iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » What group had the best Power of Love song?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What group had the best Power of Love song?
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There were quite a few songs called the Power of Love back in the day. In fact the last Madonna song I liked was Power of Love in the late 90's off of the Ray of Light album. So who did you think had the best Power of Love song? Or did they all have their own unique charm? Guess it's a very basic title. Also please tell me if there were more groups that had as song called this that I missed.

The Power of Love-Jennifer Rush
Huey Lewis and the News
Peter Cetera
Frankie Goes to Hollywood

Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Rip, wasn't that "The glory of love" by Peter Cetera?

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a man (I mean woman) who will fight for your honor....hahahaha! [Razz]
Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GoldTransAM
Master Rewinder
Member # 2973

13 Updates!

- posted      Profile for GoldTransAM         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only one I know of is by Huey Lewis & The News.
Posts: 191 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jul 2004 | Site Updates: 13  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Celine Dion did a version with the title as well that got pretty far up the charts.
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devo, as usual, sharp as a razor, didn't realise it was Glory instead of Power of Love.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deathbystereo80
Rewind Guru
Member # 2005

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for deathbystereo80   Email deathbystereo80   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Celine Dion's version was just a remake of the Jennifer Rush song.
A good way to turn a perfectly nice song into a screechfest. [Mad]

Posts: 562 | From: Santa Carla | Registered: Oct 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the Heuy Louis "Power of love", but the Jennifer Rush song, which was covered by Celine Dion (and gave her her first Oz number 1), is a song that I hate with a fervent passion.

I can't recall the Frankie goes to Hollywood song and I have a feeling I should know it, but I know if I heard it I'd know it.

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deathbystereo80
Rewind Guru
Member # 2005

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for deathbystereo80   Email deathbystereo80   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha, Stitch, we were posting at the same time. [Big Grin]

I like the Frankie goes to Hollywood song best by far!
At the risk of annoying everyone else on here, perhaps the lyrics will jog your memory?

I'll protect you from the hooded claw
Keep the vampires from your door

Feels like fire
I'm so in love with you
Dreams are like angels
They keep bad at bay-bad at bay
Love is the light
Scaring darkness away-yeah

I'm so in love with you
Purge the soul
Make love your goal

[1]-The power of love
A force from above
Cleaning my soul
Flame on burn desire
Love with tongues of fire
Purge the soul
Make love your goal

I'll protect you from the hooded claw
Keep the vampires from your door
When the chips are down I'll be around
With my undying, death-defying
Love for you

Envy will hurt itself
Let yourself be beautiful
Sparkling love, flowers
And pearls and pretty girls
Love is like an energy
Rushin' rushin' inside of me

[Repeat 1]

This time we go sublime
Lovers entwine-divine divine
Love is danger, love is pleasure
Love is pure-the only treasure

I'm so in love with you
Purge the soul
Make love your goal

Posts: 562 | From: Santa Carla | Registered: Oct 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TresFoxy
Rewind Maestro
Member # 542

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TresFoxy   Email TresFoxy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I must go with Huey of course not that the Jennifer Rush version wasn't good but Celine ruin it the song for all others to hear. So Huey's the best but it does get annoying when you are at Kareoke and you want to do Huey's power of love and the accidently put on Celine's... Yuck!!!
Posts: 808 | From: MI, USA | Registered: Feb 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris the CandyFanMan
Those Ain't Pillows......
Member # 3197

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Chris the CandyFanMan   Author's Homepage   Email Chris the CandyFanMan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll admit Celine's take made me uneasy. Whenever it came on the radio, I'd cover my ears, especially when she got to the refrain.
Posts: 2561 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I very much dislike Celine's version of "I drove all night"
Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mane1980
Rewind Guru
Member # 4240

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Mane1980   Author's Homepage   Email Mane1980   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The one from Huey Lewis and the News
Posts: 631 | From: From Out of this World | Registered: Jul 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Richie
Master Rewinder
Member # 3527

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Richie   Email Richie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not sure if he did it in the 80's or not, but the late great Luther Vandross' version was an awesome tune as well.
Posts: 248 | Registered: Nov 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow...Riptide...I was going to say Luther Vandross too...nobody had mentioned him until the end there...and his song to me was the best out of all of them...and I am not a big fan of his, but if we are talking about just that song title...then that is the one I like the most.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monty
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 4319

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Monty   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a list of performers that have released a song called: 'Power Of Love' in the 80's:

1984 - Frankie Goes To Hollywood
[Album: Welcome To The Pleasurdome]

1985 - Air Supply
[Album: Air Supply]

1985 - Huey Lewis & The News
[Album: Back To The Future Soundtrack]

1986 - Jennifer Rush
[Album: Jennifer Rush]
Side Note: The original version on this song was first sung by vocalist Nana Mouskouri her 1984 album Nana and not Jennifer Rush.

1987 - Laura Branigan
[Album: Touch]
Side Note: In my opinion, the best sung version of this song. Also sad that she died so young.

1988 - King's X
[Album: Out Of The Silent Planet]

Peter Cetera never released a single titled: 'Power Of Love' although he did release one entitled: 'Glory Of Love', which appeared on two albums in 1986:

The Karate Kid Part 2 Soundtrack
Solitude/Solitaire

Having this list, I would pick Huey Lewis & The News for my favorite 'Power Of Love' in the 80's tune.

Monty

Posts: 17 | From: Madison, WI | Registered: Sep 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monty
Apprentice Rewinder
Member # 4319

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Monty   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Luther Vandross released the song 'Power of Love / Love Power' on April 23,1991 with the album: "Power Of Love". Having noted this, I don't think it would qualify for an 80's song. But it is a great song. Nice suggestion.

Monty

Posts: 17 | From: Madison, WI | Registered: Sep 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home