iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Popular 80s songs you just couldn't stand.. (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Popular 80s songs you just couldn't stand..
Two Lost Souls
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 8863

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Two Lost Souls     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's quite a few, but mainly anything by Duran Duran and The Cure. I never got the big deal about those two groups.
Posts: 27 | Registered: May 2010 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
The Dread Pirate Rewind....
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Two Lost Souls:
There's quite a few, but mainly anything by Duran Duran and The Cure. I never got the big deal about those two groups.

thats cool, everyones got an opinion, but, the cure...really? I guess, coz i cant stand gnr and nirvana and metallica and they are huge, then again so is kylie Minogue.
Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for oneyedwilly   Email oneyedwilly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pyromantic:
Would also like to add anything by "Bananarama"...especially that damn "I'm your Venus" song...that song instantly makes me wanna take a rifle to a belltower everytime I hear it:\

LOL, yeah my sister loved em and i couldnt stand them either, but most guys cant can they.
Posts: 1217 | From: united kingdom | Registered: Mar 2010 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
haaaated it!
6 years! It took you 6 years to respond!

quote:
Would also like to add anything by "Bananarama"...especially that damn "I'm your Venus" song...that song instantly makes me wanna take a rifle to a belltower everytime I hear it:\
Cover version.

quote:
Spandau Ballet-True
So true... funny how it seems. Come on, don't tell me you aren't having a little Samantha Baker moment right now just reading this post? (Yes, I am Jake Ryan in this instance!)

quote:
Tear For Fears-Shout
These are the things you can do without?! Not really bad Hip-Hop played by people in cars far too loud with their windows open - Tears for Fears?!! Oh Bam-Bam... in violent times you shouldn't have to sell your soul.
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bamersy
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8808

14 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bamersy   Email Bamersy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by logan5:These are the things you can do without?! Not really bad Hip-Hop played by people in cars far too loud with their windows open - Tears for Fears?!! Oh Bam-Bam... in violent times you shouldn't have to sell your soul.

I was very anti-Tears for Years until I found out they sang "Woman in Chains" from Boxing Helena, plus Adam Lambert's version of Mad World helped too.

In the 80's there were radio stations that would play the top ten songs in constant rotation. Shout was one them.

Posts: 452 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2010 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Muffy Tepperman
Leopard-print Leotard Wearer.....
Member # 1551

26 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Muffy Tepperman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Mickey" Toni Basil....urgahhhhh!
Posts: 2912 | Registered: Jun 2003 | Site Updates: 26  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I was very anti-Tears for Years until I found out they sang "Woman in Chains" from Boxing Helena, plus Adam Lambert's version of Mad World helped too.
'Woman in Chains' is great. 'Mad World' was always great. Never understood why people went mad for the slowed-down Donnie Darko version. "It's so deep and mournful sounding." "Eh? Do you really need a slowed-down tempo to hear that?! It was always mournful sounding!"

quote:
In the 80's there were radio stations that would play the top ten songs in constant rotation. Shout was one them.
Played to death - gotcha. There's still hope Bam-Bam, there's still hope!

quote:
"Mickey" Toni Basil....urgahhhhh!
"Oh Muffy what a pity you don't understand, you take me by the heart when you take me by the hand"

You have pom-pom shoes just like Toni Basil.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Contains 0.2% of Rewind Riboflavin
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Europe - The Final Countdown.
Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TKO:
Europe - The Final Countdown.

Call me weird, call me crazy..I don't Care..But I've always loved "The Final Countdown" by Europe. Awesome Song!
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pyro, I wouldn't dare to call you any of those. [Wink]
It's just a matter of taste I guess.

I admit, the synth intro is really good. I even like the guitar solo. But as soon as they start singing... nah.
It's especially the voice that turns me off.

Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
P.S. My son thinks it's an awesome song too. [Smile]
oneyedwilly
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
the final countdown - i love that song! I guess there is no one to blame, were leaving ground (leaving ground)...i also love - we built this city by starship - those two songs are a little similar to me for some reason.
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Call me weird, call me crazy..I don't Care..But I've always loved "The Final Countdown" by Europe. Awesome Song!
Seconded! Epic, synthy trash! Awful lyrics - brilliant pop hook!

I will always associate it with a friend of mine singing "It's the final keyboardy rock song!" at the top of his voice. I don't know why it amused me so much, but it did.

quote:
the final countdown - i love that song! I guess there is no one to blame, were leaving ground (leaving ground)...i also love - we built this city by starship - those two songs are a little similar to me for some reason.
"We're heading for veeeeen-us... maybe they've seeeen-us!"

Great rhymes! I associate it with 'We Built This City' too - they're both universally derided as trash, both very synthy sounding, both have giant question marks over their lyrics, both huge hits. I love 'em both!

Bamersy
Ace Rewinder
Member # 8808

14 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bamersy   Email Bamersy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Couldn't stand "We Built This City"-especially from the band that did "White Rabbit". This was my Starship album of the 80's:
 -
"And I cannot speak, and I've lost my sight, all my senses gone, lost in you tonight........"

Posts: 452 | From: California | Registered: Apr 2010 | Site Updates: 14  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We Built This City & Mickey.. excruciating choices.. btw, thanks for putting those horror tunes in my head as I go to sleep tonight!!

Wait.. is that Bamersy chiming in with "Only In My Dreams" from the other thread?

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oneyedwilly
Member # 8730

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
We Built This City & Mickey.. excruciating choices.. btw, thanks for putting those horror tunes in my head as I go to sleep tonight!!
hehe anytime valley. Dont you remember, member, member dow doww, we built this city for you valleeeeeeeeeeeeee! oh ohhhhh hohoohohohhohoh cue guitar solo now.

quote:
Great rhymes! I associate it with 'We Built This City' too - they're both universally derided as trash, both very synthy sounding, both have giant question marks over their lyrics, both huge hits. I love 'em both
ohh hell yeah logan!!The lyrics are just terribly cruel if your listening to it with someone else coz its just so embarressing to admit you like it and afraid the other person doesnt as you know you are in a small % of the population of tone deaf people like me.
TKO
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
Found another one...

Eartha Kitt- Where Is My Man

Yikes!

Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's strange how I can like "The Final Countdown" so much..yet I never really liked "We built this City." I dunno..that song just never stuck with me.
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TKO:
Found another one...

Eartha Kitt- Where Is My Man

Yikes!

TKO.. It definitely wasn't "Santa Baby"! However, Eartha Kitt was great in "Boomrang".. I mean she kind of grossed me out, but I think that was the intention.
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
Yes, she's one scary woman Valley.

On top of that she doesn't even sound like a woman. And what's with that purring all the time?

Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Couldn't stand "We Built This City"-especially from the band that did "White Rabbit".
I think people felt really let down by what Starship became in the 80's.

Don't you remember Bam-Bam? Don't you remember? We built this city on Rock & Roll!

Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
had to add...

bill withers - 'just the two of us'.. *gag*

but i love his song, 'lovely day'..posted it on my facebook recently. [Smile]

ac/dc - 'you shook me all night long' ...not a fan.

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anything by the B-52's, but especially Rock Lobster.

I %^&*ing hate that song so much. If I hear it on the radio I will come dangerously close to kicking the radio repeatedly.

My rage is fuelled even more if I see a clip of the B-52's with that annoying looking dorky and lanky guy with the severely annoying voice.

[ 17. February 2011, 01:14: Message edited by: Bernie_Lomax ]

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i dont like the song under pressure by queen. Seems like they play that one in alot of trailers too.
Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Good Package
Rewind Legend
Member # 9492

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Good Package     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ronnie, you dont like you shook me all night long?

thats borderline sacralidge.

Posts: 1605 | From: Lake Chicamocomico | Registered: Feb 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home