iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Bananarama

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bananarama
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Bananarama - Wild Life

My recent movie thread on "The Wild Life" has totally gotten me back into listening to Bananarama. What are some of your fav Bananarama tunes?

The backstory:

Bananarama formed in London in late 1981. Comprising of three best friends Keren Woodward, Sarah Dallin, and Siobhan Farley. Bananarama would soon become one of the most successful all-girl bands in history, even earning a mention in the 1987 Guiness Book of World Records.

-

Bananarama acquired their band name by combining Roxy Music’s “Pyjamarama” and the kid’s TV program “The Banana Splits”. They originally began performing at local clubs and were soon spotted by ex- Sex Pistol drummer Paul Cook, who quickly decided to produce Bananarama’s first single, “Aie A Mwana” from their soon to be debut album "Deep Sea Skivving”. Bananarama then backed up Fun Boy Three on their song “It Aint What You Do (It’s the Way that You Do It) and then again in 1982 for “Really Saying Something”.

From that point Bananarama went on to have incredible success on their own with tunes like “Shy Boy” and “Na Na..Hey Hey (Kiss Him Goodbye)”. In 1984, they released their self titled album Bananarama which included their first US smash “Cruel Summer”. Then the song “Robert De Niro’s Waiting” proved almost as successful in the UK. After not having nearly a much success with the political charged “Rough Justice”, the group bounced back in 1986 with the monster hit “Venus” from the album True Confessions.

They continued their surge with their 1987 follow up album Wow! which spurned hits such as “I Heard A Rumour”, “Love in the First Degree”, and “I Want You Back”.

I've always been a huge fan of Bananarama .. mainly because they can be so closely associated with several entertaining 80's flicks. Look at this list:

The Karate Kid - "Cruel Summer"

The Wild Life - "Wild Life"

Fraternity Vacation - "Shy Boy", "Doctor Love", "Cruel Summer"

Jumpin' Jack Flash - "Trick of the Night"

The Secret of My Succe$$ - "Riskin' A Romance"

Disorderlies - "I Heard A Rumour"

I cherish "The Karate Kid" and I can't imagine it being quite the same without the use of the tune "Cruel Summer":

The Karate Kid - Cruel Summer

If you enjoy Bananarama .. I challenge you to dig into tunes like "Robert De Niro's Waiting", "Love In the First Degree", and "Trick of the Night".

okay .. another classic tune:

Bananarama - I Heard A Rumour

Does Bananarama still got it? .. this music video should answer that question:

Bananarama - Look on the Floor (Angel City Remix)

Well, at least for the guys on here!

[ 20. November 2010, 17:34: Message edited by: Valley ]

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Siobhan married Dave Stewart of Eurythmics and went on to form 'Shakespeare's Sister', and Keren married Andrew Ridgely (of Wham!)

They were never really good singers, and they couldn't play instruments, but somehow in the amazing 80's they got to be international stars. I have very fond memories of their many hits.

For those that don't know; 'Skiving' means to play hookey (or just avoid doing something you should be doing).

Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
great post valley..
but I could never get into Banarama personally...a little too bullegummish for my taste.

Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Selling underpants to geeks since 1984...
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I enjoy Bananarama on occasion! Really didn't like their cover of "Venus," but "The Wild Life" is probably my fav of theirs, followed by "Cruel Summer" & "I Heard A Rumor."

Logan mentions two interesting little tidbits...I knew about Siobhan but didn't know Keren married Andrew Ridgely of Wham! Hmmm, that actually clears up some stuff for me...He was kinda hot back in the day...

About a month ago I was listening to the 90s playlist I have on my iPod and revisited Shakespears Sister, "Stay." God, what a different song for that time period! I love it!! After watching the video on YouTube, I think I triggered a little fixation with Siobhan. Came across this recent track...not bad at all!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_vDHnO2Njk

Cause I do love a man in a uniform [Wink] !!

If any of you are fans of the movie The Rachel Papers with Ione Skye & James Spader, you may know that Shakespears Sister had two songs on the soundtrack, "Electric Moon" and "You Made Me." They were okay but "Stay" is it for me... no one does gothic princess quite like Siobhan in that video!

-

-

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Member # 679

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for cindymancini   Email cindymancini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh here's a link to the "Stay" video...quite a departure from the Bananarama days...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iSwzHjpOzI&feature=related

I watched an interview with Siobhan about the video and she said she was completely smashed drunk prior to filming her part!! Wow, I guess the intoxication just added to her performance...she also throws in a little demonic possession to top it off...GREAT!!! Hahaha!!

Posts: 2234 | From: Shopping at the Galleria! | Registered: Jun 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aTomiK
.... has green eyes as well....
Member # 6575

7 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for aTomiK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Venus" was all over the place in ´86 and yeah, i kinda liked it too.
Cool video too.

Like pyro, i´ve never really listened their albums but i know the biggest hits.

Posts: 7054 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2008 | Site Updates: 7  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veronica Sawyer
Rewind Guru
Member # 2221

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Veronica Sawyer   Email Veronica Sawyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cindy, I love the Shakespear's Sister song and video for "Stay!" Kinda reminds me of something Siouxsie and the Banshees would have done.

They have another song called "I Don't Care" that's kinda cool.

Posts: 731 | From: Racine, WI | Registered: Dec 2003 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cindymancini
Member # 679

Member Rated:
Yes Veronica, it's funny you say that cause the song that I have right after "Stay," on my iPod is "Kiss Them For Me," by Siouxsie & The Banshees!! Love it!!
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

Cindy, do you have the song "cities in dust"? That song is even better than kiss them for me, which I love too.

We are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Pyro   Email Pyro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah, I'm certainly much more of a fan of Siobhan's work in Shakespears Sister. I still have the Hormonally Yours album in my collection...still listen to it every now and again too. The single "Stay" was a huge hit for them in the UK...and it did fairly well here in the States too. The song has also been covered quite a bit too by such bands as Cradle of Filth, and Blutengel just to name a couple.
Posts: 1802 | From: Planet Druidia | Registered: Jan 2009 | Site Updates: 3  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look out for the Nanas to do the christmas number one this year with their new single, "Baby It's Christmas". It's their first xmas tune ever, and it's massive.

Have a listen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb5QQTdgvoE

I don't mind coming off like a salesman for these girls, so go download the song at itunes/amazon/cdbaby/etc. It's only available as a digital download and costs less than a dollar, so don't hesitate, just go buy it and enjoy it this Christmas! Wouldn't it be cool to see Bananarama on the charts again? [Smile]

-

[ 23. November 2010, 18:46: Message edited by: Secret Admirer ]

Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The other day, I almost posted that it looks like I stand alone on my appreciation of Bananarama, but luckily Secret Admirer has arrived at the beach party. And that is exactly the setting that makes me a Bananarama fan. Their tunes totally remind me of being on Spring Break cruising the beach strip in a convertible listening to tunes like "Wild Life" and "Cruel Summer".

-

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
I think the only song I ever got into at all was "Venus"...and that's only because it had a good kick *** music video.
Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
I think "Venus" was so overplayed that it doesn't really seem the same to me anymore.

I would say the same thing about "Tainted Love" by Soft Cell. Both great tunes in the 80's, but the overplay killed them now.

Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Secret Admirer   Email Secret Admirer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got your back, Valley.
Posts: 929 | From: Deb to Tone | Registered: Dec 2004 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got your back, SA. Hey... we're making a chain!
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
I like where this thread is going.
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Secret Admirer:
I like where this thread is going.

It's turning to the dark side...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V6N4elMVX4

Secret Admirer
Rewind Maestro
Member # 3574

37 Updates!

Member Rated:
oh no! The agadoo guys [Big Grin]
Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Real good thread. I always liked their stuff as a matter of fact I bought all their reissued cd's a few years ago with the bonus tracks. Have quite a collection too of their 12 inch singles, they had a lot of great picture sleeves. Can't explain their appeal, but agree with Valley that they have some good songs in 80's movies that enhances them. I even go their most recent album even if it was kind of too dancy for me, I love the first one with Deep Sea Sky Diving and the early stuff with Funboy Three, but it was the 84 album with Rough Justice that I really liked. Also liked later singles like Love in the First Degree. Love those jail uniforms in that video. Have good personal school memories of the I heard a Rumour era, so it gets nostalgiac.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kash
Kash : Aha! He'll save every one of us...
Member # 297

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Kash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice thread. Their appeal was hard to define; I suppose it was that they're just a group of girls having fun: can't really sing, silly dance moves, odd name, catchy tunes: Instant hit.

I was dragged to see them live a couple of years ago with Culture Club and Belinda Carlisle on the bill. Needless to say, this gig was about as gay as straight can get but the girls (just the pair of them now) really got into it with the old hits and were probably the most popular performers with the crowd that night.

Still listen to Cruel Summer, only because its from 'The Karate Kid'.

Posts: 2041 | From: The Ice Planet Hoth | Registered: Jul 2001 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyro
Rewind Devotee
Member # 7658

3 Updates!

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by Valley:
I think "Venus" was so overplayed.....

What?..And Cruel Summer wasn't?

Gawd..that song is still played to death...not to mention all the damn cover versions of it bands have made over the years...it's almost nausiating.

Valley

Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
I never really heard "Cruel Summer" that often in the 80's for some reason.. but "Venus" was on the radio all the time ot seemed. I will agree that "Cruel Summer" has been overplayed in recent years.. with different versions including the one from "Blue Crush" .. which still enjoy.

Maybe the fact it was in "The Karate Kid" is why I still enjoy it so much.

Riptide
Rewind Idol
Member # 457

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Riptide   Email Riptide   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That Karate kid scene I can still see it when Ralph Macchio was riding his bike when Cruel Summer was playing. Mr. Miyagi and Elizabeth Shue. Good times.
Posts: 4413 | From: Where the streets have no name | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home