iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » GENRE WAR!!! Yes vs Rush

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GENRE WAR!!! Yes vs Rush
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Even though people flock to Rush like they are the progrock version of the grateful dead, and Tom Sawyer, Limelight, and 2112 are but a few of their great songs, I always felt like I just never got it. I never got the mass appeal.

My vote is for Yes. I love their songs like Love Will Find A Way and Roundabout not to mention Owner of a Lonely Heart. It might just be me that likes them better but so be it.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its' a tough one. I absolutely love Owner of a lonely heart.

The main thing I like about Rush is Neil Pearts drum solos.

I like both and can't decide who I like more.

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Owner of a Lonely Heart" is a great tune and i like the whole 90125 (1983) album.
But apart from that i haven´t really listened Yes.
I love this Yes tribute album Tales from Yesterday though (Magna Carta, 1995)

-

I have listened to Rush all my life so Rush wins this battle.

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes to Yes.
Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittsburghgirl
Rewind Icon
Member # 7514

- posted      Profile for Pittsburghgirl   Email Pittsburghgirl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I say Yes over Rush. I never got the whole Rush thing either. Sure they're great musicians and all- I just don't like them as well as Yes.
Posts: 2289 | From: Pittsburgh | Registered: Nov 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honestly... I could never get into either. I like select songs by both, but find early Yes to be monstrously dated and bloated, not to mention Jon Anderson's voice grating on me very quickly. And I find Rush to be samey sounding and have the same issue with Rush vocals grating on me (both of the bands have whiney sounding singers).

I'll have the 'best of' for both. But I'll leave the rest.

Having said all of that - I do like 'Spirit of Radio' by Rush and 'Time and a Word' by Yes quite a bit.

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
marshalbaker
Rewind Curious
Member # 9513

Rate Member
 - posted      Profile for marshalbaker   Email marshalbaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes to Yes as I still feel that rush never got the point of song writing.
Posts: 8 | From: MO | Registered: Mar 2011 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home