iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » 'Bananarama' then & now

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 'Bananarama' then & now
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They’re back, well, two of them are: Sara & Keren scored a surprise, sleeper hit by breaking into the top 20 (Bananarama’s first in 17 years) with their song; ‘Move In My Direction’. I saw them on the bill with ‘Culture Club’ and Belinda Carlisle about five years ago, and they were pretty good, they did their string of hits which was excellent, but I never imagined they were entertaining the idea of making a serious comeback.

Looking at them today, I’d say Keren has definitly improved with age, Sera looks pretty much the same, they still sound and act as they did back in the day…but is that necessarily a good thing, or is it kinda sad and pathetic, like watching a has-been get drunk and pretend they’ve still got it? Watching the video, it did sort of seem like the latter. Siobhan went Goth, formed ‘Shakespeare’s Sister’ before going bananas (I presume being married to Dave Stewart had something to do with it), still, I liked her wide-eyed, manic performance in the video to ‘Stay’. Jacqueline O’ Sullivan (Siobhan’s replacement) never really got settled and fans didn’t seem to want to give her a chance (although by then, ‘Bananarama’ were clearly a spent force).

I’m of the opinion that once a helium-light, bubblegum band has made their millions, they ought to gracefully depart the scene and not inflict numerous comebacks upon an unsuspecting world (i.e. ‘Spice Girls’, who were a talentless 90s super-version of ‘Bananarama’ still insist on releasing solo singles to further torment music fans the world over).

Give it up, or carry on regardless? I like 'Bananarama', always have, always will and wish them all the best, but sometimes, I think they really ought to take their own advice:
Na, na, na, na, Na, na, na, na, Hey, hey, hey
Goodbye (Da, da, da, da, da)

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haven't heard much of the Nanans output the past ten years because a lot of their cd's are expensive imports. It's just hard to see them as a duo rather than a trio. Haven't heard the new single either, but I know what you mean about pop stars bowing out gracefully. I mean how are you supposed to compete with younger, currrent galactic new wave/dance groups like Goldfrapp and Ladytron? Samantha Fox just recently dropped a new cd as well, although I haven't heard it.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had no idea they released a new song. I'm going to have to track it down. In the early 90's, I really liked the song "Stay" by Shakespeare Sister. Wasn't one of the girls from Bananarama in this group? The video was very ahead of it's time with the whole goth look. Anyone remember it? I know they also did a few songs on the Rachel Papers soundtrack, which I love!

-

"You'd better hope and pray that you make it safe back to your own world..."-SS

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home