iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » GENRE WAR!!! Depeche Mode vs. New Order

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GENRE WAR!!! Depeche Mode vs. New Order
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Man, a lot of good music. I'm gonna say that Depeche Mode was better for a longer time. But early New Order/Joy Division is better musically. I really love Age of Consent.

I'll say New Order is a touch better but I could be convinced otherwise.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd have to go Depeche Mode
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both did very good albums!
If i have to choose it´s Depeche Mode with Violator (1990)

On another day the winner could be New Order with Republic (1992)

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bernie_Lomax

Member # 8571

24 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Bernie_Lomax   Email Bernie_Lomax   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like Joy Division / New Order more.

Ian curtis was such an awesome front man. Such raw enthusiasm. He actually died exactly a year to the day before I was born.

To think that Ians unfortunate death finished them, and then they came back strong with New Order.

I do like both bands though.

Posts: 2586 | From: Defrauding the company from abroad | Registered: Jan 2010 | Site Updates: 24  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devo, this shouldn't be as hard to decide as it is for me..

If you'd asked me in the 80's.. I would have easily said Depeche Mode because of the Violator album, but after years of reflection and getting to know more tunes from Joy Division/New Order is much more difficult.

Depeche Mode.. Enjoy The Silence, Policy of Truth, Personal Jesus, Strangelove, People Are People, Just Can't Get Enough, and the newer tune Precious.

Joy Division/New Order.. Love Will Tear Us Apart, Atmosphere, Transmission, Age of Consent, Regret, Bizarre Love Triangle, Blue Monday, True Faith, and Ceremony.

I'm still going with Depeche Mode for the moment because unlike so many on here .. I'm more of a New Order fan than Joy Division, so I'm still sticking with:

Depeche Mode

But I am interested in learning more about Joy Division.. so what does everyone recommend for reference material?

Joy Division (2007)?
Control (2007)?
Joy Division; Under Review (2006)?
24 Hour Party People (2002)?

(the last one isn't really all about Joy Division, but is filled with their tunes and I've seen it mentioned in the past)

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both great bands and no clear winner for me. I'm not really as familiar with Depeche Mode's earlier stuff as I should be...so I aim to remedy that. I will say, that if I had to pick a favorite song between either group, it would hands down be "Love Will Tear Us Apart" by Joy Division....this song alone might just push my vote to Joy Division by a slight margin....
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depeche Mode
Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man, this is hard! Depeche Mode ruled the 80's and are still putting out good music. Was playing Behind the Wheel the other night and it still slays!

Joy Division have the two albums and singles, the legendary frontman and mythology, they were arguably the greatest post-punk band ever and are so influential and groundbreaking. New Order kind of carried the torch albeit in a much more brighter sounding vein. Always thought Bernard Sumner didn't have the lyrics and vocal prowness of Ian Curtis (not many did), but still put out brilliant stuff. Sometimes I wonder if there would have been a Depeche Mode if there wasn't a song like JD's Isolation.

Valley, all those films are pretty good, although 24 hour party people is kind of a zany Monty Python view of what happened with Factory Records, hardly anything on New Order either which I was kind of miffed about. Control is pretty good though.

Valley, also try and pick up the first Modern English album Mesh and Lace, the first one was very Joy Division influenced and more different that the bright sounding After the Snow.

Also try and get some Comsat Angels, amazing 80's band, their 1981's Sleep No More album is one of the best of the decade. So underrated.

Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crash
Rewind Icon
Member # 7484

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Crash   Email Crash   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Among many others, Depeche Mode's "It's No Good" kills me: "Gonna take my time...I have all the time in the world...to make you mine. It is written in the stars above..."

Joy Division/New Order great too--"Blue Monday," "Bizarre Love Triangle," etc.

Valley, I recommend "24 Hour Party People." Michael Winterbottom is always an interesting director, and Steve Coogan is great.

Posts: 2008 | From: Dixieland | Registered: Oct 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i would vote for depeche mode, but just by a thin hair.

valley, i recommend joy division documentary with the new order members. it's awesome. and then watch control afterwards if you can. i own control, it's a great movie. the actor that plays ian curtis did a fantastic job.

Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the excellent input on Joy Division.. my Netflix queue is getting a workout.
Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home