iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Oran "Juice" Jones

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Oran "Juice" Jones
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard a song this morning called "The Rain" by this guy. I have never heard of him or the song? Isn't that weird, I seem to keep coming across these songs from the 80s I don't know about. Not very fond of the song. It is from 1986. It also said that he had a hit duet called "How Do I Love Again" or "Live", went blank on it, with someone named Allison ???

Does anyone know anything about this musical artist?

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just remember that one song "I saw you (and him!) walking in the rain, you were holding hands and I'll never be the same"
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jessie the Sunflower Goddess:
I heard a song this morning called "The Rain" by this guy. I have never heard of him or the song? Isn't that weird, I seem to keep coming across these songs from the 80s I don't know about. Not very fond of the song. It is from 1986. It also said that he had a hit duet called "How Do I Love Again" or "Live", went blank on it, with someone named Allison ???

Does anyone know anything about this musical artist?

The song was called "How To Love Again" and his duet partner was Alyson Williams. The song was used in the movie "Less Than Zero".

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember Orange Juice Jones, The Rain is all I know from him. Love the spoken parts to the song, and some nice solid beats. The video is great as well, documenting his girlfriend's infedelities.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richie
Master Rewinder
Member # 3527

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Richie   Email Richie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my neverending search to find the song concerning Rain in one of my threads here, I was reminded of this song. I have NEVER liked it or him for that matter. Al B. Sure redid the song on his second CD and did a WAY better job than the original.
Posts: 248 | Registered: Nov 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Best ending of a song ever. "I was about to run up on you and pull a rambo. But instead I chilled."

How can you not like this song?

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Silly, rabbit, trix are for kids!"
Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"You without me's like a cornflake without the milk. It's my world and you're just a squirrel trying to get a nut!"

Great lyrics.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Illnero
Master Rewinder
Member # 4286

- posted      Profile for Illnero   Email Illnero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the greatest injustices of the world, IMO, was not using Oran "Juice" Jones in the movie High Fidelity. You watch enough movies, you start to think of what you'd do if you had to make the movie you're watching. And if given the chance, I'd use "The Rain" after Rob sees Charlie cheating on him.

Damn, I just remembered that I've got that from a flea market on vinyl! I'm gonna give that a listen right now!

Posts: 154 | From: between wash and spin | Registered: Aug 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is this guy up to now? He seems like he should of had other hits, I just have this one song. With his name, he sounds like he could be associated with the Dallas Cowboys.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
journey
Rewind Maestro
Member # 7316

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for journey   Email journey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or been one of the main characters in Breakin'.
Posts: 835 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I gotta get in on this one...Devo was gracious enough to share this gem of a song with me a while back. I never heard it but oh my God, did I laugh my a$$ off when I did. I haven't listened to it or thought of it again until today and it motivated me to look up the lyrics...I'll tell you what, I laughed just as hard, if not harder than the first time I heard these words...

Did you miss me
You did? Yeah? I missed you too.
I missed you so much I followed you today
(I saw you)
That's right now close your mouth
'Cause you cold busted
(Walking in the rain)
Now just sit down here, sit down here
I'm so upset with you I don't know what to do
You know my first impulse was to run up on you
And do a Rambo
I was about to jam you and flat blast both of you
But I didn't wanna mess up this thirt-seven hundred dollar lynx coat
So instead I chilled -- That's right chilled.

What were you
thinking?
You don't mess with the Juice!
I gave you silk suits, blue diamonds and gucci handbags.
I gave you things you couldn't even pronounce!

This is my world.
You're just a squirrel trying to get a nut!
Now get on outta here. Scat!
Don't touch that coat...

THIS IS BRILLIANT!!! Best cheating song ever!!!! Thank you Devo, thank YOU!

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
It is hilarious, tell me why Eddie Murphy wasn't doing this kind of stuff instead of Party all the time? Dying to hear what this other guy's stuff is like.
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
you missed a few lines...I know he says something about "dont go lookin' in that CLOSET! aint nothin in there!" hahaha
journey
Rewind Maestro
Member # 7316

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for journey   Email journey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The Rain" is actually is really good '80s R&B song until it decends into the ridculous rap comedy-fest at the end. The personal high water mark for me: "You was with The Juice!" [Big Grin] Btw, here's the complete rap verbatim:

Hey, hey baby, how you doin'?
Come on in here.
Got some hot chocolate on the stove waiting for you.
Listen, first thing's first...
let me hang up that coat.
Yeah, how's your day today?
Did you miss me?
Oh you did? I missed you too.
I missed you so much, I followed you today.
That's right.
Now close your mouth 'cause you cold busted.
That's right, now sit down here.
Sit down here.
I'm so upset with you I don't know what to do.
My first impulse was to run up on you...
And do a Rambo...
Whip out the jammy and flat blast both of you.
But I ain't wanna mess up this thirty-seven hundred dollar lynx coat.
So instead...I chilled.
That's right...chilled.
Then I went to the bank...
Took out every dime.
And then I went and cancelled all those credit cards...
Yeah.
All your charge accounts...
Yeah.
I stuck you up for every piece of jewelry I ever bought you...
Yeah...that's right...everything.
Everything.
Didn't fly with me.
Nah, don't go - don't go looking in that closet
'Cause you ain't got nothing in there.
Everything you came here with is packed up and waiting for you in the guest room.
That's right.
What was you thinking about?
Huh?
What were you trying to prove?
Huh?
You was with The Juice!
I gave you silk suits, Gucci handbags, blue diamonds...
I gave you things you couldn't even pronounce.
Now I can't give you nothing but advice.
'Cause you still young.
That's right, you still young.
I hope you learned a valuable lesson from all this.
Y'know?
You're gonna find somebody like me one of these days.
Until then, you know what you gotta do?
You gotta get on out of here with that alley cat coat-wearin', Hush Puppy shoe-wearin' crumbcake I saw you with.
'Cause you dismissed.
That's right.
Silly rabbit, tricks are made for kids, don't you know that?
You without me is like Cornflake without the milk!
It's my world...you're just a squirrel trying to get a nut.
Now get on outta here.
Get!
Don't touch that coat...

[ 13. September 2008, 02:32: Message edited by: journey ]

Posts: 835 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Aug 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
was there a video for this song? I mean its like an '80s version of Trapped In The Closet! He couldve made a big soap opera-esque opus about thsi woman cheatin on him!
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mamamiasweetpeaches asked:
quote:
Was there a video for this song?...
Yes, there was. I remember watching it on NBC's "Friday Night Videos".
Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the way, here's a bio:
http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:52o7gjlrj6iv

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home