iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Where did all the men go??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Where did all the men go??
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was listening to the radio in my car waiting for my son to get out of school, and the song "Hurts So Good" was playing by John Cougar...and I was thinking how men like him, and Bruce Springteen were manly men, who young boys looked up to...there were lots of men singers...Hall & Oats, Eddie Money, Rick Springfield, Bryan Adams...and then all the guys in the bands like REO, Foreigner, Journey, Def Leppard, there were tons of them that really were good, but they really attracted women to them. So they had appeal to both men and women. I don't know who young boys listen to today...I really don't..I am not trying to be knocking today's music...I just keep wondering what happened to men singers...I wondered that when I was watching American Idol, because Elliot is a very laid back guy, he's not some creepy looking dude screaming his head off, but he's a nice guy, and he actually sings songs that require actual singing...and then with Taylor it is the same thing, he's cute...and he dresses real nice...and it is almost like he stepped out of a different time period, because if you hold those 2 guys up to the type of music being played today...where exactly would they fit in?? They wouldn't, only Chris fits in with today's style of music. And that is what younger people are listening too...I think Elliot and Taylor appeal to my age group of people and older, who have been dying to hear new music that is good...my age group of people aren't listening to Eminem and Kayne West and 50 Cent...and those guys actually seem out dated already-like they are worn out...but yet, who's actually a big name singer right now?? When I look back through the 70's and 80's, and I find songs that I forgot about...because there was so MUCH music back then, that it was easy to miss songs...you don't miss anything today-if the song is even semi decent it gets played constantly...but even those songs don't have the longevity. The Photograph song-by Nickleback wasn't that long ago, but now when I hear it I think...that song wasn't that great, it sounded ok when I first heard it, but after I have heard it now over and over...I change the station looking for Journey. When I first heard the song : Lovin, Touchin and Squeezin by Journey...I loved it, and I never got sick of it, and to this day if I hear that song on the radio I crank it up. I don't think todays stuff will ever hold up down the road, because it barely holds up for a few months now.
I think the artists of today have been squeezed for every drop of the tiny bit of talent they ever might have had, to the point where they are dried up. Who really has lasted that has come out in the past 10 years?

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, everybody has a different definition of manliness. What exactly is a man? I'm one myself and even I don't know what it means.

I can't speak up about modern music made by men (try saying that 3 times fast), but that's because I'm more into female singers (Kathleen "Bird" York and Pink are two of my favorites right now).

Everybody sees something different when they look in the mirror.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marty McFly
Master Rewinder
Member # 4403

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Marty McFly   Email Marty McFly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those guys/bands are some of my alltime faves. [Smile] It's not really fair to compare any music to them 'cause none is gonna seem as good in comparison, LOL!

BTW, I think there's good songs today, but it's more "here and there" individual songs that I like, as opposed to full albums or the majority of stuff. R&B, rap and generally "urban" music just has had such a deathgrip on the pop charts, especially since 1999, that it kinda overshadows the better stuff.

Have you heard "Bad Day" by Daniel Powter? That's probably my favorite '06 pop song so far - sort of a middle tempo ballad. It probably sounds more '90s just without the angst.

Posts: 136 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like John, I prefer female singers. Pink, Madonna, Kylie, Sheryl Crow, Cyndi Lauper, Suzanne Vega, Jill Sobule, Michelle Branch, Casey Donovan, Annie Lennox, Alison Moyet... al my favorite singers.

There are few male singers that I'll buy albums from. Perhaps Robbie Williams. I've been sitting here a few minutes trying to think of other male singers I really like, not counting bands with male lead singers, and thats all I can come up with.

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't that a bummer that there are no solo male singers any more that young guys like...nobody is as cool as Bruce Springsteen and Billy Idol and even Billy Joel and Elton John were great solo artists.

Marty-I have heard Bad Day-and I liked it when I first heard it, but they over kill stuff now....the songs are ok...they are nothing spectacular...but because there is nothing else- then they over play it, and make an 0K thing an annoying thing.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
I was thinking of more men singers from the 70's and 80's:

Andy Gibb
The Bee Gees
Kenny Loggins
Dan Folgelberg
Don Henley
Tom Petty
Prince
Michael McDonald
Joe C0cker
George Michael
Phil Collins

There were so many....but like I said...start naming current male solo artists that most people recognize their name...who currently do young people have to go see in concert?? That's what I am talking about...there's absolutely nobody. That is so sad.

Marty McFly
Master Rewinder
Member # 4403

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Marty McFly   Email Marty McFly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ISIS:
Marty-I have heard Bad Day-and I liked it when I first heard it, but they over kill stuff now....the songs are ok...they are nothing spectacular...but because there is nothing else- then they over play it, and make an 0K thing an annoying thing.

Yeah, that's true - I think they overplay popular songs in any era though. I remember the first time I was concious of being sick of songs as a kid was with stuff like "Shattered Dreams" and "Don't Worry Be Happy" back in '88 (plus, my dad played the latter to death too) - they were everywhere, LOL! But I love 'em now.

I'm currently finding myself starting to warm up more to songs from 2002 and '03 (i.e. "Drift Away" by Uncle Kracker, "Complicated" by Avril Lavigne) just because they're not played to death anymore. Plus, I wasn't "used to" them when they were brand new, whereas I now am, so I'm more receptive to it.

By 2009 I'm sure I'll be saying that about anything overplayed now.

Posts: 136 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home