iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Am I hearing that right?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Am I hearing that right?
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just playing with my gopher from "Caddyshack" you know the one that dances and plays the Kenny Loggins track from the movie, and it reminded me of something. When I was little, I had no idea what Kenny was saying in that song.

I think the actual lyrics were "I'm alright
nobody worry bout me" yadda yadda yadda...

I remember I used to sing "Ham on rye nobody worry bout me. You got to gimmie a bite, why cant you just let me be"

Anyway Ive done this too many songs. Than once I'm corrected I'm embarrassed but I move on. Anyone else ever suffer from this sort of faulty hearing syndrome?

Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pardon?

[Big Grin]

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TKO
Contains 0.2% of Rewind Riboflavin
Member # 1471

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for TKO   Email TKO   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since English isn't my mother tongue, this used to happen to me lots of times.
In fact I discovered not too long ago that in the 'Every Breath You Take'-song, Sting is actually singing: "How my poor heart aches, with every step you take." instead of "How I pull her legs, with every step you take."
Ok, I know that doesn't make no sense, but even now that I know the correct lyrics, I still hear him saying that..

And then there's of course Bryan Ferry/ Roxy Music.. [Confused]

Posts: 1058 | From: Echo Beach, far away in time | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ali_with_an_i asked about misheard lyrics:
quote:
...Anyone else ever suffer from this sort of faulty hearing syndrome?
It's called "Mondegreens": misheard or misunderstood song lyrics.

(click below):
http://www.kissthisguy.com

http://funnies.paco.to/songs2.html

http://www.amiright.com

[Cool]

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The best one is a guy I used to hang out with thought Eminence Front by THE WHO was "Livin in the butt" or something like that. Other people singing songs wrong I've overheard:
"Promenade"....Holiday by MADONNA
"Tis the season......" lyric from Sunglasses at Night by COREY HART (actual lyric is "While she's decieving me..."
"Caeser! Whoa-oa!"....lyric from Do They Know It's Chrismas Time by LIVE AID (actual lyric is "Feeeeed The Worrrrllllld!"

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Ali_with_an_i   Author's Homepage   Email Ali_with_an_i   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember my friend and I listening to CCR's Bad Moon Rising. She used to sing "There's a bathroom on the right"... Actual lyric is "There's a bad moon on the rise".

That always cracks me up!

Posts: 2242 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Missie
MadonnaWannabee
Member # 2186

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Missie   Author's Homepage   Email Missie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bathroom on the right! ROFLOL!

That book "Scuse Me While I Kiss This Guy" is so funny....my fave one is the song Oh Sherry by Steve Perry. It says someone heard "Cinnamon Gum!" instead of "Shoulda Been Gone!" at the beginning....too funny!

Also, my friend used to sing "I ****ed in a velvet glove" instead of "iron fist in a velvet glove" in the song Fractured Love by Def Leppard (good ol' marble mouth Elliott!)

Anyone watch Friends? Remember when Phoebe thought Tiny Dancer by Elton John went "hold me close young Tony Danza"...LOL...I have ruined that song for lots of people singing it that way...heeheee...

Missie

Posts: 432 | From: Burbank, CA | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Cinnamon gum. Now I never heard that one before.

WE are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reading this I decided to check the lyrics to a favorite song of mine, Manic Monday by The Bangles. I know, I know - if it's a favorite I should have checked it out sooner. But hey, stuff happens. Anyhoo.... I always thought Susannah sang "Doesn't it matter that I have to feed the both of us and form a cell?" I just figured she was trying to get pregnant!

It turns out the line is "Doesn't it matter that I have to feed the both of us? Employment's down"

Oops.

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
LOL!!!!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Missie
MadonnaWannabee
Member # 2186

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Missie   Author's Homepage   Email Missie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG, Stitch....that's friggen hilarious! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Posts: 432 | From: Burbank, CA | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ali I did this with Pour Some Sugar on Me, I cannot even remember what I thought it was because once I knew the actual words I forgot the way I used to sing it. Some songs are like that. Some sing a song and it is the way it comes out and it doesn't sound like the word intended at all.

I like the Bo Bice version of Inside your Heaven. He says Heaven differently, cannot really describe it.

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Missie
MadonnaWannabee
Member # 2186

Member Rated:
My friend used to think they said "red eye phone" in that song, Sunflower. I believe it's radar phone, right? Joe Elliott is easy to misunderstand, though. Heehee.

Missie

Ali_with_an_i
Rewind Icon
Member # 27

Member Rated:
I could never understand what Chrisrobinson of the Black Crowes was saying in Hard to Handle.

At the end of each chorus he'd say "Pretty little thing let me light your candle cuase mama I'm sure hard to handle now gets around".

I could never make that part out. It just sounded to me like "Pretty little thing let me light your candle cause mama im sure handa now yes around"

It just sound like sounds to me not words.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home