iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Bros

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bros
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who loved Bros? For a short time in 1988 they were the biggest boy band on the planet. "When will I be famous", "Drop the boy" and my favorite "I owe you nothing" were all massive hits in Australia and England. Were they big in America? I'd be interested to find out.
Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saint_in_London
Master Rewinder
Member # 2575

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Saint_in_London   Email Saint_in_London   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to watch the American Top 10 here in the UK and Kasey Kasem would do a short piece at the end, of the biggest movers on the Billbroad Hot 100 and I remember Bros appearing on that once - with I Owe You Nothing. Also remember him pronouncing the the group name as Bro's!
Posts: 226 | From: London, England | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like them from what I've heard. "When Will I Be Famous?" is my personal favorite. It has a feel to it that gives you the sense that it could've been used in a late 80s teen movie.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chucky
Rewinder
Member # 4575

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Chucky   Email Chucky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Admittedly when i was younger i did like them, but i was always a big New Kids on the Block fan!
Posts: 36 | From: Swindon, UK | Registered: Feb 2006 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs Larusso
Senior Rewinder
Member # 4417

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mrs Larusso   Email Mrs Larusso   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OOOHHH!! I loved NKOTB too!! Right there with ya Chucky!!

Anyway...Bros....I always thought that Matt Goss had an amazing voice - seriously. 'Cat among the Pigeons' was awesome - and thier song 'Sister' was just wonderful - a tribute to thier sister who died...

Heres a bit of Bros trivia for ya..

The third Bros member...Craig....was engaged to which famous pop star?

Posts: 82 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh Ooh, I know that one.... Dannii Minogue!!!!
Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saint_in_London
Master Rewinder
Member # 2575

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Saint_in_London   Email Saint_in_London   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was either Mel or Kim from Mel & Kim. Don't remember which though, I think one of them is dead now?
Posts: 226 | From: London, England | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always thought they were more famous for how they looked more than their music. They never really made a dent in the american charts like contemporaries Johnny Hates Jazz or Breathe. I do remember getting their tape from someone and remember the song with the lyrics like chocolate in the box or something like that. There were a lot of other hyped brit boy bands back then like Wet Wet Wet and Brother Beyond.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It was either Mel or Kim from Mel & Kim. Don't remember which though, I think one of them is dead now?
It was Kim, Mel died.

Bros were from my town. My big sister was the same age as them and hung around with them a bit (before they became famous). They were an A-Z of what not to do when you become a successful teen pop group, and they had the biggest most rapid fall from grace of any 'top' group in British pop history (oddly, the second biggest fall was by 'Five Star', who's career just preceded theirs).

Craig is now the manager of a lady who calls herself 'Pink'.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs Larusso
Senior Rewinder
Member # 4417

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mrs Larusso   Email Mrs Larusso   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stitch:
Ooh Ooh, I know that one.... Dannii Minogue!!!!

Being from Australia, it doesn't surprise me that you know that stitch!!

But he was engaged to Kim Appelby too? WOW!! I didnt know that!! - and I didnt know he was Pinks manager either!! You learn something new everyday!

Posts: 82 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
I didn't know he engaged to Kim Appelby either. I thought I must have got the wrong answer!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home