iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » What 80s songs make you think about your friends?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What 80s songs make you think about your friends?
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had originally intended to post this in the "Summer Songs" thread, but I thought I would out it here instead.

"You Make Me Feel So Good" by Book Of Love reminds me of the Summers I enjoyed in my high school years. I was always hanging out with my best friend and we would cruise around a couple of towns, shooting the breeze, buying old albums and videos and eating junk food and ice cream.

I feel a little sad listening to the song now. My friend and I are so busy with our own lives now that we never hang out anymore.

I say hello to him when he comes to shop at Wal-Mart, but that's the closest we come to having a conversation. He's usually shopping with his girlfriend and her daughter. I'm afraid he might cut out on his loved ones and friends for good. He's never around. His parents don't see him...I don't see him.

I never thought that one song could trigger all these emotions. Sadness, nostalgia, anger, depression...All triggered by a bouncy pop song that came out when I was still learning to read and write.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's tough when people's priorities change. The past few years a bunch of friends have gotten married, gotten mortages, with babies on the way. My old high school was torn down last year when I visited. Anyway, I know how it feels when a song triggers a memory, (why does that sappy song from Stealing Home pop in my head when I say that?) and the people associated with it are long gone.

I did have some nostalgia recently, I saw the Pixies with Weexer last Sunday, the show was great, because the Pixies who technically started in the 80's were on stage tearing it up back in form since their bitter breakup in the early 90'.s Anyway, my friend Jon and I were best buds in university and he got me into them, always cranking their music in his room. I was feeling the flashbacks, so i e-mailed him after a long hiatus and he responded right away, so that was a cool moment.

Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horned King
Rewind Maestro
Member # 2691

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Horned King   Author's Homepage   Email The Horned King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anything by Megadeth, Rock.
Posts: 974 | From: Mel's Diner | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stitch Groover
Rewind Groover
Member # 2895

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Stitch Groover   Email Stitch Groover   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Iko Iko" by the Belle Stars reminds of a brief period in high school when I was actually popular!!

Songs really do trigger incredible memories. Whenever I hear Paul McCartney's "Hope of Deliverance" I think of my Pop - that song was playing on the radio in the car as we drove from the church to the cemetary for his funeral.

Posts: 3839 | From: Wangaratta, Vic, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Almost every friend I have ever had I can connect them to a song.

My high school boyfriend-the one song I think of is "I Can't fight this feeling- REO Speedwagon

another guy friend of mine-He bought me the Janet Jackson "Control" album for my 18th birthday...so I always think of him when I hear the song "When I think of You".

My first "real" boyfriend...there is a group...that he had a cassette tape of...that I use to love a bunch of the songs on...and I always forget to look them up...because I only heard of them back then...and their name was B.E. Taylor. I should go look them up...and see if I could find them again...cause I always forget.

There are so many songs that make me think of my best friend and room mate...one being Wild Side-Motley Crue...and also Wipe Out by the Fat Boys. We loved music, and watched MTV all night long in the late 80's.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home