iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Underrated songs from the 80's

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Underrated songs from the 80's
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
667 - The Neighbor Of The Beast
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the place to post those diamonds in the rough. Songs that you really like that most people have either forgotten or have never heard.

My first entry is from David & David an awesome song called "Welcome To The Boomtown"

I highly recommend this song to all.

---------------------------------------

Miss Christina drives a nine-four-four (.944)
satisfaction oozes from he pores
she keeps rings on her fingers, marble on her floor
cocaine in her dresser, bars on her doors

she keeps her back against the wall
she keeps her back against the wall

So I say, I say welcome, welcome to the boomtown
pick a habit we got plenty to go around
welcome to the boomtown
and all that money makes such a succulent sound
welcome to the boomtown

Handsome Kevin got a little off track
took a year off of college and he never went back
now he smokes much too much, he's got a permanent hack
deals dope out of Denny's and keeps a table in the back

he always listens to the ground
always listens to the ground

welcome to the boomtown
welcome to the boomtown

Well the ambulance arrived too late
I guess she didn't want to wait...

welcome to the boomtown
welcome to the boomtown
welcome to the boomtown
welcome to the boomtown

Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sam, never heard that song, what year and where can I find it?

There are a bunch of underrated 80's songs out there, a few:

Idle Eyes-Tokyo Rose
Laid Back-White Horse
And also the Trees-Scarlet Arch
The Passions-In love with a German film star
Wolfgang Press-Heart of Stone
Kick Axe-Heavy Metal Shuffle

Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

- posted      Profile for Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Sammy Hain Esq.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David & David

Only familiar with two of your songs

Laid Back and Kick Axe. Actually saw Kick Axe open up for Judas Priest on their Defenders of the Faith tour.

Posts: 4742 | From: Cell Block 6 | Registered: Aug 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Will have to check out David & David, the idle Eyes song is real good, they must be canadian, because I thought more people knew that on. As for Kick Axe, Vancouver Punk band do a reall cool cover of that song on the FUBAR soundtrack. You should definetly watch and purchase that movie and soundtrack, it's right up your alley.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A song that comes to mind is "88 Lines About 44 Women" by The Nails. [Cool]
Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
Some more:

Sleeping Dogs-Flesh for Lulu
Nova Heart-Spoons(canadian new wave)
We all fall down-Red Rockers

Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

Lunatic Fringe by Red Rider is awesome too.
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
Actually a lot of early Red Rider is amazing, if you see a compilation cd called 60 minutes with Red Rider it is well worth it.

Also:

The Flirts-Passion
Soft Cell-Say Hello Wave Goodbye
Josef K-Sorry for Laughing
The Associates-Party Fears Two
Laura Branigan-Self Control

Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

I love 88 lines. I also like "New Toy" by Lene Lovich.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J. Chance
Senior Rewinder
Member # 4217

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J. Chance   Email J. Chance   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is one called "Don't Stop Trying" (I think)

Don't stop trying...
Don't come crying...
Better keep away...
Every night and day... baby

Don't stop! Don't give up! Baby! Babaay!

I don't know who does it, and can't find it.
Any helpz?

[ 11. July 2005, 20:40: Message edited by: J. Chance ]

Posts: 77 | From: Up north | Registered: Jun 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Sammy Hain Esq.
Member # 3150

Kayleigh by Marillion is a very fine song that at least stateside didn't get much recognition
Duckie Dale Winton
Master Rewinder
Member # 3419

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Duckie Dale Winton   Author's Homepage   Email Duckie Dale Winton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sam Reservoir Dog Hain:
Kayleigh by Marillion is a very fine song that at least stateside didn't get much recognition

Complete opposite for that song in the UK Sam - it got to number 2, and was only kept off the top by a charity single. It's still their most famous single, but absolutely nothing like the sort of stuff they play now.
Posts: 242 | From: Northampton, England | Registered: Oct 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Missie
MadonnaWannabee
Member # 2186

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Missie   Author's Homepage   Email Missie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Riptide knows this already, but one of my fave songs that I didn't know until recently is a song by The Sound called Winter that is haunting and absolutely divine.

I'd like to sleep one hundred days
My feeling has gone, flesh cold and numb
I'm staring into winter

All's slowing down, snow in the wheels
Frost on the ground, ice cuts the seal
The opens up old wounds
That lets in the winter

Memories and hopes are all that I have
Bur are they all I need
Will they see me through this winter?

I'd like to sleep one hundred days
My reason has gone flesh cold and numb
At least let me sleep through the winter

Stunning and beautiful and so, so sad.

Missie

Posts: 432 | From: Burbank, CA | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
Frida- Something going on, I never see this 80's song on any compliations, not bad for a former ABBA singer

Lords of the New Church-Russian Roulette

totally underrated group, loved the singer Stiv Bators apearance in Tape Heads. Stiv, R.I.P.

That song by the Sound is a great one, they had so many others that were great too. They should have been as big as U2.

Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
also

Roachford-Cuddly Toy
Fearless Four-Rockin it

rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The Downtown Lights" by The Blue Nile.

The song made it in under the wire, coming out a few weeks before the 80s ended. It's an atmospheric tune which sounds sad and imaginative at the same time. I can see it being used in an 80s movie montage or its' closing credits. It has a sense of finality...A "this is it and it was a Hell of a ride" type of feel.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kat27
Master Rewinder
Member # 3979

1 Update

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kat27     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard Gloria today - haven't heard that song for years!!!!!! Can't remember who it is by.
Posts: 327 | From: Australia | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 1  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saint_in_London
Master Rewinder
Member # 2575

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Saint_in_London   Email Saint_in_London   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Irene Kara, was maybe the verison you heard but i know of other who have done it now too.
Posts: 226 | From: London, England | Registered: Apr 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kat27 wrote:
quote:
I heard "Gloria" today - haven't heard that song for years!!!!!! Can't remember who it is by.
You mean "Gloria" by Laura Branigan (R.I.P.)?
Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hordak
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1772

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Hordak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A very good almost-obscure-sounding kinda track is 'Somewhere Down The Crazy River' by Robbie Robertson. Has a character all its own; especially love the Deep South (possibly [Smile] ) ambience it generates thanks to Robbie's talking delivery on the verses followed by that uplifting chorus. Minor hit in the UK not sure about Stateside??

Yea, I can see it now
The distant red neon shivered in the heat
I was feeling like a stranger in a strange land
You know where people play games with the night
God, it was too hot to sleep
I followed the sound of a jukebox coming from a levee
All of a sudden I could hear somebody whistling
From right behind me
I turned around and she said
"Why do you always end up down at Nick's Cafe?"
I said "I don't know, the wind just kind of pushed me this way."
She said "Hang the rich."

Catch the blue train
To places never been before
Look for me
Somewhere down the crazy river
Catch the blue train
All the way to Kokomo
You can find me

Take a picture of this
The fields are empty, abandoned '59 Chevy
Laying in the back seat listening to Little Willie John
Yea, that's when time stood still
You know, I think I'm gonna go down to Madam X
And let her read my mind
She said "That Voodoo stuff don't do nothing for me."

I'm a man with a clear destination
I'm a man with a broad imagination
You fog the mind, you stir the soul
I can't find, ... no control

Catch the blue train
To places never been before
Look for me
Catch the blue train
All the way to Kokomo
You can find me

Wait, did you hear that
Oh this is sure stirring up some ghosts for me
She said "There's one thing you've got to learn
Is not to be afraid of it."
I said "No, I like it, I like it, it's good."
She said "You like it now
But you'll learn to love it later."

I been spellbound - falling in trances
I been spellbound - falling in trances
You give me shivers - chills and fever
I been spellbound - somewhere down the crazy river

John.

Posts: 97 | From: Midlands, UK | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
Hordak, do I have some news for you. Here on canadian radio, we hear this song all the time. It probably has to do with Robbie Robertson is considered canadian content, which means 40% of airplay time has to be canadian artists. On this station at work I pretty much hear this song every day actually. It was good for it's time, but really sick of it.
Hordak
Senior Rewinder
Member # 1772

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for Hordak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Riptide that is good to hear! Only recently discovered it again on one of my old Top 40 pop tapes, sandwitched as it was between Big Country's 'King Of Emotion' and Tanita Tikaram's 'Good Tradition'. All classic songs, yet somehow Robbie's just stood out for me, probably due to the Chris Rea-esq laid back vibe it has.

Must admit to being tired of it too now, but that's only 'cos of all the times I've played it last few days!

Posts: 97 | From: Midlands, UK | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home