iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Kylie Minogue has breast cancer

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kylie Minogue has breast cancer
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the TV infotainment show, "Extra":

http://extratv.warnerbros.com/v2/news/0505/17/2/text.html

KYLIE MINOGUE ANNOUNCES BREAST CANCER BATTLE
May 17, 2005

It's the sad news that rocked the music industry Tuesday: Australian pop queen Kylie Minogue has breast cancer.

The troubling news came straight from Kylie's hometown of Melbourne, Australia, where she's been vacationing with boyfriend Oliver Martinez and preparing for her new "Showgirl" tour, which has been put on hold.

The 2004 Grammy winner is a superstar around the world and addressed the illness head on in a statement to her fans, saying, "Sorry to have to disappoint my fans. Nevertheless, hopefully all will work out fine, and I'll be back with you all again soon."

Fellow Aussie and breast cancer survivor Olivia Newton-John told us that Kylie's decision to talk about the illness is a good step toward recovery. "I think talking about things and releasing fears is an important part of healing," Newton-John said.

Kylie's younger sister Dannii told "Extra" today that although the family is very upset over the news, they are optimistic because the cancer has been caught early.

Kylie is set to start treatment immediately, and although her tour plans are on hold, fingers are crossed that she battles back successfully and soon.

"We're all humans, and there's nothing different," Newton-John insisted. "No one's any different or any luckier; let's just hope that she's very lucky."

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna Sullivan
Master Rewinder
Member # 4010

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Anna Sullivan   Email Anna Sullivan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a sad story indeed. My aunt also had breast cancer and she beat it. I heard on the morning news that the cancer was well isolated and that there were no secondaries. This should mean a good prognosis for Kylie. Either way, she's a fighter and will conquer this with the same spirit and determination that she has conquered the pop scene for over two decades.

I hope anyone on this forum who has been touched by cancer, either with themselves or a loved one, has some positive experiences. If not, I am really sorry for your loss. I know that sometimes it seems like we all care too much when a celebrity gets cancer and not enough when a regular person does. However, sometimes people need to see that cancer does NOT discriminate in order to join the fight. As much as I wish Kylie my best, I hope that people accross the world are reminded of the importance of donating to breast cancer research and the need for regular check-ups. Let Kylie be symbolic of a greater need to address this insidious disease.

Posts: 232 | From: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia | Registered: Mar 2005 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I totally agree with that Anna. My Dad died of a rare form of brain cancer 2 years ago, he wasn't my biological Dad, but he was my Dad from the time I was 2 years old and up, and I have a hard time believing he died.

I was so shocked when Olivia Newton John said she had cancer...I think she found out the day her Dad died of cancer.

Suzanne Sommers and Jacklyn Smith also have/had breast cancer. It is really important to do self breast exams.

That is how a friend of mine found out she had Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, and she was told over 10 years ago, that she had a 50% chance of only living 5 more years, so they have such great success rates for early detection.

My husband's mother died at 55 of colon cancer, so we have made sure he has been screened already...none of that stuff is fun, and nobody really likes going to the doctor, but it can save your life. Most cancers are 80% curable with early detection.

Eliminating things like smoking and a bad diet all are ways of prevention.

I personally am excited because I lowered my cholesterol 22 points in just a few months. High Cholesterol runs in my family, and I actually have a pretty good diet, but I guess it wasn't good enough, so I am glad it is coming down now on it's own without medicine.

I am not glad either when anyone is diagnosed with an illness, but it does make other people aware of ways to prevent the same thing happening to them, or at least remind them to go to the doctor regularly for check ups.

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it is sad when anyone finds out that they have any kind of cancer. It is shocking when you find out a celebrity has it becaue in your eyes they are always invincible. I think that their celebrity helps the public with awareness of such conditions which is very important.

What I don't understand is why cancer effects people differently. I mean what if you had it and have no symptoms at all then all of the sudden you only have 2 months to live. Why does it do that, maybe because it is just the persons time. I have heard stories of people that were absolutely fine, then through a regular check up the doctor found a mole on their back and were dead within three months. I mean what if they had had the mole forever, what if that was really it. Cancer is a scary thing and I hope that Kylie Minogue makes it through this thing with flying colors.

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dexter Motley Morgan
Motley Maestro
Member # 3598

- posted      Profile for Dexter Motley Morgan   Email Dexter Motley Morgan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God Bless her and I hope nothing but the best for her. I think the surgery was a success the last I heard. She was lucky they caught it as early as they did...
Posts: 3845 | From: Norf Karolina | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home