the early '90s.
Marty McFly
Master Rewinder
Member # 4403

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Marty McFly   Email Marty McFly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The music scene was transitional for a few years, but in the most extended sense, there were songs as late as 1994 that had a vague '80s element to them, albeit in updated form. You didn't really have to be a "90s music" fan to enjoy 'em either.

Such as:

How Do You Talk to an Angel - The Heights
To Be With You - Mr. Big
What Becomes of the Brokenhearted - Paul Young
Always the Last to Know - Del Amitri
Everyday - Phil Collins
It Hit Me Like a Hammer - Huey Lewis
King Of Wishful Thinking - Go West
Straight to Your Heart - Bad English

Posts: 136 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crap, I lost my post. Let me try this again.

I wish I could share your sentiment, but to me, the copyright date tells the story. When I see 1990 or 1991 as the copyright date, that cadges it for me. The numbers tell the story more than the sound ever could.

Also, to me, for example, a song like "To Be With You" isn't an 80s-sounding song at all. If anything, it seems more like a 70s throwback, with an acoustic Eagles feeling to it.

That's just my view, though.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marty McFly
Master Rewinder
Member # 4403

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Marty McFly   Email Marty McFly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rocksteadyflamethrower:
Crap, I lost my post. Let me try this again.

I wish I could share your sentiment, but to me, the copyright date tells the story. When I see 1990 or 1991 as the copyright date, that cadges it for me. The numbers tell the story more than the sound ever could.

Also, to me, for example, a song like "To Be With You" isn't an 80s-sounding song at all. If anything, it seems more like a 70s throwback, with an acoustic Eagles feeling to it.

That's just my view, though.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

That's cool, John - I always like to get different views since it makes me see things in a way I otherwise might not have. [Smile]

I sort of see what you mean. It's more an accoustic power ballad (I guess it just seems "80s" to me because it was by a hair metal band, LOL).

Overall, I think it depends on the artist. For instance, new or breakout bands in 1990 or '91 sound relatively Nineties (Red Hot Chili Peppers, even Vanilla Ice! LOL [Wink] ), probably from paying closer attention to developing trends. But bands who had already been out for awhile (and could afford to "play it safe") seemed to be doing 80s styled songs through 1992, and in a vague way, even up to '94.

They definitely weren't 1984 Duran Duran-sounding, maybe more refined 1989-sounding, if you know what I mean.

P.S. I HATE losing posts, so I know how that is! [Razz]

Posts: 136 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One genre where the music changed very quickly heading into the 90's was dance music. In 1989, popular dance music was by the likes of Stock Aitken and Waterman, or less mainstream acts like S Express. In 1990 dance music exploded with Black Box (Ride on time, Everybody, Fantasy), Soul 2 Soul (Back to life), Guru Josh (Infinity), Technotronic (Pump up the jam, Get up, This beat is Technotronic) and many many more making big impacts on the charts.

In the early 90s dance music was much more popular than grunge here in Oz, in fact Pearl Jam and Nirvana only had one Top 10 hit each (Pearl Jam's "Alive" hit #10, while Nirvana's "Smells like teen spirit" made #7 - in fact Weird Al Yankovichs parody "Smells like Nirvana" was a bigger hit!)

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anything that came from Big Hair bands of the early 90s still always makes me think 80s. I can't specifically think of any at the moment.
Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Mouse Avenger
Rewind Jedi
Member # 4406

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Mouse Avenger   Author's Homepage   Email The Mouse Avenger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
King Of Wishful Thinking...& that does it for me! My mind is blank right now, so I can't think of anymore...^^;;
Posts: 1057 | From: With my mouse pals on Baker Street | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hordak
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1772

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Hordak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Winger's "Battle Stations", from the Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey soundtrack, sounded like textbook 80s poodle rock. That and Chesney Hawkes' "The One And Only" are the most obvious for me; I LOVE these two songs! Cheesy, oh so cheesy, yet so good!!

Also "Wild Women Do" by Natalie Cole (another Pretty Woman).

Posts: 97 | From: Midlands, UK | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love how in 80's movies set in the future assumed that hair metal was going to be the predominant form of music. Terminator 2 is probably the biggest example of this, but I guess because they had Guns'n'Roses on the soundtrack they had to go that way.
Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pettyfan
Livin' next door to the Klopeks
Member # 2260

- posted      Profile for pettyfan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ohmygosh!!! I loved "The One and Only." I will watch the beginning of Doc Hollywood every time it's on just to hear that song!! I would love to find it on CD. And I always liked "Everyday" by Phil Collins as well.
Posts: 2902 | From: Home Sweet Home | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That song by Whitetown, something called Your Woman was a bit of a throwback for me. It sounded like some sort of song by Taco or something. I liked some of Richard Marx's 90's songs like Hazard too that kept that 80's spirit.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brandon777
Master Rewinder
Member # 4014

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Brandon777     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One song from the 90's that seems like an 80's song is "Life Is A Highway". It seems like a song I would have had on a 45 record when I was a kid. Another 80's like song was "Big Bang Baby" from STP. That video was straight up early 80's.
Posts: 239 | From: North Carolina | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home