iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Country Music went down the tubes too

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Country Music went down the tubes too
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last night, we were flipping through channels, and there was a country awards show on, Jeff Foxworthy was hosting- I actually use to like him back when, but he totally stunk, the stuff he was saying didn't even make sense.

So, I watched them do one award, and when I saw that stupid Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy song, and the Redneck Woman song were 2 out of the 5 songs up for an award...I thought... this bites.

How do those songs compare to Garth Brooks and songs like The Dance and The Thunder Rolls, and artists like: George Strait, Alabama, Vince Gill, Brooks N Dunn, Reba McEntire, Alan Jackson, Martina McBride, Faith Hill, The Judds...I mean..for awhile Country Music had some great songs, and I have a bunch of Country CDs, it seems like for some years there were a ton of big hits by Country, and that Country was becoming as popular as pop music.

Bring back Billy Ray Cyrus any day of the week, at least he was nice to look at- [Wink]

Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jessie the Sunflower Goddess
The Ultimate Rewind Princess
Member # 1877

2 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Email Jessie the Sunflower Goddess   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OH ISIS, Billy Ray makes my skin crawl. I like that song he sings "All the Same to Me".

I kind of like the new country some of it is catchy!!!

Posts: 5319 | From: KANSAS | Registered: Sep 2003 | Site Updates: 2  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for LISA LISA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know Jessica...I was goofing about him, but in comparison to what is out there now..I'd take him any day of the week.
Posts: 13484 | Registered: Aug 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StevenHW
Rewind Idol
Member # 509

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for StevenHW   Email StevenHW   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isis wrote, in part:
quote:
...for awhile Country Music had some great songs, and I have a bunch of Country CDs, it seems like for some years there were a ton of big hits by Country, and that Country was becoming as popular as pop music...
Country music enjoyed a brief fad in the early 80's (the "Urban Cowboy" movie had something to do with that!) and again in the early to mid-90's. People like Garth Brooks, Shania Twain, Clint Black, Toby Keith, Alan Jackson, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Lorrie Morgan, and others all had a hand in that.

The problem was these "country" singers were too pop-sounding, especially Shania Twain! And although they got radio airplay, it didn't impress some of the older C&W singers (Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, etc.)

I'm sorry, but I don't consider any "country" music after 1980 to be REAL Country & Western music! And I'm not even a fan of Country!

And as for Isis' last comment:
quote:
...Bring back Billy Ray Cyrus any day of the week, at least he was nice to look at- [Wink]
BLECCCHHH! [Mad]

I absolutely HATED his "Achy Breaky Heart" song! I loved Weird Al Yankovic's parody of it that, though, mainly because he made fun out of Billy Ray and that dumb song! [Big Grin]

Posts: 3385 | From: Sacramento, California, USA | Registered: Sep 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LISA LISA
Rewind Idol
Member # 1780

Member Rated:
Well....StevenHW...compared to what they are calling country music now...I'll take Shania any day of the week. She was one I forgot, I liked Lorrie Morgan too.

I just bought Urban Cowboy at Wal-Mart for $4.88. I love the soundtrack. Alabama was great...when they sing " Play me some Mountain Music, like Grandma and Grandpa use to play...they were cool. I always loved their song "She and I". They had alot of great stuff.

She and I live in our own little world
don't worry about the world outside
She and I agree
She and I lead a perfectly normal life
Ah but just because we aren't often seen socially
people think we've got something to hide.
But all our friends know we're just a little old fashioned
She and I

Oh ain't it great
aint it fine
to have a love for someone that others can't find
Aint it wonderful to know all we ever need is just the two of us
She and I
so wonderful
She and I

She and I share with every body else
the same wants, needs and desires
She and I save
She and I pay on everything we acquire

Ah but just because we aren't often seen separately
people think we live one life.

Its hard for them to see how anyone could be as close as
She and I

I also love the songs Love in the First Degree and There's No way, infact thinking of it right now makes me wanna go find them, cause I don't have either of them, and I need to get Love in the first Degree:

Love in the First Degree"

Words and Music by Jim Hurt and Tim DuBois

-I once thought of love as a prison a place I didn't want to be.
So long ago I made a decision to be footloose and fancy free.
But you came I was so tempted to gamble on love just one time.
I never thought I would get caught.
It seemed like the perfect crime.

Chorus:
Baby, you left me defenseless.
I've only got one plea.
Lock me away inside of your love and throw away the key.
I'm guilty of love in the first degree.

I thought it would be so simple, like a thousand times before.
I'd take what I wanted and just walk away, but I never made it to the door.
Now babe, I'm not beggin' for mercy.
Go ahead and throw the book at me.
If lovin' you's a crime, I know that I'm as guilty as a man can be.

Chorus

Oh yeah. Oh yeah.

Chorus

Oh yeah. Love in the first degree.
Love in the first degree.
Love in the first degree.

Those are great songs!!

I also liked Blackhawk and a couple songs by AAron Tippon.

The last really good country song I heard was Concrete Angel-Martina McBride, and Burn-Jo Dee Messina.

Now, it is all junk.

I hate the Blue collar dudes like...Larry, the Cable guy, makes my skin crawl.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home