iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » What Were They thinking 80s Songs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What Were They thinking 80s Songs
mamamiasweetpeaches
She's with you, but she's thinking of Jake Ryan....
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This category is for when you had a band you really loved and then they did a song that you hated making you wonder "What Were They Thinking???"

I remember being in grammar school and really liking QUEEN.
Then Radio Ga Ga came out.

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

I loved Duran Duran, till they remade white lines.

Oh god.

WE are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am drawing a blank on White Lines????

How about.... oh I cannot think of one single thing!

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J. Chance
Senior Rewinder
Member # 4217

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J. Chance   Email J. Chance   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I nominate Music Time by Styx. I think Dennis DeYoung was trying to be more like David Lee Roth but that just wasn't going to happen.

Here are some of the lyrics. They might strike a memory. It was a pretty wacky video, more like something Diamond Dave would have come up with than a Styx song.

I like big things
The size of them impresses me
Just give me plenty
Forget about the quality
And I like fast food
The burgers always taste the same
No snotty waiters,
Escargot or beaujolais

And I like daydreams
I’ve had enough reality
My job is boring
I’m overworked and underpaid
I like tv
It stirs up all my fantasies
Girls in tight jeans
Acting so outrageously

Turn me on
Turn me up
Turn me loose
All the way

Turn it on (hey everybody it’s music time)
Turn it up (hey everybody it’s music time)
Turn it loose (hey everybody it’s music time)
Turn it loud (hey everybody it’s music time)
Hey everybody it’s music time!

[ 17. June 2005, 08:34: Message edited by: J. Chance ]

Posts: 77 | From: Up north | Registered: Jun 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for mamamiasweetpeaches   Author's Homepage   Email mamamiasweetpeaches   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont know the STYX song you mentioned (maybe I didnt realize it was STYX!)

White Lines was a rap song by Melle Mell:

White liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiines
goin through my mind................

A rang dang ding a dang a dang
A rand dang ding a dang dang

It was about being addicted to cocaine. I also thought it was a poor DURAN DURAN choice....but I've seen them in concert 3 times and they always do it!

Posts: 4913 | From: New York | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GoldTransAM
Master Rewinder
Member # 2973

13 Updates!

- posted      Profile for GoldTransAM         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The video for Music Time was really stupid.
Posts: 191 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jul 2004 | Site Updates: 13  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horned King
Rewind Maestro
Member # 2691

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for The Horned King   Author's Homepage   Email The Horned King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
R.E.M.'s "Shiny Happy People."
Posts: 974 | From: Mel's Diner | Registered: May 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rocksteadyflamethrower

80s Movie Guru
Member # 1065

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for rocksteadyflamethrower   Email rocksteadyflamethrower   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Horned King:
R.E.M.'s "Shiny Happy People."

Actually, this was a 90s song. Even if it were an 80s song, I don't think this would count. This song is more of a satire of "happy pop music".

You could always go after the version R.E.M performed on "Sesame Street" (the title was "Furry Happy Monsters"), but then that would have to fit into a "What Were They Thinking?: 90s Songs" post.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

Posts: 1545 | From: Greenwood Lake, New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mamamiasweetpeaches
Member # 1715

Member Rated:
I like SHINY HAPPY PEOPLE. God help me.
I think I heard once they interviewed Michael Stipe and asked him if he had made any mistakes in his career and he said "Three words: SHINY HAPPY PEOPLE.
LOL!!!!
I like that stupid song.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home