iRewind Talk Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» iRewind Talk » 80s Culture » « 80s Music » Simple Minds vs Glass Tiger

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Simple Minds vs Glass Tiger
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't You Forget about Me

-

Simple Minds - Don't You Forget About Me

"Simple Minds" a Scottish rock band which achieved its greatest worldwide popularity from the mid-1980s to the early 1990s. The band, from the South Side of Glasgow, produced a handful of critically acclaimed albums in the early 1980s. Simple Minds has secured a string of successful hit singles, the best known being their #1 worldwide hit single "Don't You (Forget About Me)", from the soundtrack of the John Hughes movie The Breakfast Club and #3 worldwide hit single "Alive and Kicking"...

versus

Don't Forget Me (When I'm Gone)"

-

Glass Tiger - Don't Forget Me (When I'm Gone)

"Glass Tiger" a Canadian rock band formed in 1983 was originally named 'Tokyo', the band produced several hit singles in Canada and placed two songs on Billboard magazine's top 10: "Don't Forget Me (When I'm Gone)" and "Someday," both of which came from their debut album, The Thin Red Line..

Which song and band do you prefer to never forget?

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xchazx
Rewind Guru
Member # 7158

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for xchazx   Email xchazx   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"all then things she said, she said..."

never heard of glass tiger so this is easy.

simple minds ftw

Posts: 675 | From: Miskatonic University | Registered: Jul 2008 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ronnie
Going to the Prom with Tommy
Member # 465

39 Updates!

- posted      Profile for Ronnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so, even though the simple minds track has a very distinct beginning...the "hey hey hey hey!" sticks with you, and it goes well with the movie, The Breakfast Club...it has been played to the death!!!.... i have to go with Glass Tiger...
Posts: 4807 | Registered: Oct 2002 | Site Updates: 39  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devolution
DEVO Divine Moderator
Member # 1731

8 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Devolution   Email Devolution   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Devolution here,

I go against the grain with Glass Tiger just because you don't hear it all that often and it ranks as one of those songs that you will play all the way till the end on the radio. That is a true gauge of a good song. How long can you leave it on if you are in charge of the radio?

WE are DEVO

Posts: 4228 | From: Home of the big landfill | Registered: Jul 2003 | Site Updates: 8  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kevdugp73
He's eating after dark again....
Member # 5978

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for kevdugp73   Email kevdugp73   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Being from Canada, Glass Tiger was very over played, so I'm so over them. A song off their second album, maybe third, "Diamond Sun" is quite good too. Gotta go with Simple Minds...true, I've heard it a million times, but oh how I love that song....and always a nice reminder of one of my all time fav movies....
Posts: 2148 | From: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: Aug 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valley

Dated Julie From 'Valley Girl' (allegedly!)
Member # 1322

22 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Valley   Email Valley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to give it to Simple Minds for both the overplayed tune and music group overall...

Sanctify Yourself
All The Things She Said
Alive and Kicking

Posts: 7845 | From: Smiling and glancing in awe in the back of a limo | Registered: Mar 2003 | Site Updates: 22  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Logan 5
Rewind Runner
Member # 1467

21 Updates!

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for Logan 5   Email Logan 5   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Simple Minds. Not only is 'Don't You' a classic (which is why it's overplayed), but their output pre that one song is great: 'Waterfront'; 'Promised You a Miracle'; 'Someone Somewhere (in Summertime); 'Glittering Prize'. Is there really any comparison?
Posts: 3383 | From: England | Registered: May 2003 | Site Updates: 21  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
P_a_u_l
Member # 1022

37 Updates!

- posted      Profile for P_a_u_l   Author's Homepage   Email P_a_u_l   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Simple Minds, every day of the week.

'Don't You' is the one that everybody thinks of when they are mentioned, but it's worth remembering that it's the only one they didn't write, and it's the one they least like as a band. Jim Kerr is quoted as saying that he doesn't like it, as it doesn't fit with the style of their own material, but he appreciates that it's the song which has generated the vast majority of their fans. So he's very glad, in hindsight, that they recorded it for the movie.

Posts: 3646 | From: Shermer, IL - where else? | Registered: Mar 2001 | Site Updates: 37  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J2ME
Rewind Legend
Member # 5728

Member Rated:
 - posted      Profile for J2ME     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by logan5:
Simple Minds. Not only is 'Don't You' a classic (which is why it's overplayed), but their output pre that one song is great: 'Waterfront'; 'Promised You a Miracle'; 'Someone Somewhere (in Summertime); 'Glittering Prize'.

Is there really any comparison?

No, not really. Simple Minds by a landslide.

Let's not forget:

Belfast Child

Posts: 1564 | From: Emirates Stadium | Registered: Apr 2007 | Site Updates: 0  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Fast Rewind Home