iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » FAIRYTALE OF NEW YORK

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: FAIRYTALE OF NEW YORK
Saint_in_London
Master Rewinder
Member # 2575

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Saint_in_London   Email Saint_in_London   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here in the UK this song is widely held up as the best and most popular Christmas Song. Is this as popular around the rest of the world are you fans of it? The highest chart position it reached here was no 2.
It’s one of those songs that everyone try’s to sing when they are drunk but its very rare they know all the words!!

It was Christmas Eve babe
In the drunk tank
An old man said to me, won't see another one
And then he sang a song
The Rare Old Mountain Dew
I turned my face away
And dreamed about you

Got on a lucky one
Came in eighteen to one
I've got a feeling
This year's for me and you
So happy Christmas
I love you baby
I can see a better time
When all our dreams come true

They've got cars big as bars
They've got rivers of gold
But the wind goes right through you
It's no place for the old
When you first took my hand
On a cold Christmas Eve
You promised me
Broadway was waiting for me

You were handsome
You were pretty
Queen of New York City
When the band finished playing
They howled out for more
Sinatra was swinging,
All the drunks they were singing
We kissed on a corner
Then danced through the night

The boys of the NYPD choir
Were singing "Galway Bay"
And the bells were ringing out
For Christmas day

You're a bum
You're a punk
You're an old slut on junk
Lying there almost dead on a drip in that bed
You scumbag, you maggot
You cheap lousy faggot
Happy Christmas your ****
I pray God it's our last

I could have been someone
Well so could anyone
You took my dreams from me
When I first found you
I kept them with me babe
I put them with my own
Can't make it all alone
I've built my dreams around you

I've never heard this mentioned but I sometimes wonder if this song was some how inspired by Sid Vicious of the Sex pistols, im not a fan of either but I can see the links with his life and death in some of the lines.

Posts: 226 | From: London, England | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The song never had chart success over here but it has a lot of people who praise this song pretty highly including me. FYI for those not familliar with the song it was recorded by The Pogues w/ Kirsty MacColl.

I've alread listened to it a few times in the past week and will listen to it quite a bit more this holiday season. I also will listen to it occasionally all year long.

Good song. Good thread. I need to listen to it right now. Thanks for the inspiration.

Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tobey
Master Rewinder
Member # 2275

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Tobey   Email Tobey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are two Christmas songs that I love.
That one, "Fairytale of New York", and Simon & Garfunkel's "7 o'Clock News/Silent Night".

Posts: 173 | From: Norway | Registered: Jan 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The David Bowie/Bing Crosby Christmas song "Little Drummer Boy/Peace on Earth" is also a very fine song.
Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hordak
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1772

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Hordak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes an absolute classic. THE Christmas song from my first year as a pop fan, typical of the exceptionally high standards of '87/8. In fact, to this day I can't say I've heard a better one.

Chris Rea's monumental 'Driving Home For Christmas' and Cliff Richard's 'Savior's Day' are 2 other classics to check out (I know what you're thinking, Cheesy Cliff... while his earlier Mistletoe & Wine I could easily incinerate all copies of, Savior's Day, by contrast, was pure class and highly melodic IMO. Credit where credit's due :-).

Posts: 97 | From: Midlands, UK | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kat27
Master Rewinder
Member # 3979

1 Update

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kat27     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saint, I have mentioned this before but I don't know if what is in this section. This is one of my all time favourite songs - so much so that I have had to put it on now. Such a brilliant Christmas song - totally sums up my attitude towards Christmas - I am afraid that I am a bit of a grinch.
Posts: 327 | From: Australia | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a killer X-mas song, i always play it, it just typifies the down and out spirit of people who don't have much but each other on X-mas. It's even more sad now that kirst Macoll dies in a tragic boating acciden a few years ago.

I've never heard this mentioned but I sometimes wonder if this song was some how inspired by Sid Vicious of the Sex pistols, im not a fan of either but I can see the links with his life and death in some of the lines.

As for the lyrics being inspired by the Sex Pistols and Sid Vicious, that is very possible as the singer Shane MacGowan was an original 1977 London punk, who had his own band the Nips, and was friends and rubbed shoulders with the punks of the time. In fact the Clash's Joe Strummer was a member of the Pogues later on.

Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home